Does Fedor have a BJJ coach ?

KOskater

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
If so who ???

Or is his grappling solely based on Sambo ? Because that would be a major hole.

If so who ???

Or is his grappling solely based on Sambo ? Because that would be a major hole.
Only when he trains in Holland with the kickboxing team. They have a BJJ team there as well.
When he trains in Russia he works with his old coaches. Voronov - Sambo and Judo coach and Michkov - boxing coach. That's it.

I heard he frequently tried to appoint one, but they kept dying.
One lasted a week and a half apparently which is pretty good going for a Buttscooting Jonestown Judoka.

Only when he trains in Holland with the kickboxing team. They have a BJJ team there as well.
When he trains in Russia he works with his old coaches. Voronov - Sambo and Judo coach and Michkov - boxing coach. That's it.

That really makes no sense... considering he's even now so aware that his Sambo is not as good as BJJ, he stayed away from Monson and even Fabio on the ground entirely but apparently still won't get a coach.

It'll be a major weakness in the UFC.

It's not really the style of Eastern Euro men to lie on their backs and spread their legs for other men to get on top of them and ride them for 15 minutes all the while being hopelessly submissive, uh I mean looking for hopeless submissions, before the judges arrive to pull the top guy off and award him the prize.

Which is what BJJ is all about in 2016.

khabibnurmagomedov1.png

It's not really the style of Eastern Euro men to lie on their backs and spread their legs for other men to get on top of them and ride them for 15 minutes all the while being hopelessly submissive, uh I mean looking for hopeless submissions, before the judges arrive to pull the top guy off and award him the prize.

khabibnurmagomedov1.png

OnQFOii.gif

That really makes no sense... considering he's even now so aware that his Sambo is not as good as BJJ, he stayed away from Monson and even Fabio on the ground entirely but apparently still won't get a coach.

Crazy Russians. Think Sambo > everything else.

khabibnurmagomedov1.png

Lying on your back and just holding someone, Cro Cop style where he takes tons of blows till it's stood up is outdated.

BJJ in MMA is at a very low level. There's not even trying for subs it's mostly holding someone down until it's stood up.

And Khab will often wrestle smother for 3 RDs, hardly an example of how exciting Sambo is.

And, that's one guy using claiming Sambo's superiority out of a Roster of hundreds.

Last edited:
Crazy Russians. Think Sambo > everything else.

IDK if your being sarcastic. I think maybe as a general defense style it's better than BJJ. Because it has a more realistic and simple approach to fighting, like on the street.

In early level of BJJ your conditioned to pull guard all the time... this is part of making a foundation but it ain't gonna work if you get cocky and pull it on someone who outweighs you by a 100lbs and you pull them on you on an asphalt street on you cuz you'll prolly crack your skull.

But, it'll work on a mat where a ref will stand you up if you can absorb enough damage. Pulling guard is just the start of BJJ but it's seen constantly in MMA. It's pretty much all Cro Cop does and then you hear Rogan talkin about how he's trained w Werdum and got great BJJ. To be fair it did work a lot from him but it's pretty obvious and was totally negated at end of his carrer. There's so much more to the discipline.

When you get to higher levels of BJJ you become more dangerous on the streets, whereas Sambo focuses on effective combat technique sooner but they don't go as deep in the long run.

Sambo also has more striking, TD's, sweeps, etc and is meant as once again meant as general defense. In pure one to one MMA high level BJJ wins, no content. But if your in a dirty bar fight against multiple dudes, Sambos prolly better.

If you'd want to improve your street fighting ability and don't have the time, Combat Sambo (with real sparring) wins.

I've seen Sambo competitions live and they're pretty much MMA and pretty brutal. A lot of of the lower level ones they don't have the helmets or the outfits w short-shorts. If it came to a bar fight I'd much rather take on a higher pure BJJ dude (w no striking training) than a lower level Sambo practitioner.

But you get someone who trains BJJ and Mui Thai or boxing, they're way more dangerous than a Sambo dude and more effective in MMA.

Last edited:
IDK if your being sarcastic. I think maybe as a general defense style it's better than BJJ. Because it has a more realistic and simple approach to fighting, like on the street.

In early level of BJJ your conditioned to pull guard all the time... this is part of making a foundation but it ain't gonna work if you get cocky and pull it on someone who outweighs you by a 100lbs and you pull them on you on an asphalt street on you cuz you'll prolly crack your skull.

But, it'll work on a mat where a ref will stand you up if you can absorb enough damage. Pulling guard is just the start of BJJ but it's seen constantly in MMA. It's pretty much all Cro Cop does and then you hear Rogan talkin about how he's trained w Werdum and got great BJJ. To be fair it did work a lot from him but it's pretty obvious and was totally negated at end of his carrer. There's so much more to the discipline.

When you get to higher levels of BJJ you become more dangerous on the streets, whereas Sambo focuses on effective combat technique sooner but they don't go as deep in the long run.

Sambo also has more striking, TD's, sweeps, etc and is meant as once again meant as general defense. In pure one to one MMA high level BJJ wins, no content. But if your in a dirty bar fight against multiple dudes, Sambos prolly better.

If you'd want to improve your street fighting ability and don't have the time, Combat Sambo (with real sparring) wins.

I've seen Sambo competitions live and they're pretty much MMA and pretty brutal. A lot of of the lower level ones they don't have the helmets or the outfits w short-shorts. If it came to a bar fight I'd much rather take on a higher pure BJJ dude (w no striking training) than a lower level Sambo practitioner.

But you get someone who trains BJJ and Mui Thai or boxing, they're way more dangerous than a Sambo dude and more effective in MMA.
I kinda was being sarcastic. But the thing is that Fedor neglected his judo/sambo fighting style. And even though he had some success with his newer style (That he developed in Holland) where he mainly kickboxes, I don't it's a good idea to completely put Sambo/Judo aside. He should mix it. It's like he's not trusting his skills anymore. Maybe he has a trauma after the Werdum and Silva fights, idk.
And even if he decides to stand and trade, he should be cautious, like he was in all the fights that he prepared for in Holland, with the kickboxing team.
For this fight he only trained in Russia, And it showed. He looked exactly like the careless brawler the he was in strikeforce.

Judo Newaza = What BJJ and Sambo is derived from and they all work.

Sakuraba was a Japanese catch wrestler aka Karl Gotch mixed with Judo style grappling.
He subbed Gracies left right and center this idolisation of BJJ is stupid.

Last edited:
Fedor's one of the best grapplers ever at HW. Not training with a BJJ coach isn't what caused him to start losing but rather transitioning to a brawling style.

He really should have had a bjj coach when he was in nogs gaurd, subbing Olympic judokas, or under the hammer Coleman

And, that's one guy using claiming Sambo's superiority out of a Roster of hundreds.

Nikita Krylov is a karate guy who started training sambo a bit and submitted 3 BJJ black belts in a row for fun.

I doubt he has a specific BJJ coach. He's pretty proud of his combat sambo and judo background so I would imagine that is probably still the base of most of his grappling training. My memory may be playing tricks on me here but I think he did some training camps with Glory and they definitely have Jiu-Jitsu guys there so it's not foreign to him but I can't think of many high level Russian Jitsu guys.

I kinda was being sarcastic. But the thing is that Fedor neglected his judo/sambo fighting style. And even though he had some success with his newer style (That he developed in Holland) where he mainly kickboxes, I don't it's a good idea to completely put Sambo/Judo aside. He should mix it. It's like he's not trusting his skills anymore. Maybe he has a trauma after the Werdum and Silva fights, idk.
And even if he decides to stand and trade, he should be cautious, like he was in all the fights that he prepared for in Holland, with the kickboxing team.
For this fight he only trained in Russia, And it showed. He looked exactly like the careless brawler the he was in strikeforce.

Surely you jest...
I think its been proven by now and Feds is well aware Jits > Sambo and the holes in his ground game.

I could understand staying away from Werdum in a rematch but entirely avoiding Monson and Maldonado ??? C'mon...

Monson used to be high level BJJ but all he ever does now is North-South choke set ups for last 30 fights that mostly only work on Amateurs. He's well-worn, has been fighting lower levels guys in villages practically, and yet Fedor still avoided his game like the plague. Same w Maldo.

It's a National Pride thing... he already bashed BJJ and doesn't want to come out and say it's better or get a BJJ coach when Sambo is the RU Martial Art and his buddo Putin also claims it's the deadliest form.

So instead he goes on, thinking he'll just avoid ground entirely by improving kickboxing.

Maybe he's lost the strenght to power out of stuff like he used to and that's more what Sambo's about. Strength over technique vs BJJ which is pure technique.

At one point he was one of game's best ground guys but the sports moved on and he's no longer at the Grappling level he needs to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back