Does Demian Maia hold an all-time UFC record for most passes to mount?

Damian is the best grappler in the game.

Wish we could have seen him versus Paul Harris to determine if that was true and I suspect its not. I think Paul would beat him like he did shields, he has animal power.

Wish we could have seen him versus Paul Harris to determine if that was true and I suspect its not. I think Paul would beat him like he did shields, he has animal power.

No way, Maia STYLES on Palhares on the ground. Maia would be ready for that leglock ALLLL day.

Would love to see maia go for armtriangles more, I'm sure he could add those to his mount attacks easily.
I wonder what his jiu jitsu training usually looks like, and who he trains with.
I saw some old video of him training with marcelo, and another of him training with calasans.

Jake Shields has a good passing ratio, even passed Maia's guard.

Maia took shields back more than once, but you're right that Shields is great at taking mount.

The criticism of Maia here is frustrating. opponents know what they are getting into when they fight him so they prepare for it. Some just have better defenses than others, he had LaFlare in a few submissions that LaFlare powered out of. Criticize the opponents for having good defense before criticizing maia for not finishing

Jacare has beaten Maia twice in bjj matches

That's true, Jacare is up on the score cards in BJJ matches, but Maia's MMA grappling looks better than Jacare's, especially his takedowns.

The criticism of Maia here is frustrating. opponents know what they are getting into when they fight him so they prepare for it. Some just have better defenses than others, he had LaFlare in a few submissions that LaFlare powered out of. Criticize the opponents for having good defense before criticizing maia for not finishing

No need to be so defensive of Maia, nobody said his jiu jitsu isnt good or said anything bad about him.
This is a discussion forum, things get discussed on here.

You did make a good point, a lot of fighters nowadays are almost unchokable from the back. Probably has to do with the gloves

Nah, it's justified. For example, he got full mount on Rory for like a full 2 minutes and pretty much threw no strikes and barely looked like he was even going to set up a submission. He just held mount. Had he actually thrown some punches or gone for the sub, he could've finished. Instead he went on to drop the next two rounds.

I get his philosophy that he's trying to end the fight with as little violence as possible. But it is a fight and violence is part of the game. He needs to mix his striking into his grappling a lot more.

That's true, Jacare is up on the score cards in BJJ matches, but Maia's MMA grappling looks better than Jacare's, especially his takedowns.

Naaaah. Jacare's MMA BJJ is way better. I think their MMA records speak for themselves.

Back