Does Carla Esparza have a solid chance against Tatiana?

Yeah. i think size is the biggest issue in this fight. I still think carla has a better chance than the odds make it seem, though.

Carla just outstruck a girl taller than tatiana in calvillo. carla has beaten quite a few girls taller than tatiana.
Yes but calvillo doesnt have the wrestling background of tatiana, and isnt as strong as her, carla is gifted she has the talent but she doesnt have a warrior mind, if she had that ferocity and never say die mentality she would still be champion. She has a good chin too, jj was hitting her but carla just fake drop because she wanted the ref to stop it.

She was a big dog against Claudia and should have won that fight so I would say so. Suarez is just gonna wrestle fuck her so the game plan should be easy.

She still lost. To a Claudia who had blown out her knee.

I feel intrigued to bet on Carla
Why? Carla is the worst to bet on she is too risky, she has the tools to win but her mindset and heart are another thing. You dont know which version will show up the chick who dominated tuf and won the title or the one who crumbles under press and gets cautious. She doesnt really have that fighter mentality, you can tell she just fights because its the only way she can earn quick money and use her wrestling background from college. Esparza has good boxing and has power when she sits on her shots but she doesnt really go in there confident, she needs a sports psychologist like Gsp used to get his mind right again.

Carla derailed that non-sense hype of cynthia calvillo and also beat gadelha in ufc 225 (carla almost kod her) . Wont be surprised if carla wins again .

Bad decisions are bad decisions. It’s a part of the game. A slight tear in her LCL didn’t warrant her much trouble but of course needed surgery to fix. I wouldn’t call that “blowing her knee out”. She moved just fine, had the same sloppy footwork and still shot a strong double leg. The knee had zero effect on the fight. And again, bad decisions are bad decisions.

Bad decisions are bad decisions. It’s a part of the game. A slight tear in her LCL didn’t warrant her much trouble but of course needed surgery to fix. I wouldn’t call that “blowing her knee out”. She moved just fine, had the same sloppy footwork and still shot a strong double leg. The knee had zero effect on the fight. And again, bad decisions are bad decisions.

Now you're trying to re-litigate the judges' decision. Gadelha won. That's fact.

I came looking for pics. I'm leaving slightly disappointed because there weren't many.

:(

Carla is ranked a lot higher since she started at the top thanks to TUF, but she doesn't have a single win over a top 10 fighter

Doesn't Carla have a win over the current champion?

I don’t keep up with WMMA and but I watched Carla Esparza’s last fight.

I was shocked because she’s often touted on here, and by the UFC.
Her striking was awful and her ground technique was also terrible.

If she is winning fights and is considered a Top 10 fighter, what does that say about her entire division?

Doesn't Carla have a win over the current champion?

Yes. Almost 4 years ago. When Rose didn't know what a jab was and tripped over her own feet when she tried to throw combos.

Not really. Grasso, Randa Markos, and Carla are all around the same level which is somewhere around the 10-15 ranks in the division.

lol
<{cruzshake}>

Carla is comfortably within the top 10.

I'd bet the farm on her vs KK for instance. Hope they make that matchup coz the way ppl act Carla would be the underdog again...

She also has wins over Torres, Herrig (both in the current top 10), and I'd certainly favour her over Waterson and Casey too...
Calvillo (who she also has a win over) is only not in the top 10 because of her testing positive for the Devil's Lettuce. She was #6 when they fought.
Moroz was also ranked top 10 at the time of their fight.

Carla is ranked a lot higher since she started at the top thanks to TUF, but she doesn't have a single win over a top 10 fighter

<Dany07>

You know, other than her win over the current champion... (and the several listed above...)

For some reason, folks think Carla has good striking because she dropped Claudia, but they forget that Claudia dropped her twice in the same round

It's pretty easy to forget Shit That Never Happened.

<{cruzshake}>

I just can't bet against Suarez, even though I rate Carla higher than most on here.

lol

Carla is comfortably within the top 10.

I'd bet the farm on her vs KK for instance. Hope they make that matchup coz the way ppl act Carla would be the underdog again...

She also has wins over Torres, Herrig (both in the current top 10), and I'd certainly favour her over Waterson and Casey too...
Calvillo (who she also has a win over) is only not in the top 10 because of her testing positive for the Devil's Lettuce. She was #6 when they fought.
Moroz was also ranked top 10 at the time of their fight.

Her wins over Torres and Herrig happened in the days of the dinosaurs, it has about as much relevance as Zingano's win over Nunes. Carla is still essentially the same fighter, Torres and Herrig have progressed significantly since then. I'll give you Moroz, but Calvillo's #6 ranking at the time was 100% BS and you know that as well as everyone else.

I agree she could beat Waterson and Casey, but Grasso and Ansaroff can beat her and Markos has already done so. As I said, she's somewhere in the 10-15 range.

Yes but calvillo doesnt have the wrestling background of tatiana, and isnt as strong as her, carla is gifted she has the talent but she doesnt have a warrior mind, if she had that ferocity and never say die mentality she would still be champion. She has a good chin too, jj was hitting her but carla just fake drop because she wanted the ref to stop it.

You need to keep in mind the competition they've been facing, too. This is Tatiana's first real test in MMA in my opinion.

She won her last fight but was robbed. Carla always is in the mix.

Her wins over Torres and Herrig happened in the days of the dinosaurs, it has about as much relevance as Zingano's win over Nunes. Carla is still essentially the same fighter, Torres and Herrig have progressed significantly since then. I'll give you Moroz, but Calvillo's #6 ranking at the time was 100% BS and you know that as well as everyone else.

I agree she could beat Waterson and Casey, but Grasso and Ansaroff can beat her and Markos has already done so. As I said, she's somewhere in the 10-15 range.

I think we both know that you wouldn't pick grasso with any confidence against Carla. Carla may be the same fighter—although, I think she's improved a bit with her stand up— but Grasso is looking worse and worse each fight; she's just not reliable. The Markos fight also could have easily gone in Carla's favor. Ansaroff is underrated, she'd stand a good shot against Carla, but I don't know if I'd favor her.

I usually find myself agreeing with you, but I feel like you're overlooking carla a bit here.

tatiana is very tough , on paper she should breeze the fight. but carla always surprises you so maybe

I totally expect Tatiana to smash her. Might even finish Carla on the ground.

eh, i think suarez is going to beat her comfortably.

she really does seem like the real deal, looks to be the best wrestler in the division, big too.

might even become champ in the future.

kinda feel bad for carla, she should've got the nod against markos, and could have gotten the nod against gadelha too, plus she always looks so depressing before a fight lol. she's scrappy as hell these days, can't believe she hurt gadelha on the feet.

Last edited:
Hopefully not, Tatiana is the only WMMA fighter I'm a fan of.

Back