Does Ariel Helwani even train UFC bro?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by CELS, Sep 22, 2013.

1. CELS

CELS Brown Belt

I always assumed Ariel Helwani trained, at least grappled. But does anyone know anything about his martial arts credentials? Is he a blue belt in the Gracie online training program, or a tiger belt in Ameridote? Does anyone know?

Rener Gracie seemed to just assume Ariel never trained a day in his life, which struck me as odd.

EDIT: To the trolls out there, I'm not accusing Ariel of doing a bad job, so you don't need to defend his honour on Sherdog and say that he's a good journalist despite any lack of training. I get it. I just want to know what his credentials are, in the same way I want to know if a political commentator working for a newspaper has a relevant education. Doesn't mean that I think only people with a Ph.D. in political science should be talking about politics)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  2. dickcheney

dickcheney Gold Belt

i assumed he doesnt train. i think he played basketball or some other traditional sport

3. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

i have no idea but i wouldnt assume he trains just kuz he likes to ask rampage questions.

4. Lethal_Striker

Lethal_Striker Silver Belt

He seems to be in fairly decent shape so he might go to the gym to work out but that doesn't mean he trains BJJ or any martial arts. He could just be going to the gym and doing cardio type workouts or stuff like that.

5. Dethrone1989

Dethrone1989 Brown Belt

He's trained standup before, but hasn't in over a year, if I recall correctly from what he said on the mma hour

6. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

LOL. ariel said it hurts on the nose. HAHAHAHA i've never felt my nose hurt from a choke wtf. his nose is hugeeeee.

and based on the things he was saying, i dont think he's trained bjj. perhaps some other aspect, but from the sounds of it he's not accustomed to being put in a choke.

7. eXtv

eXtv Red Belt

Luke Thomas, his colleague at MMAfighting said he doesn't train.

8. YoungScholar

YoungScholar Brown Belt

Sorry for the generalization, but only in the US is being skinny considered "decent shape".

I'm fairly sure he addressed this in one of the last two MMA hours. The answer was something along the lines of him wanting to do some BJJ/MMA training - but between MMA reporting and his family life he can't muster up the time/energy to do it.

Doesn't answer if he has trained in the past tho'.

9. dickcheney

dickcheney Gold Belt

but does he even lift?

10. hendobomb

hendobomb Orange Belt

i dont think he knows anything about sports in general honestly.

i remember him asking dana if chris weidman was now the #1p4p because he beat anderson. the whole room kinda chuckled at how serious he was. later a guy said how in college football if the 2oth ranked team beats the number 1 team they arent now number 1. rankings are subjective and also thats just not how the game works ya know.

just leads me to believe that hes maybe a prowrestling fan who became a fan of mma at some time when it was just crossing over. maybe around the tuf era griffin bonnar fight. who knows... ive been plenty wrong before :D

11. Jermei

Jermei Steel Belt Platinum Member

Don't know. Don't care. Whatever Ariel is doing he should keep it up. Best in the biz.

Nean Magnon likes this.
  12. CELS

CELS Brown Belt

If he's never trained MMA, he certainly has an astonishing appreciation of the sport. A lot of times, he shows a level of insight that you wouldn't expect from someone who never trained. Like in the interview with Demian Maia after his victory over Jon Fitch, I forget what Ariel brought up, but Demian was surprised that he made such a good observation

13. Straight G

Straight G Blue Belt

He trains Jew-Jitsu & Nosambo

JSN likes this.
  14. Presinator

Presinator If Arnold were President, he would be...

He said on a recent MMA Hour that he's done a little boxing and Bjj, but doesn't currently train.

15. maarten84

maarten84 White Belt

where can you train ufc?

16. dickcheney

dickcheney Gold Belt

17. CELS

CELS Brown Belt

[​IMG]

18. tenniswhiz

tenniswhiz Steel Belt

In an interview with Faber, Helwani once said that he wouldn't ever take off his shirt in public because he didn't want people to see his muffin top. Could be a joke, maybe not, but he doesn't seem like he's in great shape to me.

He was a sports journalism major in college. The job market seemed saturated, so besides small town jobs, he decided to go for broke with MMA reporting. He worked out of a basement somewhere and gave it everything he had. And he made it.
    It's inspiring and all, but I actually don't think he's a very good reporter at all. I think most of his success was due to being a troll and falling into Dana's favor.

19. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Blue Belt

He mentioned on the MMA hour that he grew up doing jazz tap.

20. Straight G

Straight G Blue Belt

One of the oldest lines in the book went over this guys head. Do you even train UFC, Bro?