Does Conor have a different striking coach than the rest of his team?

fortheo

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time believing that the same coach that produced Conor also produced the likes of Daly, pady, cathal, and artem. Do they have different striking coaches? because If they have the same coach, then I'm absolutely befuddled as to what went wrong there.

If they have different coaches, can someone get me the name of Conor's coach?

Conor McGregor's striking coach is Conor McGregor.

One of the conor fans out there must know the answer to this.

No one thinks the way he thinks.
Talks the way he talks.
Moves the way he moves.

There's a thing called....hmmm talent. Never mind what Conor said, it was just a nice quote.

I'm wondering what a Conor with a camp like ATT or Jacksons would look like. His camp looks like shit

Owen Roddy & Kavanagh turned Gunnar Nelson from a pure grappler, into the guy who knocked down Brandon Thatch last summer.

But yeah, Conor is another level of talent in that area. It's like asking why Jake Shields can't box like Nick Diaz, or vice versa with wrestling.

Conor trained boxing before MMA. I think that probably has something to do with it.

I always wondered this myself. But, Conor used to be SBGi's boxing coach there and Conor has trained his boxing at the best gyms in Ireland. He trains with a TKD instructor too that he refers to as "Dragon". Then of course with Gunnar at SBGi and on occasion when they go train at Mjölnir. Owen Roddy is one of his coaches that has trained him for over a decade and is his primary padman.

The others don't look nearly as good with their striking but they also don't have the boxing background that Conor had, where he had great teachers (not trainers, teachers, like two-time Olympian Phil Sutcliffe Sr.) for a while as well as Paschal Collins, former pro boxing WBO Middleweight and WBO Super Middleweight champion Steve Collins' brother (who was a former boxer himself and even has trained Steve). So, Conor has boxed at the Crumlin Boxing Club (CBC) and at the famed Collins' Celtic Warrior Gym.

Conor did do some semi-contact kickboxing early on but I'm not sure where he did that at. He's trained with a lot of well respected coaches, at least in boxing he has.

its mcgregor, hes special

His official coach is the same, but I do remember him in interviews talking about how he used to drive like 2 hours away 4 days a week to train at some boxing gym that has apparently has some notable Irish boxers.

Owen Roddy & Kavanagh turned Gunnar Nelson from a pure grappler, into the guy who knocked down Brandon Thatch last summer.

But yeah, Conor is another level of talent in that area. It's like asking why Jake Shields can't box like Nick Diaz, or vice versa with wrestling.
Haha I know you probably didn't mean it in this way but your comparison of Artem and Cathal to Jake shields had me laughing

The others you named are mortals.

Conor mastered karate, kickboxing, TKD and boxing. SBG is probably not the only gym he trained. Conor striking looks good since his first MMA fight.

Considering Conor says talent doesn't exist you have to assume he trains harder than anybody else he knows. That's going to help make his striking look a lot better than the rest of his team.

Gunnar's always had decent striking, but a lot of that is from his years in karate tournaments. He had a different stand up coach for the majority of his martial arts career and is uncoincidently one of the only decent strikers from that camp. I'm sure Roddy & Kavanagh helped him a lot, though.

Everyone nailed it. Conor just works harder, good genes, has more gifts, smarter, etc.

Back