Does Appearance Change How People Are Treated?

Of course there is and always will be that way.

Yes it does, without doubt.

And it is disgusting and awful, but it applies to EVERY single one of us.

It's more noticeable on some levels obviously, but anybody who thinks people aren't treated differently because of appearance are either lying or incredibly naive.

And of course appearance changes the way people treat you. It's not debatable.

We are constantly judging people base on the information we receive. If I see a stranger, the only information I can process is the person's appearance. If a women dresses like a whore with tramp stamp, I will assume she has a loose moral until I get other information that prove otherwise.

That video is sad and it was a great social experiment. I think videos like these can help instill a little bit of empathy in people.

We are constantly judging people base on the information we receive. If I see a stranger, the only information I can process is the person's appearance. If a women dresses like a whore with tramp stamp, I will assume she has a loose moral until I get other information that prove otherwise.

Yeah but that doesn't mean you should help people based on their appearance.

A friend of mine conducted an experiment just for his own entertainment where he used two different pictures of himself on an internet dating site. One pretty old pic where he was out of shape, not absolutely grotesque, but where he had a bit of a belly on him, he looked like a contestant on that old reality show Average Joe. One newer pic where he was in shape. But, it was obvious that it was the exact same guy.

Now, with the first profile, he would message girls, actually read their profiles, and try to engage them in conversation on their interests, and try to start actual conversations with them, and he got NOTHING in return.

The second profile, he would just say "hey" to the exact same girls that he did with the first profile, and the vast majority replied to him. The ironic thing being, a fair few of them actually had on their profiles "Don't just say "Hey" and nothing else, try to actually get my attention and show you can hold a conversation".

It seemed like a huge waste of time, but when he told me about it, it was quite interesting hearing about it.

I remember Gwyneth Paltrow talking about the different way men and women treated her while filming Shallow Hal. She said she would wear the fat suit in public and nobody would even acknowledge her. No eye contact, no small talk, no flirting, etc.

'social experiments' are just paltry imitations of real work done by published psychologists. If you want structured verifiable evidence it's available without it just being entertainment.

We are more likely to help those who look like us (kin selection hypothesis) and more likely to help those who help us get closer to pussy, ie fit women or those higher in the social hierarchy.

How this can be news to people is absolutely fucking mind blowing.

I usually travel first class by train when I have to go to a meeting or such, and since I'm tattooed on my hand and head and wear streetwear (this is the branch I work in), often train conductors come tell me "Hey, this is first class" and assume I'm poor.

Yes it does, without doubt.

And it is disgusting and awful, but it applies to EVERY single one of us.

It's more noticeable on some levels obviously, but anybody who thinks people aren't treated differently because of appearance are either lying or incredibly naive.

And let me guess... they all some some kind of underlying psychological issues am I right? ;)

And let me guess... they all some some kind of underlying psychological issues am I right? ;)

Wow, that's two posts i've seen from you today and both are attacks on people :rolleyes:

Cheer up.

Wow, that's two posts i've seen from you today and both are attacks on people :rolleyes:

Cheer up.

As opposed to your little dig at me the other day relishing in something that you know I feel very passionately about.

Don't give it out if you aren't willing to receive a little banter in return matey.

'social experiments' are just paltry imitations of real work done by published psychologists. If you want structured verifiable evidence it's available without it just being entertainment.

I don't think anyone is disputing that.

By the same token, I don't think anyone disputes that appearance affects how you're treated.

The question is, why does it appear (as noted in the video) that people are more willing to help the guy who appears to have everything than the guy who appears to have nothing?

In highschool and university I'd have sex solely on the basis of my hieght and skin color. In the work force I'd get jobs that other people were probably better qualified, but had lesser presence.

I avoid bars or clubs these days, just pubs. In a rooms full of drunk dudes, being tall can trigger the Napolean complex in certain people. If you react it's bad PR. If you don't it sets a bad precedent and comprises my strongly held principle of retributive justice. (I had cousin of mine who actually went to prison in a similar scenario.)

There are certain types of white people I've met that wanted my friendship not because any redeeming qualities I had, but because they had an idea about having a black friend was cool and allow them into cultural vista they felt they couldnt go by themselves.

Then of course there is the opposite end of that scale that happens.

In Toronto I'm a dime a dozen. In Van I get looked on as exotic in some cases Old ladys will come up and ask to feel your dreads, with the assumption that I'm some happy go-lucky rasta that jumped out the movie "cool-running's" (I fucking hate that movie an resent having clarify that I'm not Jamaican).

I see men that are obviously jacked, and are physically intimating in their own right cross the street with furtive looks when im walking home at night.

I think being shallow has a biological base, and is influence cultural components.
It has worked for me enough to not mind when it works against me. But It's also made me a bit cynical about people, so I tend to value my frienships a lot more.

Last edited:
They didn't need that huge of contrast to point that out.

Take a soft chubby dude and put him very nice clothes that wear on him well and then take the same dude and put him in sweat pants and a wife beater and sandals. Day and night treatment.

In highschool and university I'd have sex solely on the basis of my hieght and skin color. In the work force I'd get jobs that other people were probably better qualified, but had lesser presence.

I avoid bars or clubs these days, just pubs. In a rooms full of drunk dudes, being tall can trigger the Napolean complex in certain people. If you react it's bad PR. If you don't it sets a bad precedent and comprises my strongly held principle of retributive justice. (I had cousin of mine who actually went to prison in a similar scenario.)

Go on.

Back