Does Dustin Poirier have what it takes?

TheStrangler

Dont be scared homie.
@White
Reaction score
27 Years Old, 20-4 overall record (12-3 UFC) only losses are to Korean Zombie, Cub Swanson, and Mcgregor. Lightweight is a tough division but I think he's one of those guys who is a couple good wins away from a title shot. He's on a two fight win streak, Michael Johnson is his next fight. Johnson is no can, he has some good wins under his belt. Poirier is still young, he's a good fighter, very tough to put out. Only been KO by Mcgregor and Subbed by Zombie. I can see him being a serious contender in 12-24 months if he stays on the win streak he is on. What do you guys think?

EDIT: He is on a 4 fight win streak.

Last edited:
Probably not. He's not really elite at anything. He's a great fighter though.

MJ is a big test for him, will tell us where he is in his career.

You know MJ isn't going to want to lose that fight, he's fighting for relevance and a loss to DP sends him down the rankings.

Who knows, I'd love to see a guy like Dustin wear the gold and if a guy like Bisping can do it after all these years I wouldn't count him out in the long run

Now is the time for him to make a run. Lightweight is crazy stacked but I think he can crack the top 5 within a year or two.

I think his striking is effective when he's got a guy backing up or against the cage, but when he faces guys who can dodge and parry, he's fucked.

His power is underrated. Dude always hurt fighters when he connect his punches or kicks. Just look what he did to a durable dude in one of his last fights, his body kicks looked to be on a another level.

Besides that he is good at everywhere, and has good footwork which is something a lot of fighters at LW lack.

Yes he have it. Conor fight is his only loss in a long time, take that fight and Poirier would be on a 8 winning streak, or more than that, not sure.

He's got a great mean streak, when he smells that blood in the water he doesn't hesitate.

The weight cut at fw really messed with him. Wouldn't be surprised if he captured gold at lw.

I think he has what it takes to beat Johnson and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a title shot (and potentially win) after another few wins. That's a crazy division and I wouldn't count him out at all.

Last edited:
LW is a shark tank. I don't think he can do it. Happy to be proven wrong though.

27 Years Old, 20-4 overall record (12-3 UFC) only losses are to Korean Zombie, Cub Swanson, and Mcgregor. Lightweight is a tough division but I think he's one of those guys who is a couple good wins away from a title shot. He's on a two fight win streak, Michael Johnson is his next fight. Johnson is no can, he has some good wins under his belt. Poirier is still young, he's a good fighter, very tough to put out. Only been KO by Mcgregor and Subbed by Zombie. I can see him being a serious contender in 12-24 months if he stays on the win streak he is on. What do you guys think?

Diamond is actually on a 4 fight win streak since moving up to LW.

Poirier has improved a whole lot, actually increased his awareness in the pocket so he's not getting hit nearly as much. Guy was dropped every fight at 145, just the improving of his defense has done wonders for him.

Can he do it? As in win the title? I don't think so. I'd like to be wrong as I really like Poirier, but Lightweight is the hardest division in the sport

I just don't think he has what it takes to get to a title shot. He's a solid top ten guy, though.

post-35872-Rashida-Jones-shrugs-I-Dunno-g-pyeR.gif

Back