Does DC winning the title knock Phil Davis out of any future title shots?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Unicorn Princes, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Unicorn Princes

Unicorn Princes Banned Banned

Daniel Cormier has repeatedly stated that he won't fight someone he trains with, and that's why he wouldn't let Gustaffson join his team at AKA, because he thinks he will have to fight Gustaffson some day.

Daniel also moved down to avoid having to fight Cain Velasquez. So I feel like if DC does win the title that would pretty much knock Phil Davis out of ever competing for the belt at 205??

Or?

2. ralphus1

ralphus1 Extremely stable genius

Davis has a long way to go before his name is mentioned in title shot discussions. Other than a lucky win over Machida and a decision over Glover, Davis tends to underperform in big fights.

3. Tebowned

Tebowned Boise Dime.

I thought he's trained @ aka but is an Alliance fighter.

4. tko222

tko222 Yellow Belt

dc is stylistically worst matchup for phil davis.

5. Truebeliever

Truebeliever Brown Belt

And a win over Gus but point taken. Davis just isn't improving. They should enter him into a few amateur boxing competitions so hes forced to get comfortable on his feet.

6. Seven30

Seven30 Brown Belt

God, I hope not. I'd absolutely LOVE to see DC rag doll Phil.

7. Th3Sav4ge

Th3Sav4ge "What the fuck is happening!?"

what about gus not training with DC has anything to do with davis?

8. TdotK

TdotK Purple Belt

I think DC would be doing Phil a disservice by not fighting him for the strap, and he knows that.

Rashad is his friend, and he almost fought him. DC won't fight guys like Cain and Rockhold.

9. Unicorn Princes

Unicorn Princes Banned Banned

Phil and DC are ridiculously close

[YT]7lQF7eDA3RY[/YT]
    almost inseparable

and in last nights interview (its like 35 minutes, so I cant find the exact time off hand), DC said he would never fight a training partner, ever. and that he thought that was the difference between AKA and George Jackson's camp, that George Jackson was willing to bring Jon Jones in and betray Rashad, and AKA didnt want to force DC to train Gustaffson if he didnt want to, and that he chose not to because he feels like he will fight Gustaffson eventually

10. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

Either his Nog win was big because he was ranked at the time, or his Gus win is big because Gus is big right now. You cant have it both ways.

Phil is the #5 LHW. Most title challengers arent ranked that high, how does he have a long way to go? Who has a better resume than Phil?

11. RedSoul

RedSoul Invisible Belt

I'd say that he'd have to do more than most contenders due to the zzzzz factor. Fitch never got another chance even after a ridiculous win streak because, well, he was boring to 95% of everyone watching MMA. Phil hs similar issues, and when he anointed himself 'the Brazilian Killer' and called out a broken and much smaller Anderson Silva it was cringe worthy. He'd have to do something really remarkable, IMO, because the UFC most likely doesn't want him anywhere near that belt.

12. nyduccie

nyduccie Banned Banned

Hes ranked 5th in the world... Thats not very far AT ALL.

13. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

he beat the #4 guy in the world. That is bigger than Gus or DC have. He isnt as fun to talk about beating Jones though, so he is seen as boring.

edit: that silva call out was bizzare though, you are right about that. needs to make some videos with sonnen, then it wont matter he is boring

14. Headkicktoleg

Headkicktoleg Steel Belt

dude would have to go 6-0 against the top 5 before they give a shot. With good reason too. I'd rather watch carpet grow

15. jjresq

jjresq Red Belt

DC will fight anyone for the title at LHW he just said he would prefer not to fight Davis or Evans if it wasnt for a titleshot because theyre close

16. RedSoul

RedSoul Invisible Belt

I hear you, I'm not saying that he doesn't deserve consideration. I'm just saying that he would have to do something ridiculous in order to be considered by Dana and company.

Look at Fitch. He had to win 8 UFC fights in a row for his first shot. He loses, then proceeds to win 5 in a row, including beating a top 10 Paulo Thiago and a a top 5 Thiago Alves, but is never even considered for a rematch. If they like you, you get a title shot or a title rematch for doing interesting things on Instagram. If they think you're dull, you have to move mountains and part seas.

While Davis did beat Lyoto (not really) and Glover, he also got completely embarrassed by Rumble in between. I could even see Ryan Bader leapfrogging Davis with a good streak, even though Bader got finished by guys Davis beat. All because Bader could potentially knock a guy's block off with a single punch.

Actually, I'd like to see Bader v Davis, I think it would be a good fight.

17. 7437

7437 Gold Belt

??? they fight late this month....