Does Cuba have the best amateur program in boxing?

MoreKane

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
currently. I often hear Cuba and Ukraine are the two big countries with the best amateur programs

Not only these.
Pro boxing is just entertainment for pleasure business, not less far than opera not stuff about who is better athlete.
Sales = Money = better athlete in promotion X or Y.

Uzbekistan and Kazakhstan are top class as well
Yeah I was coming here to mention them. I wonder how many pros will see from those countries in the future. GGG is already a stand out.

Last edited:
Yeah I was coming here to mention them. I wonder how many pros will see from those countries in the future.

Are you familiar with Daniyar Yeleussinov? I’m expecting him to blow up VERY soon!

Yeah I was coming here to mention them. I wonder how many pros will see from those countries in the future.
Kazakhstan gives it's olympic champions $250K, not quite sure on Uzbekistan, in addition these champions from those countries usually get cars and apartments/condos completely paid for by the government and are set up with a cushy government job for life, so, it's almost not worth it to go pro.

That said, I believe i've seen more fighters from Kazakhstan turning pro recently

That said, I believe i've seen more fighters from Kazakhstan turning pro recently
Maybe.
Average boy in FSU does know : fights soul not $ in his pocket and fighting is conversation with yourself not with fans in cubicles.
--------------
You here are to be used to be strong.
You are alone in this lonely selfish rude money hungry world until end of round.

Uzbekistan is a spot I think we're gonna see A LOT of good pros come out of in the near future. They're always putting up numbers in the Olympics and we're starting to see some Uzbeks (?) coming up in the pros. I know nothing of Uzbekistan other than you don't want to fight one of those mf'ers. They gots skill.

Are you familiar with Daniyar Yeleussinov? I’m expecting him to blow up VERY soon!
I wasn't familiar with his name but after watching a HL of him on youtube I recognise him. I think he is good prospect for a pro, he has good movement.
I like Bektemir Melikuziev who won silver at the 2016 Olympics as a MW. He's just started his pro career and I think he'll go far.

Last edited:
Probably. As many have pointed out, a lot of the Central Asian countries formerly part of the Soviet Union have been very strong in recent years, too.

I had ammy KB guys from Turkey and one from Kazahstan.
BTW, I didn't had dirty guys from these countries.

Last edited:
For grappling there is Mongolia.
Not Soviet Union, still there…………..just google ……….
Grappling and wrestling very popular, medals per / inhabitants ratio is very good.

Probably. As many have pointed out, a lot of the Central Asian countries formerly part of the Soviet Union have been very strong in recent years, too.

In recent years? They're been dominant since the 1996 olympics. Cuba is the only nation that has been able to constantly keep up with them.

In recent years? They're been dominant since the 1996 olympics. Cuba is the only nation that has been able to constantly keep up with them.

I was thinking in the 21st century (basically since the massive US decline in amateur performance).

Cuba is small and boxing is not the number 1 sport but they are still the best amateurs.

Not bad.

speaking of Ukraine

Anatoly Lomachenko is the best trainer in the game today, would you agree?

250px-ALoma.jpg

Cuba does have the strongest amateur program. All-time they're currently ranked #1 at the Worlds and ranked #2 at the Olympics. They didn't even win their first Olympic medal in boxing until the 1968 Olympics which is remarkable considering where they're at now in the current standings. Their combined world level medal counts between both the World Championships & Olympics is 211 total medals with 114 gold medals making them the top nation at the highest levels of amateur competition.

All of their success below started in the late 60's (they first medaled at the Olympics in 1968) and mid-70's (first World Championships event which they medaled in was in 1974). Now, factor in their very late start as a successful boxing nation at the highest level of international amateur boxing, Cuba not permitting their women to box to even help contribute to their all-time medal counts at both the Olympics and Worlds, and the Olympic Games they boycotted. Over the last 45-50 years they've had to play catch-up with all the other top nations in boxing yet they still managed to do it.

Olympics all-time medal table
Rank|Nation - Gold|Silver|Bronze|Total
22px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
(USA) 50|24|40|114
22px-Flag_of_Cuba.svg.png
Cuba
(CUB) 37|19|17|73
22px-Flag_of_the_United_Kingdom.svg.png
Great Britain
(GBR) 18|13|25|56
22px-Flag_of_Italy.svg.png
Italy
(ITA) 15|15|17|47
22px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg.png
Soviet Union (URS)
14|19|18|51
22px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia
(RUS) 10|5|15|30
22px-Flag_of_Hungary.svg.png
Hungary
(HUN) 10|2|8|20
22px-Flag_of_Poland.svg.png
Poland
(POL) 8|9|26|43
22px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png
Argentina
(ARG) 7|7|10|24
22px-Flag_of_Kazakhstan.svg.png
Kazakhstan
(KAZ) 7|7|8|22
Boxing at the Summer Olympics

World Championships all-time medal table

Rank|Nation - Gold|Silver|Bronze|Total
23px-Flag_of_Cuba.svg.png
Cuba
77|35|26|138
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia
26|21|22|69
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
16|11|19|46
23px-Flag_of_the_Soviet_Union.svg.png
Soviet Union
15|11|17|43
23px-Flag_of_Kazakhstan.svg.png
Kazakhstan
12|13|21|46
23px-Flag_of_Uzbekistan.svg.png
Uzbekistan
9|14|18|41
23px-Flag_of_Bulgaria.svg.png
Bulgaria
8|8|19|35
23px-Flag_of_Romania.svg.png
Romania
7|5|17|29
23px-Flag_of_Ukraine.svg.png
Ukraine
6|12|11|29
23px-Flag_of_Azerbaijan.svg.png
Azerbaijan
6|4|9|19
AIBA World Boxing Championships

Last edited:
Interesting. Cuba is just two olympics away from passing the USA in the gold and silver medal department.

Should take too long to pass the US given it’s recent performances. Although I hear the olympics are going to be cancelled this year

I know Canada has already withdrawn from the Covid games.

Kind of apples and oranges, really as Cubans haven’t traditionally gone pro, so it’s like if the USA could have their pros fight in the Olympics, and dudes can fight in 4 games in the Cuban program.

Back