Does being heavier make you more resistant to punches?

Straightcross

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Never get a headache or sore jaw any more and the only thing that changed is that I am heavier now and I took some big shots. Granted they were still from 16oz gloves

Yes.

If you live punch me and have to get your force through 6 inches of fat and 2 inches of muscle to hit my liver, that's good new for me. Much better than just two inches of muscle to distribute the force.

They have weight classes in fighting for a reason.

I think so but I don't think being fatass turns you into an iron jaw. Just a little more resistance.

Chin doesn't really scale up with weight. You see more KO's from the big guys for a reason.

And if you're bigger within a weight class due to tougher weight cutting, that probably isn't doing your chin any favors either.

For some reason, I found this thread breathtaking-ly funny.

Depends where you are being punched, to the face/chin etc it wouldnt really make a difference, but to the body it would

yes being heavier helps with body shots (and blocking) overall but not head shots. you see this factor more during sparring cause you can get matched up with someone way taller and heavier.

i would still rather fight someone around my weight than someone much heavier than me assuming we are around the same height and he's got decent cardio to last 2-3 rounds (for sparring purposes only). those 2-3 rounds are a biatch to fight cause every punch is way more meatier and backed by more weight (force). i am usually matched up with people that are heavier than me. the 2 times i fought someone around my weight, i was sooooo happy... shots so much lighter and easier on me... 1 of them had a lil better control with his shots too so he was fast but real light when he connected with me.

Never get a headache or sore jaw any more and the only thing that changed is that I am heavier now and I took some big shots. Granted they were still from 16oz gloves

Yes and no.

Yes your resistance gets better but only to some degree.
Makes more of a difference if u get heavier WHILE staying in the same weight class.

Yes and no.

Yes your resistance gets better but only to some degree.
Makes more of a difference if u get heavier WHILE staying in the same weight class.

you are talking about amateurs (such as yourself) or pro fighers? but if it's sparring then it doesn't really matter unless your coach is specifically matching you up with opponents only in your weight class. or do only spar with people around your weight?

for general sparring purposes, there usually is no weight limit where i spar. we take turns when we spar. guy spars for 1 round, one guy leaves, 3rd guy fights 2nd guy... 2nd guy leaves and 4th guy fights 3rd guy and keep on rotating. everybody fights 2 straight rounds. u can get matched up with someone much much heavier. the heavier dude usually takes it easier if the weight difference is really large.

I'm talking in terms of fighting.
Too many ppl here give the advice "gain weight" for most everything .
Need power ? Gain weight .
Wanna get stronger ? Better chin ? Gain weight !
They aren't thinking from a competitive fighter's pov.
Yeah, in absolute terms , it works but if u end up in a higher Weight class then you're back on the low end of the scale. Your problem is pound for pound , right ?
The trick is to gain all these attributes WITHOUT going up in divisions or even going down in weight .

The rest of your post is pretty much universal.

Last edited:
I'm talking in terms of fighting.

The rest of your post is pretty much universal.

ok...

actually what i was trying to get at was this:

this doesn't really apply to sparring because there are no weight limits usually. difference is more significant if someone is WAY heavier than you.

What he is saying is you're chin doesn't improve but your durability does.

No , what I'm saying is , if u move up in weight , your chin / punch resistance will improve but now you're in a heavier weight class where the guys hit harder and now you're back to square one.

ok...

actually what i was trying to get at was this:

this doesn't really apply to sparring because there are no weight limits usually. difference is more significant if someone is WAY heavier than you.

I edited the post to include a bit more.

I think it has more to do with bone structure and genetics, guys like big country, cabbage, can take extreme amounts of punishment, compaired to guys like Crocop or Struve. I dont think it has to do with their biceps or bellys as much as their bone structure, thick skulled and strong jawed behemoths. lol

I think it has more to do with bone structure and genetics, guys like big country, cabbage, can take extreme amounts of punishment, compaired to guys like Crocop or Struve. I dont think it has to do with their biceps or bellys as much as their bone structure, thick skulled and strong jawed behemoths. lol

Let me illustrate , if Crocop was a 150lbs and I cracked him on the jaw hard , he'd be stunned / dropped.

He's 220 lbs right now. If I crack him I'd just hurt his feelings.

A bit simplistic but I hope it explains.

Stronger neck = more resistance to torque on the neck created from the impact.

Does resembling fatlardo gracie aid you with striking? Not really (although SummerStriker did make a decent point in terms of impact resistance)

But being an endormorph who has a naturally thick football neck will certainly aid your chin.

No , what I'm saying is , if u move up in weight , your chin / punch resistance will improve but now you're in a heavier weight class where the guys hit harder and now you're back to square one.

No it doesn't work that way.

Let me illustrate , if Crocop was a 150lbs and I cracked him on the jaw hard , he'd be stunned / dropped.

He's 220 lbs right now. If I crack him I'd just hurt his feelings.

A bit simplistic but I hope it explains.

Sorry KP, but I don't think "chin" works that way, unless those 70lbs all go straight to reinforcing his neck.

Back