Does Barao deserves an immediate rematch?

It should be noted that a guy going into a title fight benefits from winning a couple before. Barao got battered. He needs a couple fights to get his confidence back.

Plus people often don't consider that having a few fights in between title shots gives some serious time for improvement.

Nope. Dominated then finsihed. Let him fight someone else first.

Unless there are no other contenders for TJ, Im not a believer in instant rematches unless there are certain circumstances like a terrible decisions or bad stoppage.

No, TJ dominated him. Let Barao win a couple them rematch.

No way. Same result. You dont get a rematch after losing all 5 rounds and getting finished. I don't care who you are.

No, he had nothing for Dillashaw and was dominated so he should get a couple of fights before challenging again.

If it had been a very close fight I could have accepted it. Possibly also if TJ had knocked him out with the first knockdown punch as then we wouldn't have known that Barao had nothing for him that night (it would probably have been seen as a lucky punch).

No. Barao got his ass handed to him and needs to earn a rematch. Immediate rematches should only be after controversial fights.

Even though he didn't really demonstrate that he had anything for TJ, at any point in the fight?

He did. He demonstrated that he could take an insane shot at the beginning of the fight, survive the attempt to finish, and then hang on for almost 4 more rounds. My suspicion is that Barao will come back much more careful in the rematch and make it a fight, maybe even win & make it a trilogy.

If it was a split decision I'd say yes. But he was dominated & finished. Anderson wasn't dominated and was finished largely because of his antics, not because Weidman was superior. GSP would've gotten a rematch against Hendricks if the judges hadn't. If Rampage had defended the belt as many times as Jones he would've gotten a rematch against Forrest.

Normally I'd say no but a 33-fight unbeaten streak in MMA is just crazy.

I'd be fine with an immediate rematch.

^^ feel the same.

I don't think the fight itself demands a rematch because it was both long and quite definitive by every definition imaginable in MMA, but Barao was a good company guy with an amazing win streak.

That makes it the most interesting fight to me right now.

Yes considering he dominated everyone else in the division if not u have to put him up against the next top guy . But he def deserves it

This wasn't a super close split decision to the wrong guy.

This wasn't a one punch knock out early in the fight or a 'lucky' punch.

This fight was Dillashaw handing Barao his ass for the better part of 5 rounds. No question who won or who was the better fighter that night.

So no, an immediate rematch is not called for. Barao should just go and get 1 - 2 solid wins to earn a rematch.

By the standards of the UFC, sure. Personally, I think his loss was too decisive to get him an immediate rematch.

This was damn near the Bones manslaughter attempt on Shogun or the Cain attempted homicides of JDS. Win twice then it might be sell able but that was a thrashing from bell to finish.

He did. He demonstrated that he could take an insane shot at the beginning of the fight, survive the attempt to finish, and then hang on for almost 4 more rounds. My suspicion is that Barao will come back much more careful in the rematch and make it a fight, maybe even win & make it a trilogy.

I can't wait to see what the ufc hype team pulls out for that one.

"Renan Barao showed some serious heart, from the first round when he got laid out, all the way to the fifth round when TJ forcibly removed him from the fight. Cut to dana at the post fight conference: 'a judge gave Renan the second round', cut away."

But like you said, if an 8-1 favorite can "hang on" for a prolonged beating, i'm sure that's makes for a fun rematch.

no, he was thoroughly beaten. no need for an immediate rematch

No, for the following reasons:

His tenure as champion wasn't the same of Anderson's.

Fight wasn't exactly close by the time the stoppage happened.

No. If it was a super quick KO, maybe. But he got wrecked for 25 minutes straight.

Back