does getting tapped in training make u doubt urself

pitviper23 said:
1 question any previous grappling experience i.e. Wrestling or Judo?

Nope, none. Obviously, I am not going to get tapped every time I roll with a higher belt. I just meant to say I sure as hell don't mind tapping to people higher ranked than me, because they worked their ass off to get there and SHOULD be tapping me.

Tapping does not bother me at all ... in training. When I compete, and I lose, I am going to be pissed ... with myself. Then I am going to train harder, and get better.

I think it can be disparaging to people when they are training because they put to much emphasis on it. Tapping in training is not losing, it's a learning experience. You made a mistake, you paid for it, and now you are going to learn from that mistake, and try not to let it happen again. When I tap, I give props where they are do, and then try and figure out how and why I got tapped, and prevent it.

With that said, when I tap someone else, I am secretly smilling on the inside, while acting like it meant nothing.

I think someone said it best, when you see a higher belt tap a lower belt, it's cool. It's like you have something to look forward to, seeing the difference in their skill level. It's a little different though, when you are on the same level as someone else, and you feel they are just much better then you. That can hurt your ego, and I totally understand that.

The funny thing is that I am a very competitive person. I've played sports competitively my whole life, and I HATE losing. I just don't think of training that way, but I know there are people that do.

As long as I am not tapping to the same sub every time, I don't have a problem with it. For a while I was getting caught in arm bars from guard constantly, so it revealed a serious hole in my game. Now it's rare for people, even higher belts, to get me in a typical arm bar from guard. Of course, they throw them on me from a variety of positions now, but again, once I see a sub a few times, I try to never get caught in it again.

I'd rather be tapped than run around pounding on the new guys. When I roll with a new guy, I usually use that time to work on my technique, or try something new. When I am with a more experienced guy, I try to be perfect in technique, and stick to the basics. I have bad nights, but it seems like everyone does.

I dont doubt myself, because I know where I am in terms of my training. I dont mind tapping, because i know the guys I roll with technicaly SHOULD beat me everytime. Once in a while I have a weird day, where I get pissed everytime i tap, but I'm usually already having a bad day when that happens. I just take it as a learning experience.

Spoonman7 said:
I will admit than when I lose in training I start wondering how good I really am.

Wow, it helps knowing I'm not alone. Lol. +1 for easily toppled self esteem.

I remeber one day I was having an awful night and this kid who had never trained before came in and wanted to roll so we did and to be honest with you the kid was doing pretty good against me, I didn't sub him all that easily.........which really pissed me off cause i've been trainin for goin on 3 yeras and I've rolled against guys alot bigger htan me and beat them a helluva alot easier than this kid, adn this kid was a lil bit smaller than me.

Very depressing.

But I rolled with him the next week and just tooled him so it brought my spirits up a little higher.

Ring Shark98 said:
SOmetimes, especially if its a real bad night.
What i Hate most is how the guys who are much better than me get better at the same rate I do.

In addition to that, I hate when people excel past you when at one point you were the same.
For me, having a bad night isn't about me getting tapped; it's me doing badly in everything
before I get tapped.

i purposely grab guys better than me and my instructor has been setting me up with better guys. i don't feel bad for tapping, never have. i do, however, get frustrated when i make the same mistakes and tap as a result. win, lose, draw....its all a learning experience and not worth getting bent out of shape over.

I got tapped tonight by a guy who is 255 lbs and has not trained in two years. I am 160 lbs and have been training steadily for four years. It was no gi. We rolled for about 20 min but eventually he caught me in a gouilltine. I was in turtle position and he was in front of me and i should have drove and put him on his back, but i hesitated, and he sunk in the choke. That really upset me, because i should not have been caught in that. Oh well, nothing to do but train more.

anton

I wish i had a good place to train haven't had a decent match in a while. I'm not sayin i'm the world's greatest wrestler, there's just no decent clubs around this area. . I'm a heavyweight 6'2 weigh 268lbs, have a background in freestyle wrestling and more or less self taught submission wise. i'm decent with upper body submissions. There's this one place that is teaching kick boxing and "vale tudo" but the instructors are beginners at best, i know cuz i trained there for a couple of weeks. The whole time i was there i didn't get taken down once or submitted, but on the other side of the coin i've never seen so many flying guards. That was a specialty at that school. They made me look good anyways. LOL That was a big disappointment and waste of $90.

submitting is nothing to be ashamed of... it presents your weakness...

there's no shame in taking your weakness and making it a strength... but much shame in leaving it alone.

Tapping is part of the sport, not a single person who trains has ever not been taped at one time or another..the only time i feel bad when i tap is when its due to exhustion. Sometimes we roll for like 15 min at a time a few people in a row..this gets me me and sometimes i just have to tap and take a break. As far as taping to a good submission, who cares if its his first night or his 100,000th sub, its just a learning process.

Gsoares2 said:
i tapped to a three hundred+ fat kid because i thought it was discusting.. he was doing no gi and i was getting smother by fat when he was in my half guard... When i had to pass his guard i had to grab his fat squishy legs and push them out of the way.

I had him in half guard and then was moving to his back and set up the twister i had everything set up.. his leg, his arm around my head.... i couldnt roll him back over because he was so fat.. i tapped because i was tired of the feeling of his shit squishing all over my face and body... he didnt have anything and was like what the heck?

I understand where you are comming from but you have to give the kid credit for trying to do somthing about getting in shape. He deserves a little more respect in those words you typed out then that. Unless he shows up to class and just does nothing but hang out (and I couldnt imagine how he could possibly do that)

pitviper23 said:
I never feel bad about bieng trapped in practice, tapped in competition different story, I mean I'll try new shit in practice all the time and sometimes it works sometimes it's an opportunity for the other guy to catch me but if it lands it usually looks pretty fucken sweet so i don't feel bad tryining new shit and paying for it. Besides practice should be about working on your weaknesses, you say you don't have any? Bullshit everyone has something they can improve on. Also, If you never get tapped in training your not training with the right partners, just my way of looking at it

i agree with this bastard right here!!!! ive tapped him more than my girlfriends ass and still he keeps coming back for more LOL...... but when we go to tourneys its time to take out all we've learned on every one else

I understand it's just a learning experience, but I still feel that sting everytime I lose.

Gsoares2 said:
you just have to train more than them.. if you want it bad enough you will be on the mat 7 days a week..

that sounds great on paper but if you train 7 days a week you're likely to over-train or get injured.. or both.

not to mention hardly anybody has that kind of time.

Back