Does Conor have a different striking coach than the rest of his team?

I always wondered this myself. But, Conor used to be SBGi's boxing coach there and Conor has trained his boxing at the best gyms in Ireland. He trains with a TKD instructor too that he refers to as "Dragon". Then of course with Gunnar at SBGi and on occasion when they go train at Mjölnir. Owen Roddy is one of his coaches that has trained him for over a decade and is his primary padman.

The others don't look nearly as good with their striking but they also don't have the boxing background that Conor had, where he had great teachers (not trainers, teachers, like two-time Olympian Phil Sutcliffe Sr.) for a while as well as Paschal Collins, former pro boxing WBO Middleweight and WBO Super Middleweight champion Steve Collins' brother (who was a former boxer himself and even has trained Steve). So, Conor has boxed at the Crumlin Boxing Club (CBC) and at the famed Collins' Celtic Warrior Gym.

Conor did do some semi-contact kickboxing early on but I'm not sure where he did that at. He's trained with a lot of well respected coaches, at least in boxing he has.

Thanks for the response. That's the kind of information that I was looking for. It just seems like the other fighters on that team should recognize conor's skill, and thus try to voyage out to the coaches who helped build conor's striking game. one of Conor's boxing coaches should be recruited to SGB; the other fighters—artem, paddy, etc—should cross train with some ofthose teachers. The disparity in skill at that team is just beyond the difference that "natural talent" can create; there's obviously a different technical training aspect going into Conor's game.

Last edited:
Everyone nailed it. Conor just works harder, good genes, has more gifts, smarter, etc.

Read faceplanters post. There's absolutely no way it's just conor's natural gifts and hard work. I'm sure that played a large role, but he has better schooling in the stand up arts, and one can't just pull that out of their ass without instruction.

You and Michael Jordan could have the same coach, but 1 of you is Michael freakin Jordan.

Read faceplanters post. There's absolutely no way it's just conor's natural gifts and hard work. I'm sure that played a large role, but he has better schooling in the stand up arts, and one can't just pull that out of their ass without instruction.

Yeah for sure, it's just an amalgamation of all of his natural abilities that allows him to learn faster from his coaches

Sorry, jus read that post. Indeed sounds like Conor has some extensive training

You and Michael Jordan could have the same coach, but 1 of you is Michael freakin Jordan.

blackboard_false_analogy-lg.jpg

I'm sure I'd still have basic technique and fundamentals, something that conor's teammates lack in the stand up. I don't know why you'd even use that analogy since faceplanter already confirmed that conor has had various other striking coaches for the majority of his carreer, thus proving my suspicions and refuting your notions...

conor started Boxing before MMA.

He was doing semi-contact kickboxing first and then amateur boxing before starting MMA. So he already could box and knew how to kick properly well before he decided to try MMA as an amateur and then as a pro.

He was doing semi-contact kickboxing first and then amateur boxing before starting MMA. So he already could box and knew how to kick properly well before he decided to try MMA as an amateur and then as a pro.

It shows. In his early mma fights he was dominant on the feet

I know Faceplanter covered most of it, here it is.

logo.gif

He had an extensive boxing/kickboxing experience before he jumped into MMA with some solid coaches among the Irish boxing scene.

A boxing club in his hometown before meeting Kavangh. He said he thought he had enough w/ boxing to beat anyone until he got submitted and realised he hadn't.

A coach does matter but at the top level skill and mindset can be game changers. Dalys striking is solid. Dude is just not mentally strong.

A coach does matter but at the top level skill and mindset can be game changers. Dalys striking is solid. Dude is just not mentally strong.

Daly's striking is solid? I'm assuming you're not talking about Aisling Daly, obviously. Dat Karate chop.

4q3TZd9.gif

Back