Does blending your food affect absorption? My diet:

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by RAQ, Jun 26, 2008.

1. RAQ

RAQ White Belt

Does blending your food affect absorption? My typical day is as follows:

9am Shake
    Cup of oats
    Scoop of cottage cheese
    Banana
    Spinach
    Blueberries
    Acai berry juice

12pm
    Salad with
    Cucumbers
    Broccoli
    Tomato
    Tuna

2pm Shake
    1/2 cup oats
    Peanut butter
    Protein powder
    Banana
    Spinach
    Blueberries
    Carrot

6pm
    Vegetable stew (Carrots, Corn, Potatoes, Green Beans, Peas)
    Some kind of meat, Salmon or Chicken or Steak

10pm
    Tuna patty (3 eggs and tuna quiche)

That's been my diet for the past 2 weeks, it's a little better than the burgers and taco bell i'm used to but I'm sure could use some improvement.

2. Chris_Keller

Chris_Keller Orange Belt

I've been wondering the same thing for quite a long time.

TTT

3. JohnnyBuddha

JohnnyBuddha Brown Belt

Yep. Check out this link on food combining:

Food combining

It's hard and not necessarily advisable to follow the site's instructions to a tee, but it gives a good overview of how the body handles digesting different foods.

4. RAQ

RAQ White Belt

wow crazy read JB.

5. joshetc

joshetc butthole hurts from teh gay

So basically we can eat lemon juice with all our simple carbohydrates and our body will waste energy digesting them? If this is true, it seems like a really easy to to avoid gaining weight while still eating a shitload..

6. Vedic

Vedic Purple Belt

Ummmmm, its not that simple or every nutritionist or dietician in the country would have their patients doing it.

7. joshetc

joshetc butthole hurts from teh gay

I figured, which means they are over-dramatizing the effects of mixing acids with starches.

8. JohnnyBuddha

JohnnyBuddha Brown Belt

Yeah, it'd be interesting to study and analyze the theories more in depth than I can manage with my short attention span with chemistry and the like. I like the general gist behind the theory though: that different substances require different digestive enzymes/environments to be properly digested and that a hard-working or stressed digestive system affects many different health-related things.

9. Stuckey1

Stuckey1 White Belt

So, this article advises against ever eating a sandwich because it says to not mix bread and meat at a meal. Also, eggs and meat together is apparently a bad thing.

10. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

Hmm, I personally think that article is full of shit, just from glancing at it.
    So basically don't eat any thing with protein. Meat has fat, eggs have fat, cheese, nuts, etc. Basically everything that passage mentioned as a source of protein also has fats.

So basically eat like a rabbit? One protein a day?

11. ozzie

ozzie Brown Belt

If that's how I'm supposed to eat, I'm already dead.

12. JohnnyBuddha

JohnnyBuddha Brown Belt

Christ almighty, nothing on the site says you must eat in any specific way, and if they do advocate you following these rules to a tee, then they're idiotic.

It's the same as anything else health related: you learn the facts and you decide how important it is to you and then implement the facts into your life in whatever way you deem necessary. So if you notice you have low energy levels, you may want to consider experimenting with different food combinations. Same if you have digestive problems, bloating, etc.

13. JohnnyBuddha

JohnnyBuddha Brown Belt

IF you read the specific charts they go into more depth about the role that nuts, beans, legumes, etc. play. You just have to keep in mind that this stuff isn't going to fit into a nice little box and be black and white. Does it seem unreasonable that different foods require different digestive environments in order to be properly and efficiently digested? Do you not think that digestive system--like any other part of the body--has certain needs in order to function fully and that when its functioning is impaired, effects will be felt physically and mentally?

14. ronin0352

ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

Relax Johnny, it wasn't an attack on you or your worth. At first glance, it looks like a bunch of crap to me. It also looks like it's basically telling you to be vegetarian or at least to eat very little meat/animal products. I'm sure there are some very good points in there somewhere, but I personally have no desire to follow anything remotely like that. To each his own, right?

15. JinKazama

JinKazama Silver Belt

i seriously hope not

16. JohnnyBuddha

JohnnyBuddha Brown Belt

Cool--I wasn't all that pissed off about disagreement, but I do get a bit annoyed when discussing somewhat "alternative" approaches on here and elsewhere. Sorry if I seemed like a dick. I know I don't like it when people spaz at me. I'd like to discuss things but I just felt that what you wrote (and what others often do when discussing such approaches) was willfully ignorant and dismissive--that you were looking for a tiny bit of contradictory information in order to dismiss an approach to health which strikes me as very logical. So as accustory or defensive as some of my questions may have seemed (e.g. "Does it seem unreasonable that different foods require different digestive environments in order to be properly and efficiently digested?"), I still feel they were relevant and were mainly intended for discussion/illustration.

But I do feel there are some very good points in there and it is up to each person to apply it to his/her diet as they see fit. I don't apply many principles in my eating, but I try to eat fruits alone (especially melon) and I try to keep in mind that if I eat a big meal of meats and starches, I might be a bit more sluggish afterwards.

Digestion and assimilation interest me, and I'm not sure how much attention it is given in this part of the world "the west". I know that in Chinese and Indian (Ayurvedic) medicine, digestion is crucial to health and energy. For athletics, it might be beneficial in some way to modify what foods are eaten together in order to have better energy levels and better/more efficient absorption of nutrients, minerals, protein, etc. But again, there's always going to be some sort of trade-off.