does gi color matter in BJJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my school encourages white, maybe so it looks more professional

Yo I got a gi that be all blinged out. I got my 20' spinners on the back... just buy a god damn white gi

Darkslide632 said:
I prefer white, simply because if someone gets hurt while working out, blood shows up easily so it can be taken care of right away.

I like the blue because of this reason, I'd be a bit worried about the white one getting stained

Yo I got a gi that be all blinged out. I got my 20' spinners on the back... just buy a god damn white gi

why does it matter to you what other men wear while working out? Perhaps your concern should not be with other men's clothes but your own technique.

I'd suggest getting either a blue or white one so that if you do decide to compete later on you're not going to have to buy a brand new gi

Sounds like the bigger issue is whether you have a judo/BJJ gi vs. any other kind of gi.
Most BJJ instructors would want you to be in a BJJ/judo and won't let you roll in any other kind of gi.
You can get a decent BJJ gi for $50 (HCK, unbleached) or even a judo gi for $40 (GTMA).
If you can find it even cheaper, go for it..just make sure it's a judo/BJJ gi. It's probably going to be white anyway (cheaper than dyed gi's). Once you know you want to stick with it, then you can upgrade.

Actually it shown that olympic competitors in red uniforms do better at competitions relative to blue uniforms. The sports considered were actually simular to BJJ: boxing, tae kwon do, Greco-Roman wrestling and freestyle wrestling. Each competitor was assigned randomly a red or blue uniform for each event. This could mean that competitors that wear blue uniforms do worse than competitors that wear red uniforms. In team sports, they also found that teams that used red uniforms outscored teams with white or blue uniforms. The effect very small and only noticed between roughly equally matched competitors, however. So buy that red kimono!

Isn't there a risk that a red gi turns pink after you've washed it a few times? Better make sure that it's good quality before you buy.

Don't get a black gi......

I mean do it if you want to. But my thinking behind it is "A black gi makes my belt look whiter"

I want a Red or Green GI. Have a white currently. Any BJJ comps that doesn

My blue gi means I'm a pimp. Be sure you're ready for this responsibility before you buy the gi...

I got an unbleached Judo gi from the Iraqi Republican Guard... stolen from Hussein international. Looks ugly as hell, but you know what? It's special to me. White gi's won't make you stand out as much. And Unbleached gi's make you look like you are either very hard core...or just can't afford a bleached one.

I'd love to see a reversible blue/white bjj gi, kind of like the judo ones. That way I wouldn't ever have to wear the green and yellow belt on comp.

Also, just thought I'd mention that they're gonna come out with a hemp gi. I wanna check this out. Anyone have any clothing made from hemp? If so is it itchy? From what I understand hemp is strong as hell.

At the Georgia NAGA I was told there was a girl in a pink gi... I saw her in her pink atama shorts and rash guard. Looked very nice on her (not being too perverted there...) I would have liked to saw the pink gi.

Yeh, she was rocking a pink and white gi. She was damn fine too.

Frodo said:
Actually it shown that olympic competitors in red uniforms do better at competitions relative to blue uniforms. The sports considered were actually very simular to BJJ: boxing, tae kwon do, Greco-Roman wrestling and freestyle wrestling. Each competitor was assigned randomly a red or blue uniform for each event. This could mean that competitors that wear blue uniforms do worse than competitors that wear red uniforms. In team sports, they also found that teams that used red uniforms outscored teams with white or blue uniforms. The effect very small and only noticed between roughly equally matched competitors, however. So buy that red kimono!

Most BJJ competitions require that you wear either an all white or an all blue gi

wear a white gi

dojo is not a fashion show

concentrate on your training and leave the color primping to the romos

I would say that wearing a black gi is disrespectful. Usually a blue or white gi for white and blue belts is your best choice. I probably woulnd't wear a red gi either until I was at least brown. Definitely not wear a black belt till I got the black. I think though that I am more of a traditional person. People who are white and blue belts wear black gis at my place but I think its b.s.

Sinister101 said:
I got an unbleached Judo gi from the Iraqi Republican Guard... stolen from Hussein international. Looks ugly as hell, but you know what? It's special to me. White gi's won't make you stand out as much. And Unbleached gi's make you look like you are either very hard core...or just can't afford a bleached one.

i have an unbleached and blue gi and the unbleached is more dirtball in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back