does anyone train here?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Reveen, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Reveen

Reveen Purple Belt

2. davejitsu

davejitsu Purple Belt

Ive never trained there but their guys always do well at tourneys, so it must be good training

3. MonkeyNuts!

MonkeyNuts! Rear Naked Poker

From what I understand about Master Mansor's schools, they are extremely traditional, which is good and bad. They tend not to evolve their BJJ as much as other schools, and don't promote very often (once or twice a year?) so that leads to a degree of sandbagging.

You're better off asking/PMing Mikey Triangles, he trained there for a number of years before Red Boy.

Which, if you are asking because you will be moving to Long Island soon, I'd highly recommend Red Boy BJJ (www.redboybjj.com).

4. Reveen

Reveen Purple Belt

I thinking about spending about 3 months training in NY. This place plus Renzos and http://www.wrestlingny.com/ have caught my eye. I want to train pretty much full time during that 3 months. Had'nt heard of this Redboy place so thanks, I'll check out their website as well.

5. MonkeyNuts!

I train at Red Boy. It rocks.

If you really want some more options, there's KTFO in Smithtown, Vamos BJJ over near Ronkonkoma, Serra BJJ over in Huntington.

You're looking at schools from the city all the way to east LI - I guess you can settle down whereever you want in NY for that 3 months? Because some of these places are pretty far from each other...

6. Reveen

Reveen Purple Belt

What is the public transport like? or would i be better off getting a really cheap old car? I'm guessing accomodation would be cheaper in Long Island than in Manhattan.

7. Kimuralex

Kimuralex Brown Belt

wrestling ny is in brooklyn, brooklyn(area around wrestlingny) to renzos would be roughly an hour by train, if you have a car, long island isnt far from brooklyn. So i suggest settling somewhere in brooklyn since its kindof the middle of where you want to train.

8. MonkeyNuts!

In the city, you can pretty much get around anywhere with public transportation. No need for a car at all. I have friends in NYC who went almost 20 years without ever learning how to drive.

In Long Island, you would need a car, because it's mostly suburbia.

9. Mikey Triangles

Mikey Triangles Bending Joints the Wrong Way Since 1985

yeah i trained at kioto, and got my blue belt from master mansor. great teacher, and a great school in a lot of ways, but if you want to stay on the cutting edge of whats working in competition today you're better off going to redboy which is literally one minute around the corner.

redboy is also the cheapest bjj school with the most open schedule that i know of in ny state. i would definitely recomend you check it out. there's info in the llink in my sig.

several of the guys from redboy are also going to be taking trips out to brooklyn wrestling. one of our instructors is a 'master of sport' under the head coach there, and has a lot of us inspired to make the trip. i probably wont be going immediately myself because of an injury, but the second i heal i'll be there at least once a week.

10. Shaldag

Shaldag Orange Belt

I know i wouldn't wanna pass up the opportunity to train under a Helio Gracie redbelt.

11. Reveen

Reveen Purple Belt

How often would Master Mansor take class and which location are you most likely to find him? What are his other instructors like? Does Redboy allow casual training or do you have to sign a contract?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to my homework. You can get a fair idea about school from their website but nothing beats talking to people who train or have trained there.

12. Reveen

Reveen Purple Belt

Well this is exactly what I mean!

By the way, does anyone have an opinion on Matt Serra's school?

13. armtriangle

armtriangle Brown Belt

i train at a school in IN under a mansor trained bb. So helio>mansor>marcelo ferreira>me

it is the "real" bjj. I trained at some of these hybrid places for years, did mma clubs and wrestled. i learned more in 6 months at the mansor bb's school then i did in 6 years training mma and all-style sub-grappling. the school will be traditional, but if you stick with it, you will school all the guys who learned how to get a quick tap. his trained bb's i have rolled with are astounding. but it will likely take a little longer to get good.

as for this specific school, i know nothing. i just know i have rolled with a couple of mansor's bb's and they were ridicuous with positions and the basics.

14. jacc4856

jacc4856 Orange Belt

a lot of these places are really far apart. Where will you be living?

15. LivnLaVidaChoka

LivnLaVidaChoka Orange Belt

I trained at Kioto for a few months. It was a great place to start to really learn and instill fundamentals. It is more traditional and the pace can be slow.

I train under Joe D'Arce who is a BB under Henzo. Great group of guys over here.

16. Mikey Triangles

Mikey Triangles Bending Joints the Wrong Way Since 1985

it's probably not what you expect, they have a very strict curriculem. i honestly never even learned the triangle choke in over a year and a half of training there. i had to learn it on my own.

i love master mansor like family, but repetitive basics can be both boring and frustrating. i'm the kind of person that likes to be on the cutting edge, and if i'm not learning new things constantly i'm not truely happy