Does Chris Weidman have the worst fight IQ in MMA history?

I still got to go with Melvin, this guy was super talented but that fight IQ.....
CrazyThornyFruitbat-size_restricted.gif

minutes later......
n5sa6r_jpg.gif

Reactions: G10
His fight IQ has been pretty bad, lately. He's also reaping the consequences of spending years of his career being injured. Plus, a lot of it is just plain, bad luck.

However, I think the fighters with the worst fight IQs are definitely Michael Johnson and Jeremy Stephens. Both of those guys are physically blessed within their divisions, but they find the dumbest possible ways to lose.

imo chris would have benefited from taking 3-4 years off after his ko loss to luke and neck surgery that followed. hes had one of the most brutal loss streaks and in each fight he made really poor decisions that got him hurt. all the way up to this leg snap. if he returns to fast from this i think we will unfortunately see another bad loss almost a guarantee .
hes got no quit in him and has the heart of a champion. could beat izzy on the right night still but his body and mind are past it. he took a shit ton of damage in his win over kelvin, his return to middleweight wasn't to bad but its not like he completely blew the guy out of the water.
hes had 20 plus surgeries. his body is broken down. i dont doubt he will recover form this because hes been through this so many times. and i dont doubt he has days in the gym where hes unstoppable i just strongly believe thats not transferring to fight night anymore. his best bet is to leave the ufc get out of the usada pool and go on a career end run like crocop did. or simply just call it now if he can afford to. not to be negative but who wants to pay to see him fight anymore. at some point you start to focus to much on their health and it removes you from the fun of the fight.

imo chris would have benefited from taking 3-4 years off after his ko loss to luke and neck surgery that followed. hes had one of the most brutal loss streaks and in each fight he made really poor decisions that got him hurt. all the way up to this leg snap. if he returns to fast from this i think we will unfortunately see another bad loss almost a guarantee .
hes got no quit in him and has the heart of a champion. could beat izzy on the right night still but his body and mind are past it. he took a shit ton of damage in his win over kelvin, his return to middleweight wasn't to bad but its not like he completely blew the guy out of the water.
hes had 20 plus surgeries. his body is broken down. i dont doubt he will recover form this because hes been through this so many times. and i dont doubt he has days in the gym where hes unstoppable i just strongly believe thats not transferring to fight night anymore. his best bet is to leave the ufc get out of the usada pool and go on a career end run like crocop did. or simply just call it now if he can afford to. not to be negative but who wants to pay to see him fight anymore. at some point you start to focus to much on their health and it removes you from the fun of the fight.

So basicely you're saying "I wish Weidman can get out of the UFC so he can go back to taking steroids and then win fights again".

I wish all Weidman fans were so honest.

Worst fight IQ? I'm not sure, but I do know he doesn't fight well under pressure.

Miesha showed horrible fight IQ in her second fight with Ronda. Clinch, get tossed. Clinch, get tossed. Repeat.

For starters, He hops on Luke's back and strains himself there a whole round exhausting himself instead of letting go.

He throws the worst wheel kick ever which ends him up on his back being absolutely pulverized from the bottom.
giphy.gif

Zero bottom game, just taking one of the worst beatings ever on his left orbital bone.

He starts telegraphing TD's against a former olympian who is known for one hit KO's and gets his left orbital bone cracked:
giphy.gif

A BJJ fighter keeps tagging him with the exact same overhand right round after round. Weidman's best defense is to block them with the sweet spot of his face till this happens:
tumblr_phni00MDxO1rofocqo1_400.gif

He takes a legal knee to that spot again and then pretends to be too hurt to continue but his acting job backfires. Even the worst actor ever in Sterling didn't botch an easy cheap win. Weidman's just not smart enough.
RoVRN0.gif

Here he leaps in with his hands down missing flailing punches, against a known counter puncher with quick feet.
InsistentWhimsicalAlbacoretuna-size_restricted.gif

And of course the cherrry on top his latest fight. A fully powered, telegraphed calf kick(the first he ever tried) with no set-up and with no hip turning technique, in the opening of the fight.

f75fea5f836e76ff3a505766c975e648

Does Weidman have the worst fight IQ in MMA history but also all combat sports history perhaps even all top level sports? If so, does this make him the biggest overachiever of all time?
Zingano running to take down Rousey always comes to mind here.

So basicely you're saying "I wish Weidman can get out of the UFC so he can go back to taking steroids and then win fights again".

I wish all Weidman fans were so honest.

i think if wiedman was using steroids pre usada it was as much as anyone else could and probably was and he wasn't going crazy and abusing it. i don't think he was but if he was this is how i see it if we are to simply speculate.

i think weight cutting was his issue. short notice fights. your hormonal system is just going to shut down with those cuts and knock out losses. same for johnny hendricks who fell off hard. IMO this was due to weight cutting to much and head trauma. no one is immune to that. its the worst part of the sport. steroids are way less of an issue than weight cutting is.

No. That would be Andy Wang

Guys a warrior though

i think if wiedman was using steroids pre usada it was as much as anyone else could and probably was and he wasn't going crazy and abusing it. i don't think he was but if he was this is how i see it if we are to simply speculate.

i think weight cutting was his issue. short notice fights. your hormonal system is just going to shut down with those cuts and knock out losses. same for johnny hendricks who fell off hard. IMO this was due to weight cutting to much and head trauma. no one is immune to that. its the worst part of the sport. steroids are way less of an issue than weight cutting is.

You mentioned USADA, which around here is a known way of avoiding to directly say steroids. It's alright, I'm not angry with you like I said I appriciate the honesty from Weidman camp.

He's lost fights he should have won. But really, the big one was that wheel kick. None of the others come close to as big a mistake as that one.

It was all downhill from there.

You mentioned USADA, which around here is a known way of avoiding to directly say steroids. It's alright, I'm not angry with you like I said I appriciate the honesty from Weidman camp.

i'm not directly saying he took steroids. you are. isn't that fighter bashing?

He has a way of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Before his first loss, his fight IQ was relatively high, despite a few lapses here and there. Like many fighters, his fight IQ plummeted when he realized he lost his chin. There are plenty of other examples of this: Koscheck, Ellenberger, even Rockhold. It's very hard to fight smart when you know you can get KO'd in a split second. You tend to fight scared and care more about not losing than winning. Ironically, trying to fight low risk often leads to dumb things that end up being high risk.

He's lost fights he should have won. But really, the big one was that wheel kick. None of the others come close to as big a mistake as that one.

It was all downhill from there.

In retrospect he never recovered or reached as high as he did literally a second before throwing it. He was champ, great run, getting talked about in p4p ratings and then he throws it, Luke grabs him and over the next several minutes almost kills him. Luke didn't kill his career, he just threw him down the mountain side.

Serra and Longo must hate Chris for allowing him to move up and get KOed by Dom <36>

Back