Does being heavier make you more resistant to punches?

Let me illustrate , if Crocop was a 150lbs and I cracked him on the jaw hard , he'd be stunned / dropped.

He's 220 lbs right now. If I crack him I'd just hurt his feelings.

A bit simplistic but I hope it explains.

I doubt you would even hurt his feelings, my point was crocop doesn't have a head made for taking heavy shots, Roy Nelson on the other hand has a head for taking heavy shots. You think he gets that from the extra 30 pounds he carrys around his gut?

Gain weight = better chin?
Can someone explain this broscience to me?

Seeing as we're talkin fighters an athletes here, gettin heavier means gettin more muscle, ergo stronger neck ergo stronger chin. Bro.

Am I wrong?

It's not just the neck .
The added weight / strength along the whole posterior chain is what helps.

I don't know why some guys are bringing up fat guts etc etc
Are posters really that simple or is it just to be contrary ?
A fighter moving up in weight , won't gain a 40lb beer belly.

I think ppl are mistaking that I'm saying you'll get a Mark Hunt style chin if only u get heavier.
No , it will help . That's it.
It'll help in absolute terms . ABSOLUTE terms.
You know that lil guy who can drop your middleweight ass on the floor with a good punch , do u think he could do that if u went up to heavyweight ?
Now those OTHER HEAVYWEIGHTS might because pound for pound , your chin isn't as good but if u gain some muscle YET STAY IN THE SAME WEIGHT CLASS u don't see how it'll help ?

And , while its widely accepted in fight circles , I'm also basing this on personal experience where a gym mate of mine fought a guy , got dropped 3 times in 3 minutes . Fought him again 8 months later only this time , instead of being right at the weight limit , he put on 10 - 12 solid pounds , cut weight and went in there the bigger man and lost a SD in an all out war. The only reason he lost was a tad hesitant in the first round (obviously) trying to gauge his power or more accurately , his resistance to it. Came back after the first round "how you're feeling ?" "he hits like a bitch." and just took it to him.

You can disregard such personal experiences or twist it to your beliefs and/or u can maybe stop n think that hey , maybe theres something to it.

Ps - I'm using caps to stress a point or phrase. The mobile site doesn't have italics or bold fonts.

Last edited:
If you understand what causes a knockout...then you'll be able to answer this question quite easily.

Strengthening the neck will help a bit.My coach said for the most part,some people can take the bigger hits and some can't .

It has to do with the Central Nervous System more than anything. No workout can change your body to accept damage better.

My advice- don't get hit so much.

Strengthening the neck will help a bit.My coach said for the most part,some people can take the bigger hits and some can't .

It has to do with the Central Nervous System more than anything. No workout can change your body to accept damage better.

My advice- don't get hit so much.

Agreed, it's along the lines of punching power, some people are born with natural kinect torque leading to extreme amounts of force, if not you can get stronger and learn to hit harder but chances are your still not going to become a knockout puncher.

Just like the guy whos born with a "weak" chin he can strengthin it, doesn't meen hes going to achieve a "strong" chin.

Too many ppl here give the advice "gain weight" for most everything.

Wholeheartedly agree with this.

Not just in here but in America as a whole. Gyms are full of dudes that will quickly tell you they're trying to gain 10 pounds of muscle.
Ok your bigger now but your deficiencies in skill remain.

Back