Does Jones have a say in his opponents?

GoodStoppage

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
What's up everyone.

So, in a recent interview, Dana stated that Jones would rather fight Cormier over Gustffason. Jones, supposedly, has been reluctant in signing the bout agreement to face the Swede.
First, let me state my opinion on this- I am completely confused why Jones is doing this because he is going to have to face Gus again eventually. So why not take him out now, then face Cormier next?

From a financial standpoint, Gus is the bigger PPV draw, promotion for the rematch would be epic. No way Cormier is the bigger fight in terms of PPV sales.

From a legacy standpoint, silencing the critics and putting Gus away convincingly would be huge for his career/legacy. Then they can build up the Cormier fight.

This leads me to the question..Should champions have a say in who they fight? I say no. The promotion pays you, made you famous, and at the end of the day, you work for the UFC, if they want the rematch to happen, you do it!

Thoughts..

No, He shouldn't.

A champion can't really have a say in their opponents, all they can say is "no", which is ducking

they can't and shouldn't be able to make Jones do anything he doesn't want to. They could strip him or fire him but that's their choice.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is really about money, he might be trying to get the UFC to offer him a better contract to get him to take the bigger money fight against Gus.

Unless their first name is Georges

Well, it is all about the money at the end of the day. They knew GSP vs Diaz would sell, just like they think this rematch will sell

But as champ, the best you can do is delay the fight. The UFC wants this fight, as champion there is just no way to avoid it

This is the crux of the issue for me. Champions shouldn't be able to pick their opponents.

If Jones actually refuses to fight the designated challenger, which he hasn't done yet, he should be stripped. That would suck and would deprive us of at least two quality fights, but it's better than a future with champions cherry-picking their opposition.

Unless their first name is Georges
If this is the Hendricks thing, I don't think that's applicable to this case. Georges chose to abdicate the belt, which is legitimate, and an option for Jones as well. Nobody should be forced to fight.

I don't like it when the UFC says a fighter doesn't want to fight this guy or that guy, that means they aren't strict. If you run a business never let the employees run wild. Listen to logical complaints but if they don't live up to their contract punishment. :icon_chee They should have a clear contract stipulation if you sign with UFC you must fight anyone determined by the company specifically in your weight class and especially if you are the champion or a pay cut for entire remaining contract and sponsor deletion. Easy.

Last edited:
Consumers demand

Companies want to deliver the product to suit demand in an as profitable manner as possible

Employees want to get paid as much as possible

Top tier employees want to get all they are worth knowing what they have to do, thus negotiations take time.
Sometimes employees feel their job functions aren't worth the money offered so either they take it or leave it.

Should Jones have a say in what opponents he faces. Somewhat. Input should be weighed, but overall it's up to the company.

Both guys have to agree to fight each other. I don't think Jones is under any breach of contract for refusing to fight someone just like the UFC can't make a guy fight if he declares himself retired.

I don't think there is any way around it. UFC will end up having to pay Jones to take the fight or they don't do it.

if they arent willing to face anyone the UFC places across the cage from them, they dont deserve to be called champion

"I said before the [Gustafsson] fight my sights were set on breaking the record," Jones said in a statement released by the UFC. "I want to crush the record. I want to beat the record so bad it can never be broken.

"I'm going to fight Glover and I will answer all the critics about the Gustafsson fight. I will fight Gustafsson after I fight Glover. I won the fight but I look at it as a blemish on my record because some people think I didn't. I promise you, he will be next."

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/mma/stor...f":"http://www.thescore.com/mma/news/449216"}

Jones is a private contractor in the fight business, of course he has a say (choice). That "say" can be based on a number of things, financial leveraging being one of them. Only those who are shortsighted or just anti-Jones don't consider any other possible basis for the say/choice besides "fear" and "ducking".

Sherdog went from "fuck Dana and the UFC, they are too controlling"

to

"fuck fighters for negotiating who they fight, UFC should have all the power"

Sherdog went from "fuck Dana and the UFC, they are too controlling"

to

"fuck fighters for negotiating who they fight, UFC should have all the power"

Yeah, especially when it comes to Jones. Jones receives a unique type of scrutiny and criticism.

Champions take all comers.

Best scene ever!! One of my favs! Jones has some say but it is true the Champion is to take on those who are in line for the belt. Honestly though, I could see the DC fight doing pretty good PPV #'s if they market it correctly.

"I said before the [Gustafsson] fight my sights were set on breaking the record," Jones said in a statement released by the UFC. "I want to crush the record. I want to beat the record so bad it can never be broken.

"I'm going to fight Glover and I will answer all the critics about the Gustafsson fight. I will fight Gustafsson after I fight Glover. I won the fight but I look at it as a blemish on my record because some people think I didn't. I promise you, he will be next."

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/mma/stor...f":"http://www.thescore.com/mma/news/449216"}

Ok, I hate Jones now. Can't wait to see him lose

if they arent willing to face anyone the UFC places across the cage from them, they dont deserve to be called champion

6umjq8knfqywjzi0s3c89nffa.500x417x1.jpg

Bullshit. What if the ufc wanted to have him fight Ken Shamrock 5 times in a row? Its his career and he wants the list of great fighters he is defeating to get longer, not to be put into rematches with guys that he beat less than a year ago.

He wants to fight DC because he feels DC is more deserving. I agree. As long as Jones isn't trying to fight Tito Ortiz or Michael Bisping, we shouldnt be mad.

Dude is out there fighting the best in the world and trying to take on new more difficult challenges and people complain like he is trying to duck true contenders. Its BS.

the only bad matches Jones ever had were people the ufc forced him to fight that he didn't want to (is sonnen).

Let's not forget that HE ASKED FOR THE FIRST GUSTAFSON FIGHT while people were trying to get him to fight sonnen and Henderson. He chases the challenge. He wants to fight DC because he sees it as the more difficult fight and a great to add to his resume. Its definitely NOT to duck Gus, who he beat after asking for that fight the first time around.

Back