Does Iron Mike Tyson BODY Royce Gracie at UFC 1

It would be interesting...I prefer the scenerio of Mike Tyson, Rickson Gracie, and Karelin being in the tournament...I think Mike would lose here.

Tyson was an extremely stocky and stubby ball of muscle with insane off the charts explosiveness, speed and violence. He also had the street fighting background and ill will in his heart.

I cannot think of a worse boxer for Royce to fight at UFC 1 except maybe someone with vast wrestling experience as well.

Honestly I gotta go Tyson and I was someone amazed with Royce when I saw him tearing up competition as a child.
U watched ufc 1 as a child

That's pretty gangster

People aren't realizing how easy it would be for a BJJ black belt to get somebody to the ground that has never heard of or seen BJJ before.

Royce prolly would not have represented the family if they had someone as high profile as Tyson

Rickson by armbar
Lol true

Ricks on did have better wrestling

And he was smarter. I'd prob go with him over Tyson.

Mike could even KO royce from the bottom, his power was unreal and that was with 12oz gloves, imagine barefist or 4oz.

People aren't realizing how easy it would be for a BJJ black belt to get somebody to the ground that has never heard of or seen BJJ before.
Don't think anyone is denying that

The moment Royce got ahold of him it's over

But there's a high likelihood he gets caught with an uppercut or hook of destruction on the way in with unholy quickness

Main things that comes to mind for me is just how much faster Mike was and that Royce was allowed to wear the gi which might help him tie Mike up.

U watched ufc 1 as a child

That's pretty gangster

I did, I was 5 and my dad booted me off the TV playing video games because he ordered the first UFC on PPV. He was a pro boxer and OG Just Bleed disciple.

I was actually really upset he booted me off at this time he normally let us play video games...until the fights started.

After that me and my brother would "practice UFC" by moving the furniture out of the living room and kicking the shit out of each other on the carpet

i am not trying to offend anyone, but in all honesty i feel that there is a rather high chance that upon royce's willingness to initiate grappling contact with tyson, mike would be of cause to freeze up and enter into a state of tonic immobility suddenly brought on by incidents of sexual misapplication as a youth...a triggering effect as it were

That goes both ways most don’t realize how a boxer of Tyson’s level would obliterate a schlub like Royce.

I feel like you didn't watch the event recently if you think mike would win. Royce would be using that kick to the thigh/knee against a boxer. He would have it cocked and it would have kept mike at bay who would be seeing it for the first time and realising he can't stalk in or he might get his shit dislocated.

Then he would close the distance and probably shoot straight for an ankle or knee attack.

Mike's chance of winning is a punch while muscling out of the clinch if Royce gets in that position and can't pull guard.

Mike loses to all the wrestlers too. He probably loses to Gerard Gordeau as well, the guy will keep his distance while spamming kicks into his shin.

That goes both ways most don’t realize how a boxer of Tyson’s level would obliterate a schlub like Royce.
Mike would never get a chance. He would never be in range, except while muscling Royce away if they are in a clinch. Royce would never need to be closer than needed to kick Mike's thigh and when he does close the distance he would be 50 cm off the ground.

Mike would never get a chance. He would never be in range, except while muscling Royce away if they are in a clinch. Royce would never need to be closer than needed to kick Mike's thigh and when he does close the distance he would be 50 cm off the ground.
lol Royce has never even been in the same gym with somebody who had the ability to move and control distance like a high level martial artist of mikes caliber.

lol Royce has never even been in the same gym with somebody who had the ability to move and control distance like a high level martial artist of mikes caliber.
But mike has never in his life controlled distance at the distance kicking range. The first time the ball of Royce's foot makes light contact with Mike's knee at a distance Mike's brain and muscle memory is telling him he is 'safe', his eyes will widen. Does he punch down at shin height to hit Royce effectively when he shoots a low single? Maybe. But he gets one shot before the leg attack.

But mike has never in his life controlled distance at the distance kicking range. The first time the ball of Royce's foot makes light contact with Mike's knee at a distance Mike's brain and muscle memory is telling him he is 'safe', his eyes will widen. Does he punch down at shin height to hit Royce effectively when he shoots a low single? Maybe. But he gets one shot before the leg attack.
Lmao
Have you ever trained a real martial art in your life or just drank cool aid with a bunch of pajama wearing banana farmers?

You’re argument is Royce will have the ability to react and get under mike faster than he can react. Despite the fact mike was infamous for fighting out of a crouch...

You’re argument is Royce will have the ability to react and get under mike faster than he can react. Despite the fact mike was infamous for fighting out of a crouch...
The argument is mike simply doesn't have the tools to deal with things Royce can do. Royce never needs to be at punching range with Mike without being damn near on the ground and having zero fear of effective strikes down there with the lack of kicks.

Mike reacts to the takedown - then what? Backpeddles? 1 punch KO? You really think he's got a 100% chance to end the fight with an arm punch on basically the outside of his own ankle on a low outside single leg? He gets one punch and then he's on the ground and the attack begins. Mike may have crouched, but he had never trained nor needed to attack below belt level nor deal with those attacks.

Even if he knew it was coming and at least conceptually had a game plan to avoid the ground: Mike was an incredible boxer, but you are acting like he's the fastest to ever do it. MMA has seen many people with faster reflexes with more exposure to grappling that still get taken down.

Mike Tyson himself said there's no way he wins in '93. Was he being humble? Maybe. But we are talking about a time when he would have had no exposure to grappling - he would have had zero training to deal with BJJ. His first exposure to how difficult a takedown and ending up in someone's guard would have been watching the first fight in the locker room, if he didn't meet Royce instead of Jimmerson. If we are talking UFC 8, he knew what he's up against and was willing to get 6 months of training its a little different, but sorry, at UFC 1 Tyson doesn't even know what a low single is let alone how to defend against it.

No one knew what BJJ was. Mike could maybe clip Royce with even a grazing shot that would be enough to put Royce away. But if Royce grapples Mike, it's over.
This, people are forgetting how confused everyone was with the mount position, or an ankle lock. "Why doesn't he just push him off and stand up?" The standup fighters that weren't over in Japan had no exposure to grappling. 95% of sports fans, except maybe those that had themselves wrestled would not have imagined anyone would ever get taken down when they could just 'back up' or uppercut anyone that tries on the way in.

25 years later when people have grown up training their whole lives, how many striking only defenses has anyone seen of a takedown? There are definitely a few knees out there on youtube but even with a puncher's chance, preventing a takedown with a strike is an extreme low % move - especially if you have no exposure to grappling and don't know what is going on - doesn't matter who you are.

Against such a pure boxer, Royce would need to do nothing but drop to guard position and butt shuffle.

Back