Does Chael Sonnen have the most underrated chin in mma?

Chael's chin is good. Nothing controversial about the knee tko in the 2nd Silva/Sonnen fight.

Man that elbow from Anderson is ridiculous. Most guys would have been completely fucked after that.

Holy crap forgot how vicious that elbow from andy was on sonnen jesus

Wait, you guys really don't think that elbow rocked Sonnen? It looks like he stutters for a second and then recovers.

I mean I dunno how long we're talking about being out of it to be called 'rocked', but to me it clearly looks like the elbow hurts Sonnen and he needs a moment to gather himself.

You said dropped.

Rocked =/= dropped

There are many adjectives I would use to describe Chael Sonnen.

Underrated at anything is not one of them.

He may have rocked himself with that spinning back fist

9wj9y.png

You said dropped.

Rocked =/= dropped

It looks to me like he got dropped after being rocked.

I can see how you might think he was just shooting for a single, but I think that was more a reaction to being hurt than his plan all along to fall to his knees while feebly and blindly grasping for Anderson.

You know how it is, how often do we see wrestlers shoot for a TD instantly after being hurt. Or any fighter period going for their bread and butter when in danger.

Man that elbow from Anderson is ridiculous. Most guys would have been completely fucked after that.

Yup. People tend to miss this aspect when assessing future MMA prospects. There are plenty top notch wrestlers coming out of college and the Olympics. But to be successful in MMA, you have to be able to eat nasty strikes going for the TD (like Sonnen, Fitch, Rashad, Edgar, etc.)

Considering how easily he gained mount on Anderson in the 2nd fight, I'm amazed at how Sonnen's grappling has improved. If he were fighting anybody besides Bones, I would be inclined to pick him in his next fight.

wat i gather from this thread is now chael as well as anderson did not get dropped in there first fight,wen chael knocked anderson down chael must hav pulled his leg out

Yes it's underrated.

diego sanchez

This man has an underrated chin for sure. Survives against Kampmann, Ellenberger, Koscheck and all the heavy handed strikers he's faced and never knocked out? THat's a great chin.

Chael went 15 years without being tko'd,and when he was tko'd it was a body shot not a head shot. Here is my all time chin list:
1 BJ
2 Hendo
3 Chael

Back