Does being fat help with grappling?

being fat helps with everything; cardio, agility, picking up the ladies, squeezing into tight spaces you name it there isn't a situation where being fat isn't helpful.

Including being sarcastic on the internet.

well i'm pretty big and it sucks for me.

like you might think, being heavy is good in certain situations. not many in my gym can escape my north south when i manage to get it. it helps with any sort of pressure assuming you can control the other guy's hips and stay off of your back.

i get swept a lot since my center of gravity is fairly high. honestly i try to play a bottom game most of the time since i have a decent closed guard and half guard.

i'm not ultra fat, but i'm definitely too big for my own good. my knees and ankles take a pounding. it hurts my ability to progress as fast as i want to and my risk of injury is higher. hell i just got back on the mat recently after tearing up my knee in september.

that said, i have been losing weight at a rapid clip since i started training. the lighter i get the easier everything gets, not just on the mat. BJJ has given me the kick in the pants i needed to finally focus on getting healthy.

As a former fat person (now a chubby person). I can say it helps being heavy on top, but as I've been losing weight it's exposed how little I had to rely on good top pressure to feel heavy, my top game is definitely not as crushing, and I've been playing much more bottom, but now learning how to properly use my weight with pressure.

I started training at 230 pounds. I'm now around 190 and I find life much easier now. I could even stand to lose more weight if it really comes down to it.

Back