Does hand size matter?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by noXtransitory**, Jul 30, 2010.

1. noXtransitory**

noXtransitory** Green Belt

I've just recently started boxing training and I'm about to start MMA training, I bought some MMA gloves earlier which were L/XL size but they were too big so I'm going to have to get a medium. Does hand size matter much with striking? I tried to find out other MMA fighter's glove sizes but I couldn't find anything. Help will be appreciated.

2. stuntcum

stuntcum Yellow Belt

Nope. Anything you can't change(reach, height hand/foot size) doesn't matter. Focus on the things you can change.

P.S. while height and reach do make a difference, hand size does not. That's UFC sensationalized bullshit.

3. Apple Lotion

Apple Lotion White Belt

I'm 6'4, 310 and I have a 73.5" reach. That doesn't sound very normal to me. Will my reach get longer as I lose more weight? I have no idea what my natural weight is I'm guessing around 220-230 so cutting down to LHW with my reach would be ideal I guess, but then I see guys like Roy Nelson at HW with a 73" reach and even though his striking is pretty bad it's working for him. If I had to absolutely pick I would prefer HW as I would like to see the strength in my legs as I have cow type calves and pretty nice quads for a fat person which I feel are a huge advantage.

4. OHNO

OHNO Orange Belt

it's true you will never be as good a striker as Brock Chestnut. Also girls don't like medium sized hands even tho they say it don't matter.

5. EricBfromIowa

EricBfromIowa Brown Belt

hand size makes a difference in every aspect of fighting. there are too many dipshits in this forum that are going to give you dipshit info. and you can control the size of your hands, not the length, but absolutely the weight and width.

6. SteelHammer

SteelHammer Green Belt

parts unknown Occupation: asskicker TrainingStyle:
    I would say that wrist size matters more, for stability when performing a heavy punch.

7. xilliun

xilliun Brown Belt

Means shit all. The transfer of energy from a punch to the other persons head is still the same, the size of the exit point (hand) doesn't matter.

8. Bennosuke

Bennosuke Blue Belt

Does penis size matter? Not really, at the extreme ends it can make a marginal difference, but otherwise it doesn't matter. That being said... 11 inches:icon_twis

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  9. Bennosuke

Bennosuke Blue Belt

(I was torn between writing that and... well you know what they say about men with big hands ):icon_chee

10. Payak

Payak Brown Belt Professional Fighter

if you have a little dick you can find a woman with very small hands, it will make it look bigger.
    so in some cases it matters.

11. thirteen

thirteen Brown Belt

I swear some of the shit that UFC commentators come up
    with is ridiculous.

12. Div Muzza

Div Muzza Orange Belt

Hand size is not all that important. Medium is medium because thats the average.

13. Albone

Albone White Belt

Id say hand weight matters. Just like how fat dudes have heavy hands a lot of the time. Its momentum. I dont think size matters, Id say a really small and heavy hand would be best. Like when my dog steps on my nuts with his little paw and puts all of his 80 lbs into it, it feels like a spike (and I love it :icon_twis)

14. HDJ1982

HDJ1982 Blue Belt

Hand size does matter...There is 1/8 inch difference sometimes between a ko and just another punch. With a larger hand and well placed punch, you have a larger margin for error on the target. Your lbs pressure per sq inch is now spread over a slighty larger surface area, which very slightly lowers the impact at a pin-point location, but increases the impact around the entire affected area.

15. chino0503

chino0503 Black Belt

what hurts more? getting poked with a needle... or a stick?

as far as a ko'd is concerned... dont matter if your hands are small or big. if you touch the button you touch it.

16. Babic88**

Babic88** Yellow Belt

Its true