Does Detroit have the worst overall professional sports teams right now?

Steve-French

What A Rush!!!
@Gold
Reaction score
I'm from Michigan, but I grew up a Green Bay Packers fan. I like the Red Wings, Tigers, and Pistons though. I was just wondering is there any other cities out there that are sucking this bad in pro sports?

The Lions went 3-12
The Red Wings are in last place of the entire league with a 14-39 record
The Pistons are in 11th place in their conference with a 19-37 record
And the Tigers ended up in last place of their Division with a 47-114 record

detroit-lions.jpg

Must be something in the water.

Must be something in the water.
<[analyzed}>

HAHA! That's actually just Flint though the rest of Michigan is okay. Actually where I'm from in the Northern part boarders Lake Superior which is the largest and cleanest fresh water lake in the world.

Detroilet is without a doubt the worst city in North America. How they even still have professional sports teams is beyond me.

Being a Mets, Knicks and Jets fan has got to be pretty bad too. Especially considering the Mets and knicks have arguably the two worst owners in sports.

I'm a long suffering Lions fan.

Two words. Chuck Long.

I will still pull for the Lions if they are not in the way of Green Bay or if the Packers are out of it; but man they are overdue for a run here. They have to be the best losing team ever, because they never really get blown out and are ahead a lot of the times they end up blowing it.

I used to like to watch them during the Barry Sanders days. He was great to watch run. I was in middle school then and just really starting to understand the game. Green Bay passed on Barry for Tony Mandarich (who was a bust) too. Brett Favre, Sterling Sharpe, and Barry Sanders on the same offense would have been awesome.

I will still pull for the Lions if they are not in the way of Green Bay or if the Packers are out of it; but man they are overdue for a run here. They have to be the best losing team ever, because they never really get blown out and are ahead a lot of the times they end up blowing it.

I used to like to watch them during the Barry Sanders days. He was great to watch run. I was in middle school then and just really starting to understand the game. Green Bay passed on Barry for Tony Mandarich (who was a bust) too. Brett Favre, Sterling Sharpe, and Barry Sanders on the same offense would have been awesome.
I have said so many times, "Well, they found another way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory."
Game blowingest team...

I recall one Thanksgiving they played the Bears to OT, then lost the game when the kickoff was returned untouched.

Barry was amazing. His legs were tree trunks and it was impressive the way his feet were still churning no matter what he ran into. I was always so worried he was gonna get hit and not get up.

I took care of a famous offensive coach who told me that what Barry showed on sundays was eclipsed by what he could do in practices.

Why aren't you a Lions fan if you're from Michigan?

Why aren't you a Lions fan if you're from Michigan?

Michigan is made up of two peninsulas that are connected by the Mackinac Bridge. I am from a City called Marquette in the Upper Peninsula as you can see on the map below. A lot of people from the Upper Peninsula are Packer fans because Green Bay is closer and that was the signal that was picked up during the radio and pre cable television days and it just kind of rolled on through the generations.

It's kind of weird too as the cultures of the upper and lower parts of Michigan are a lot different too. It's almost like two different states. The Upper Peninsula is more like a hybrid of Canada, Minnesota, and Wisconsin even down to the accents. It's not very diverse either it's like 95% white people. It's kind of desolate too as there is a shit ton of forest and lakes, Marquette is the biggest "city" and it's like 21,000 people with a University of about another 9,000 students.

map.GIF

No thanks dude. If your a Packers fan we don’t won’t you pulling for us.

Wings are rebuilding after over 2 decades of playoff appearances, 4 cups, and several Cup and finals appearances. It was bound to happen. Stevie Y will get the team turned around like he did in Tampa.

Pistons- Don't follow Basketball

Tigers- Don't follow Baseball

Lions suffer from out out of touch ownership and terrible management. They managed to chase two of the best position players out of football (Barry and Megatron) and waste the talent they have. The only brightside is that my only expectation for the team is that they will disappoint me.

Wings are rebuilding after over 2 decades of playoff appearances, 4 cups, and several Cup and finals appearances. It was bound to happen. Stevie Y will get the team turned around like he did in Tampa.

Pistons- Don't follow Basketball

Tigers- Don't follow Baseball

Lions suffer from out out of touch ownership and terrible management. They managed to chase two of the best position players out of football (Barry and Megatron) and waste the talent they have. The only brightside is that my only expectation for the team is that they will disappoint me.

I'm kind of fair weather when it comes to the Pistons and the Tigers these days. If they start doing good I'll watch again. I still read up on them a little bit though. The Detroit teams were awesome when I was growing up. The Pistons had the Bad Boys, Sparky Anderson was coaching the Tigers, Barry was running the ball for the Lions, and the Red Wings had Probert,Yzerman, and the Russians.

I have to say it's hard to be mad at the Red Wings though, they have quite the legacy and made the playoffs for 25 seasons in a row. The tide had to turn sometime, but it was a fun ride while it lasted. They will be back though. I remember having one of these shirts in middle school :D

vintage-92-bob-probert-probies_1_07cf70e49659970b43bf02508385ef1c.jpg

Last edited:
I'm kind of fair weather when it comes to the Pistons and the Tigers these days if they start doing good I'll watch again. I still read up on them a little bit though. The Detroit teams were awesome when I was growing up. The Pistons had the Bad Boys, Sparky Anderson was coaching the Tigers, Barry was running the ball for the Lions, and the Red Wings had Probert,Yzerman, and the Russians.

I have to say it's hard to be mad at the Red Wings though they have quite the legacy and made the playoffs for 25 seasons in a row. The tide had to turn sometime, but it was a fun ride while it lasted. They will be back though. I remember having one of these shirts in middle school :D

vintage-92-bob-probert-probies_1_07cf70e49659970b43bf02508385ef1c.jpg

Yeah the first time they missed the playoffs something felt missing in my life.

I'll watch the Tigs and Pistons when they make it to the semi finals and cheer them because they're the home team.

Back