Does Dong have better boxing than even he knows?

edisraw

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Not to beat a dead dong *rim shot*, but after he stopped doing stupid shit vs. Silva and pre hail mary KO, Dong seemed to be pretty crisp with his jabs and straight punches....he also held he own vs. Pierson in a similar way and Pierson is known as a boxer.

Does anyone else think Dong just needs more faith in his rudimentary stand up to be a solid 6.5/10 striker?

Thats how he got the nick name...stun gun. Left straights that would hurt his opponents

Eyes closed and swinging for the fences works every time

814128417.gif

I do think he has better striking than he displays as he's too focused on trying to grapple, but I still can't forget the time he got knocked out by a flying knee from Condit from like 8 feet away

Thats how he got the nick name...stun gun. Left straights that would hurt his opponents

Whys he gotta be all "Hi-Yah! Crane kick time" then? He could take some lessons from Lim and work on his elbows and knees and within 6-8 months be just as competent as most above average strikers in my honest opinion.

Well after that brutal KO, I've got a feeling will be seeing some K1 Dong next time out.

Is K1 outdated now? Isn't Glory the big thing now?

Glory Dong, we're gonna see some Glory Dong.

I love Glory Dong.

Whys he gotta be all "Hi-Yah! Crane kick time" then? He could take some lessons from Lim and work on his elbows and knees and within 6-8 months be just as competent as most above average strikers in my honest opinion.

Probably because he's too busy working on his grappling. He's always doing grappling tournaments and ADCC. Doesn't really have the time to focus on his striking as he choose to compete in grappling and MMA

He basically got forced into a brawl with Silva and luckily he willingly accepted it (right before Silva charges him with a flying knee in the 2nd you can see DHK waves Silva on) and decided to swing full force back.

I think if he did what he normally does and tried to continue to grapple, he would have lost which is why I said luckily above. He fully embraced the brawl which I don't think Silva (or any of us) expected. Hopefully he realizes his stand up is more than just needed till you get to the clinch

Well after that brutal KO, I've got a feeling will be seeing some K1 Dong next time out.

I love Glory Dong.

K1 Hughes, Lumpinee Shields, IBF Maia, and now, Glory Dong!

All hail Glory Dong!

I love Glory Dong.

Say Dong one more time.

I love Glory Dong.
I think you're on to something.

His left straight is money. Chit looks quick as fuck even in the slowed down gif.

Eyes closed and swinging for the fences works every time

814128417.gif

I do think he has better striking than he displays as he's too focused on trying to grapple, but I still can't forget the time he got knocked out by a flying knee from Condit from like 8 feet away

Eyes closed and swings for the fences my ass. Plus, Condit is no slouch in the striking department.

Eyes closed and swings for the fences my ass. Plus, Condit is no slouch in the striking department.

The gif's a bad angle, but watching the fight live it looked like he just closed his eyes and swung when he saw Erick start to swing. You can even see he doesn't notice Silva is knocked out and falling down and he has to look up before he notices

And no, Condit is no slouch in the striking department but he was soooo far away from DHK when he launched his strike. It was literally coming from miles away and he still got hit with it

3_medium.gif

His striking is still mediocre, but he has discovered he has real KO power.

Now hes gonna end up like all the other wrestleboxers that abandon their wrestling and headhunt for KO's that they rarely get.

I love Glory Dong.

Goddamn, does K1 still exist? Some of the best shows ever! Buakaw and Masato fights... just legendary.

The gif's a bad angle, but watching the fight live it looked like he just closed his eyes and swung when he saw Erick start to swing. You can even see he doesn't notice Silva is knocked out and falling down and he has to look up before he notices

And no, Condit is no slouch in the striking department but he was soooo far away from DHK when he launched his strike. It was literally coming from miles away and he still got hit with it

3_medium.gif

In his defense, it was a nice switched knee, but yeah, he should've prepared for it regardless.

In his defense, it was a nice switched knee, but yeah, he should've prepared for it regardless.

Yeah you can see when Condit misses his kick DHK lets his guard down a bit as he assumes Condit is out of range and Condit immediately launches his flying knee and proves he still was.

Was a sweet move by Condit like you say, but you shouldn't be letting your guard down like that. Especially against Condit

Back