Does beating a 40 year old faded GSP at 155 mean anything at all?

If GSP comes back and beats a Prime Khabib, he’ll be the unquestioned GOAT. That will be the end of GOAT thread debates on sherdog..
LOL most delusional, idealistic statement ever. Clearly people would say Khabib sucks, was never good, and that GSP was ducking 170 if that fight actually took place. The GOAT debate will never end and people will always find bs things to nitpick.

LOL most delusional, idealistic statement ever. Clearly people would say Khabib sucks, was never good, and that GSP was ducking 170 if that fight actually took place. The GOAT debate will never end and people will always find bs things to nitpick.
Well, they’ll look like idiots. There would be no denying GSP is the GOAT imo..

Khabib needs to beat GSP at 170 and 185 for it to even be close to the same acomplishment that GSP has.

That's kinda retarded. He's already accomplished something GSP hasn't: Staying undefeated. I could kinda understand it if you said to go up to WW and win that belt, but to have to beat him twice and once in a weightclass two classes above his is dumb.

Except he just recently turned 38.
Right but when would this fight happen? If the fight happened in 2 years, GSP would be 40 at the time.

I see this happening in late 2020 at the earliest, if Khabib plans on fighting Poirier and then Ferguson. So I'm sorry, GSP would be 39.5 at that point. That 6 months makes all the difference in the world.

<PlusJuan>

wtft is this GSP is 40 stuff I've been seeing on here lately?

GSP just turned 38, and if he fights Khabib before next May he'll still be 38.
That's only a year older than Woodley. Next year would beating a 38 year old Woodley mean anything?
There's no way Khabib fights GSP after Poirier. Unless Tony loses, he will need to fight Tony next.

So you're talking Fall of 2020 as the earliest time they could fight. GSP will be 39.5 at that point in time. That's pretty close to 40. You're splitting hairs.

Well, they’ll look like idiots. There would be no denying GSP is the GOAT imo..
GSP and Jones are the only real candidates for GOAT as it is. Anyone suggesting anything else is delusional (btw GOAT discussions are as pointless as P4P rankings and should not be taken seriously)

Imagine this was conor everybody would be saying he was the GOAT if won.

I think if GSP beat a top ranked Lightweight first before losing (Khabib, Poirier, or Ferguson), then it would mean a great deal. If he didn't, then of course people would complain that the weight cut combined with his age was too hard on him, no matter how well he performed before he lost.

There's no way Khabib fights GSP after Poirier. Unless Tony loses, he will need to fight Tony next.

So you're talking Fall of 2020 as the earliest time they could fight. GSP will be 39.5 at that point in time. That's pretty close to 40. You're splitting hairs.

Tony loses? You mean Khabib?

What you say makes sense but that doesn't mean it's true. There's A LOT of money in Khabib v GSP - much more than vs. Tony - plus both of them obviously really want it to happen. I argued with a lot of people on here that Conor v Floyd would happen for the same reasons. So it would be shocking but not surprising if the ufc somehow booked this fight between Dec/Jan & July next year, which makes him 38/39.

As you say, this fight will most likely not happen.

GSP is 38, and the division is a bit clogged right now. He would be 39, nearing 40 before this fight could realistically materialize. At that point, I'm not sure he would even want it even if offered for him. GSP is extremely careful about his career choices.

Of course it means something. Exactly how much it means is debatable

Khabib should fight his childhood hero Jon Jones instead.

Khabib just looking for a legend to go out on, and ideally a large payday. Wouldn't really add anything to his legacy.

GSP is Khabib's childhood hero. Beating GSP would equate to a "passing of the torch" moment for Khabib. For him it is important and the haters are going to spout bullshit anyway, so why not do it?

“Changing of the guard”

Maybe not in the minds of some fans now. But when people look back or read the history book I think it would.

Khabib is good but if we are honest with ourselves, he's no GSP. He's successful because he has great cardio and is bigger than everyone else. His style works because of his size.

Take away his size and he loses a lot imo. His style wouldn't work at 170 very well. Colby and Usman are both better versions of Khabib

I have no problem admitting that Khabib is the better grappler than GSP but the striking ultimately made GSP the better fighter overall. Although GSP didn't get into many battles to show his striking he had one of the best lead hands in MMA, always did excellent work with it.

Back