Does Jorge have the most deceptive record ever?

Khabilov and Daley were also robberies in my book. 100%

One of the best cases when people wanna base everything off record numbers, instead of watching fights.

Askren made that mistake and ended up KTFO.

He's very active, and rarely outclassed.
I 2013 he's had 10 wins, 4 split decision losses, 2 decision losses.
That's a good record.
First of all - it's unusually active.
Secondly; never being finished in 16 fights is impressive.
He's rarely completely outclassed.

If he had better luck with judges he could've had wins over Iaquinta, Benson and Larkin which would've made him a big name in 2015-2016.
We shouldn't get too hung up on official records - we all know judges aren't perfect.

Just weird that he's so hyped now , cause his past 4 fights have included the most clear cut of his recent losses - against Wonderboy and Maia.
After that he beat Till, but Jorge was knocked down in that fight - I thought he was gonna lose. Then he ad a 5 second fight. And now people are acting like he's coming off a long streak of flawless wins.

Last edited:
It's funny how many calls McGregors 13 second Aldo knockout a fluke, yet nothing like that is said about Masvidals 5 second knockout. Why is that?

Depends what you mean by deceptive. He’s got a very similar record to someone like Jim Miller. Is he significantly better than Jim Miller? I would argue that until Jorge’s last two fights they were pretty comparable. There’s been a lot of talk recently as if Jorge was wrongly held back from the spotlight in the past, but he’s always been a guy who has been given opportunities to vault into prominence.....unfortunately prior to the Till fight he generally lost to those upper level gatekeepers. And I’m someone who likes his style a lot. (He’s getting slightly boring with this huge push to become famous, trying too hard to coin phrases etc., but I’m still a fan).

The Noons, Cowboy, Till and Askren fights were all big fights at the time that he dominated

The Giblert, Demian and Imada fights were the only other "big" fights he lost and the Demian fight was a split decision and very even fight overall. He broke his hand against Giblert. Imada he got caught. I guess u can say the Wonderboy fight was "big" considering the card it was on but it didnt really feel like one

He had absolutely no pressure on him going into the Till and Cowboy fights

The two big fights with title implications that he had in recent memory were Wonderboy/Maia both were no1 contender fights and he lost both clearly.. that's why people call him a choke

He is a gate keeper who usually ended up on the wrong side of the decision. Recently he is considered a contender for the belt with the wins over Askren and Till but he wasn't one for the bulk of his career.
I can see why some folks will call him a journeyman since he floated from promotion from promotion with mixed results. I see it as somewhat of a floating gatekeeper. I think most people don't use journeyman properly like if they see a less than stellar record. You aren't a journeyman if you are a top ten fighter. Then again, boxing is different than MMA and doesn't allow blemishes.

Imo, he was always talented as a fighter. Like... had all the tools physicaly and tecnique wise. His problem were he always found a "way to lose" the fight similar as Thiago Alves. As he grew older he got a bit more calm and started picking his shots better. This is why he looks much better right now.

in my opinion Larkin and Maia clearly took 2 rounds - those were clear loses, and although he stayed in these fights, being competitive, i don't think they were all that close as some are constantly painting out, no such thing as "if it was scored as a whole.." in the West it's not, period.

i agree the Damn stoppage was bad, but it happens, and i also think bringing up his hand in the Melendez fight is irrelevant, that's on him, doesn't matter, he clearly lost, as he did against WB and Khabilov
add his 2 early loses and the Imada sub, he has at least 9 legit loses, and as you said the Daley and Bendo were even fights

so, at the end of the day, he's been truly robbed just twice or so
his record doesn't tell the whole story, but isn't very inaccurate either
great fighter though, hope he gets a KO against Diaz

Depends what you mean by deceptive. He’s got a very similar record to someone like Jim Miller. Is he significantly better than Jim Miller? I would argue that until Jorge’s last two fights they were pretty comparable. There’s been a lot of talk recently as if Jorge was wrongly held back from the spotlight in the past, but he’s always been a guy who has been given opportunities to vault into prominence.....unfortunately prior to the Till fight he generally lost to those upper level gatekeepers. And I’m someone who likes his style a lot. (He’s getting slightly boring with this huge push to become famous, trying too hard to coin phrases etc., but I’m still a fan).
Jim and Jorge have 3 common opponents in ufc: Cerrone, Chiesa and Henderson: look at the result. Not the record but the actual fights.
Anyways Miller is more of a gatekeeper than a journeyman but Masvidal is one of the best, most well rounded fighters at 155-170 in mma and is regarded as such among the mma comunity, much more than in forums actually

That guy haha He lands a knee and now he thinks he's prime-Anderson Silva :D

If Diaz doesn't beat him, the next guy will. He's been a gatekeeper during all his career and he'll continue to be a gatekeeper

JM is a flash in a pan right now. He got himself an incredibly rare/fancy KO that went viral, which is super convenient in this UFC/ESPN age we're in right now. He's an OK fighter but all this Masvidal mania will soon fizzle out. He's going to get mauled in his next fight.

But I don't fault him one bit for milking his last fight's outcome and selling himself. He'd be a fool not too.
Hes a flash in the pan if you're a filthy casual....

in my opinion Larkin and Maia clearly took 2 rounds - those were clear loses, and although he stayed in these fights, being competitive, i don't think they were all that close as some are constantly painting out, no such thing as "if it was scored as a whole.." in the West it's not, period.

i agree the Damn stoppage was bad, but it happens, and i also think bringing up his hand in the Melendez fight is irrelevant, that's on him, doesn't matter, he clearly lost, as he did against WB and Khabilov
add his 2 early loses and the Imada sub, he has at least 9 legit loses, and as you said the Daley and Bendo were even fights

so, at the end of the day, he's been truly robbed just twice or so
his record doesn't tell the whole story, but isn't very inaccurate either
great fighter though, hope he gets a KO against Diaz
When fighting against such amount of elite fighters and variety of stiles as Masvidal has been doing for such a long time, you can assume he may drop some decisions where he gets outpointed.
When do you recall anyone put Masvidal in seiours trouble? Jorge has been locked in the cage with such a row of killers since long ago. Has neven been KOed except for one early stoppage in almost 50 pro fights and since the last time he tapped, a decade ago, you barely saw him in any trouble.
He is regarded as one of the toughest guys to beat by his fellow opponents, no matter how many losses you can count on his record

Masvidal is way more proven than Gus. Gus hasnt beaten any top 5 fighters in their purime unless u consider a 38yo Glover in his purime

And he has that showing in a fight that couldve went either way against a champion VS Benson (which is all ppl remember Gus for, losing to Bones and DC)

Rofl are you reading your own writing? In the same paragraph that you’re praising Masvidal for going the distance in a somewhat competitive fight with a former champ you’re denigrating Gus for the going the distance with two current champions (both of whom have been described as goats) in very competitive fights.You’re saying Masvidal going to decision with bendo is better than Gus going to decision with jones AND Cormier man you’re outta your mind!

masdival should be nicknamed ranchero because he's the mexican cowboy. Good fighter, but always folds under the spotlight.
GwYzQSs.gif
But he’s not Mexican....

When fighting against such amount of elite fighters and variety of stiles as Masvidal has been doing for such a long time, you can assume he may drop some decisions where he gets outpointed.
When do you recall anyone put Masvidal in seiours trouble? Jorge has been locked in the cage with such a row of killers since long ago. Has neven been KOed except for one early stoppage in almost 50 pro fights and since the last time he tapped, a decade ago, you barely saw him in any trouble.
He is regarded as one of the toughest guys to beat by his fellow opponents, no matter how many losses you can count on his record
yes, as i said he's a great fighter
his record pretty much reflects that
i wouldn't say he's elite though, too small for 170 and always had trouble making 155
Maia had his back (dangerous asf) and some guys like Chiesa and Till dropped him, other than that he hasn't been in much trouble

Back