Does it annoy you when people...

I got 2nd in gi and no gi in a tournament but only won one match. I left the medals at the tournament, didn't feel like I earned them.

Its pretty stupid.

I know a guy who is a purple, and got crushed in a NOGI advanced division by a blue, and a wrestler who doesnt even train BJJ. It was round robin.

He was tapped twice, and lost once like 20-0. Seriously.

And afterwards, he was on facebook with his third place medal, getting congrats by chicks and teammates who werent there.

I was just like, wtf dude, seriously?

Seems to me like a victory, you be mad and need to stop hating.

Who cares about the medal, at least he had the testicular fortitude to step on the mat and compete.

I usually say how many matches I had, the division I was in, and then how I did. Except when I am talking to my 94 year old grandma or little kids. Some people want to believe there are super heroes...

I have been averaging about 3 matches per tournament.

Just showing up is not easy; especially in the master/senior division.

I am competing in The Vegas Open on the 14th. Right now there is only 1 guy in my division. That's cool with me because this is more of a vacation in my mind. I'll be chillin at the pool, playing some poker, and making new friends... I told the guys to text me when my division is called. Pull up to the tournament, have a couple matches, get some kind of medal and walk on the strip like I won the Olympics!:D

Nah, I won't do that.

But it is a common question, "What brings you to Vegas?"
"Oh, just a little jiu jitsu tournament."
"How'd you do?"
***Pulls out some type of (hopefully gold) medal***
"Not bad"

At minimum, it is a good conversation starter.

I don't think I need to go into detail with lay people. (Oops, Freudian slip:redface:)

I got 2nd in gi and no gi in a tournament but only won one match. I left the medals at the tournament, didn't feel like I earned them.

pretty disrespectful to your opponent and the tournament

pretty disrespectful to your opponent and the tournament

Exactly. People need to get over this notion that you need to beat 20 guys in order to "earn" a medal.

Tell me how if you train for 3-4 months or whatever, sign up for a tournament, take time off work/school possibly, drive to the competition, buy a hotel room if necessary, then step on the mat and compete with whoever that you somehow do not earn a medal. Some tournaments are not going to have many people in them, but its asanine to think you didn't earn your medal in them.

It's not your fault if people aren't there to compete. If you show and they don't then they have to comeback on it. If 3 people enter a comp and so you all medal then it's not their fault is it. If anyone wants to bitch about it they should have entered the competition themselves. You can only compete against what's infront of you.

Back