Does Bellator's lack of drug testing take away from the "sport"?

jodka

Regional Manager
@red
Reaction score
What do you guys think?

It's widely reported that Bellator rarely tests it's fighters. Basically if the commission does not mandate it, they don't test. (Ben Askren, a CHAMP, was tested once in 8 fights and had 2.5 years with no tests.)

Fighters will juice no matter what. But with virtually no testing, obviously the juicing will be much more regular and abundant. Bellator fans always talk about respecting the "sport" and maintaining the integrity of the "sport", yet nobody seems to care about this.

Even with testing, fighters juice. I can only imagine the testosterone levels of a group of fighters who know they aren't going to be tested. For me, it taints the product. Just like, to me, the careers of Vitor, Overeem, Hendo, and Chael will always be tainted. (Though Hendo was never actually caught breaking rules, so I hold him above those others.) If your biggest accomplishments come in an Org with virtually no drug testing, you better back it up outside of that Org later.

Link to Ben Askren discussing the non-testing:
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/5/13/4328924/welterweight-champ-ben-askren-only-been-drug-tested-once-bellator-mma-news

Its never talked about because they aren't the big show. The UFC gets shit on all the time for it and they are actually making strides.

So for sure it does taint it. Heck you got to wonder why Tito/Rampage are suddenly so full of energy?

I don't really care about testing. Whatever makes it more enjoyable.

No. Drug testing in MMA is pretty much openly a joke.

It's not a promotions responsibility to test. The whole point of a commission is that the government regulates and handles all testing and medical concerns.

Well, word is it's pretty expensive and if Bellator's shows are profitable, i doubt they are THAT profitable to make something they aren't required to do worth it, and most commissions don't even mandate it.

It was only when they were doing reservation shows fighters werent tested. Most fights are under AC's now so fighters are tested.

Funky failed to mention that detail.

It was only when they were doing reservation shows fighters werent tested. Most fights are under AC's now so fighters are tested.

Not true, they go to states that dont test, right now its about 50-60 percent of the shows they test on, the others they dont.

In 2014 no event in any state or country should happen without drug testing.

No, who cares? This whole "PED's are bad in sports" is such BS anyway. We expect athletes to be in prime shape year round to entertain us in whatever sport they are in. They are allowed to take a bunch of supplements, that really do nothing, but the minute they take something that actually provides benefits they deserve to be crucified? It's ridiculous. PED's should be allowed just like recreational drugs should be legal.

You have to be a total fucking moron to fail a scheduled AC test which shows how stupid a lot of fighters are. Only Nevada tests randomly and they only do it for big name fights.

You have to be a total fucking moron to fail a scheduled AC test which shows how stupid a lot of fighters are. Only Nevada tests randomly and they only do it for big name fights.

Exactly. The tests dont do dick anyway.

I think at this point most people don't give a fuck. I'm convinced every sport is plagued with this bullshit, luckswing you can tell everybody is juiced up to the eyeballs.

I just don't think you can stop this short of randomly testing everybody multiple times a year, and by random I mean a goon for a commission shows up at your gym and tells you to piss in a cup or be refused a license nationwide. Of course that wont happen because some of the southern states dont bother with MMA, the reservations dont give a dick about what the whiteman thinks and most comissions just give out licenses to make cash.

I'm also under the impression that a few failures, are legitimate, but were used for rehabbing injuries and then they took a short notice fight they couldn't refuse.

This has been my understanding for Bonnar in the second Forrest fight and although not confirmed for the Silva fight.

No. Drug testing in MMA is pretty much openly a joke.
This.

I also think it would be better for everyone if nobody drug tested, tbh. The playing field would even itself out, because it would be more likely for juiced fighters to face each other than for a juiced fighter to pit himself versus a clean guy and so forth.
I just don't think you can stop this short of randomly testing everybody multiple times a year, and by random I mean a goon for a commission shows up at your gym and tells you to piss in a cup or be refused a license nationwide.
You're right. As an example, HGH is an extremely powerful substance, but you can actually only detect it the day of injection. That's not the kind of thing someone will ever be popped for unless they actually bore the exorbitant misfortune of taking a piss test on the same day they injected.

What do you guys think?

It's widely reported that Bellator rarely tests it's fighters. Basically if the commission does not mandate it, they don't test. (Ben Askren, a CHAMP, was tested once in 8 fights and had 2.5 years with no tests.)

Fighters will juice no matter what. But with virtually no testing, obviously the juicing will be much more regular and abundant. Bellator fans always talk about respecting the "sport" and maintaining the integrity of the "sport", yet nobody seems to care about this.

Even with testing, fighters juice. I can only imagine the testosterone levels of a group of fighters who know they aren't going to be tested. For me, it taints the product. Just like, to me, the careers of Vitor, Overeem, Hendo, and Chael will always be tainted. (Though Hendo was never actually caught breaking rules, so I hold him above those others.) If your biggest accomplishments come in an Org with virtually no drug testing, you better back it up outside of that Org later.

Link to Ben Askren discussing the non-testing:
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/5/13/4328924/welterweight-champ-ben-askren-only-been-drug-tested-once-bellator-mma-news
I was unaware of this but now that you say that I was thinking that during the Weigh ins king mo looked Jacked as hell WEIRD!!!

Their main concern right now is making money and growing in popularity. Having fights cancelled or overturned due to failed tests or injuries is not good for business. Exciting fights on the other hand are good for business.

I was unaware of this but now that you say that I was thinking that during the Weigh ins king mo looked Jacked as hell WEIRD!!!

Mo Lawal has always looked like that going back to when he was wrestling internationally and going through testing 10x more stringent than we have ever seen in MMA.

I prefer to watch roided fighters.

I prefer to watch roided fighters.

This, as long as they're all juiced to the gills.

wandyripped.gif

Mo Lawal has always looked like that going back to when he was wrestling internationally and going through testing 10x more stringent than we have ever seen in MMA.

But he's older and beat up to hell now. Big difference.

That said, he might have been juicing then, now, and in between. No matter the testing, there is someone beating it. It really sucks for the true clean fighters (which Mo may be), because it's a shitty playing field.

Back