Does it annoy you when people...

platfox

Silver Belt
Reaction score
Does it annoy you when people come back from tournaments and say stuff like "I placed 1st in gi and 3rd in no-gi", and then you find out there was no one in their gi bracket and there were only 3 people in their no-gi bracket?

Should you just congratulate these folks for showing up or should you mention to them that its nothing to brag about?

No, it doesn't bother and I don't see why it would.

I would congratulate a teammate win or lose anyways.

No, they actually went out and stepped on to the mat and competed.

Win or lose they still deserve respect for going out and testing themselves. They deserve their places.

I'm always proud of friends and teammates when they compete, but I think its a little bit different when they lose all their matches but still show off their medals.

Personally I think your record is more important than your place. If I didn't medal but went 4 and 1, I'd be much happier than going 0 and 2 and getting third.

I just kind of wished people would just say how many matches they had to win to get their medal so I don't sound like a jerk when I ask them how their matches went.

BTW, I'm not annoyed that they are proud to be competing, just annoyed they mislead me in to thinking they won matches. (I wouldn't even really say I get annoyed, just makes me think "oh".) Its kind of awkward for a second after they say "yeah I got 2nd!" and I say "cool, how many matches" and they reply "just one match, I lost." And we both just kind o f stand there quietly.

Last edited:
It is like the Lotto. If you are not in, you cannot win.

But yea, I must admit it sounds funny.

Uh... no... honestly... I don't really care what any one else does in a tournament. I'm just proud of my team mates and want them to keep training to improve and I'm proud they want to test their skills. If they medal, they medal, but if they don't, they don't.

If they won lost and medaled, but feel good about the medal, hey, I'm happy for them. Who am I to be the "competition police" and monitor their wins/losses? If they feel good, and they competed... I'm happy too.

I usually just ask how it went, not if they won/lost/medaled/etc. and the only reason I ask about it is so that I can big them up for competing and encourage them.

It actually makes me a little uncomfortable to have people congratulating me on winning. It just feels weird because I know I'm still a beginner and have a LOT to learn. Even when i take gold, I still think about certain positions I missed or submissions I didn't get or go for etc.

Does it annoy you when people come back from tournaments and say stuff like "I placed 1st in gi and 3rd in no-gi", and then you find out there was no one in their gi bracket and there were only 3 people in their no-gi bracket?

Should you just congratulate these folks for showing up or should you mention to them that its nothing to brag about?

No.

It's not their fault if the competition was sparse.

If they didn't actually go, and claimed to have won, I'd be pissed.

Why would someone even brag about that though? That happened to me once and I kept my mouth shut.

I just congratulate everyone regardless, but it does sound a little funny.

Its pretty stupid.

I know a guy who is a purple, and got crushed in a NOGI advanced division by a blue, and a wrestler who doesnt even train BJJ. It was round robin.

He was tapped twice, and lost once like 20-0. Seriously.

And afterwards, he was on facebook with his third place medal, getting congrats by chicks and teammates who werent there.

I was just like, wtf dude, seriously?

Yeah it would bother me but not enough to say anything about it.

I agree with Brad that everyone deserves respect for just stepping up and competing.

I have way more respect for people who had to fight in a tough or huge bracket, like light or middleweight adult at the major tournaments, even if they don't medal in their divisions.

Its pretty stupid.

I know a guy who is a purple, and got crushed in a NOGI advanced division by a blue, and a wrestler who doesnt even train BJJ. It was round robin.

And afterwards, he was on facebook with his third place medal, getting congrats by chicks and teammates who werent there.

But he turned a loss into a win and that takes skills. lol

Its pretty stupid.

Ok. Maybe I was off on my first answer.

This would sort of tick me off, because it'd make the 3rd places that I've earned through actually winning seem like nothing really any different.

Of course, then you have to start playing the game of "well...there were only 4 people in my category" and that sucks.

I'd rather people didn't brag at all. If asked, the say what they got and leave it at that.

I'm always proud of friends and teammates when they compete, but I think its a little bit different when they lose all their matches but still show off their medals.

Personally I think your record is more important than your place. If I didn't medal but went 4 and 1, I'd be much happier than going 0 and 2 and getting third.

I just kind of wished people would just say how many matches they had to win to get their medal so I don't sound like a jerk when I ask them how their matches went.

BTW, I'm not annoyed that they are proud to be competing, just annoyed they mislead me in to thinking they won matches. (I wouldn't even really say I get annoyed, just makes me think "oh".) Its kind of awkward for a second after they say "yeah I got 2nd!" and I say "cool, how many matches" and they reply "just one match, I lost." And we both just kind o f stand there quietly.

This post is full of win. Thanks for saving me the time of writing out almost the exact same stuff. I too have been in that awkward situation of the "just one match, I lost." *crickets*

hi all this my first post here

i have never competed yet (cos im too shit) but other people in my club do and the way i see it, they are representing your team. why would you hate on someone in your own team? i would let people practise on me etc.

even if they came 2nd place by losing one match, at least he had a match.

and i actually wanna know how well the team done afterwards, so i dont mind people telling me.

sounds like u r worried about others too much, just say congrats and move on, at least that's how i would handle it, a good rule of thumb is to just be humble with people

Its pretty stupid.

it's not a big deal, let him have his glory, guy is just tryin to get laid, dont be a cock blocker ;)

plus good wrestlers are almost like blues starting off, not like he is a complete newb and blues tap purples all the time, seriously, the guy has nothing to be ashamed of, maybe if he was a brown or worse a black

also i forgot to mention
i believe all dishonesty has its roots in insecurity. not just in sports.

and people tend to focus on what they feel is important.

so if he is talking about the medal more than the fights, youd know he'd rather tell you about what he did get, than what he didnt (thats normal) but not mentioning he never even won a fight would imply he was insecure about the impression that the whole story would have left on you.

No one would ever have questions like this if more people had enough sack to go out and test themselves in competition.

Back