Does anyone think PFL will be successful?

Wsof wasn't offering million dollar pay days or aggressively signing ex UFC fighters
Remember when WSOF 1-3 had Andre Arlovski, Rumble Johnson, Miguel Torres, and Jon Fitch? In fact most these UFC/PFL guys are from the WSOF days.

Remember when WSOF 1-3 had Andre Arlovski, Rumble Johnson, Miguel Torres, and Jon Fitch? In fact most these UFC/PFL guys are from the WSOF days.[/QUOTE

Not sure if that's helping your argument or mine lol. They were all cut, all free agents with no home. AA and AJ both left as soon as their contract was up. Wsof didn't aggressively negotiate to keep them, and they were probably the biggest draws they had at the time. They understood as valuable as they were it wasn't going to produce the ROI to justify keeping them. Meanwhile pfl is paying top dollar for Jake shields to be on the prelims and Jason High to headline a Thursday night card smh

Remember when WSOF 1-3 had Andre Arlovski, Rumble Johnson, Miguel Torres, and Jon Fitch? In fact most these UFC/PFL guys are from the WSOF days.

Something got messed up there with my response, I replied right under here it showed up as one long quote of yours

Something got messed up there with my response, I replied right under here it showed up as one long quote of yours

Looks like the end square bracket after [/QUOTE got cut off.

But yeah I don't know what "argument" is winning, but I think WSOF probably signed those guys in the beginning just to get initial attention. I know I wouldn't have ever watched if it weren't for Rumble and Torres, but I ended up staying for Marlon Moraes and Justin Gaethje.

I think PFL might be doing something similar. They didn't pay Jake Shields to fight on the prelims. They paid Jake Shields to headline their 3rd card, which in turn gave credibility to Ray Cooper, who is now a viable headliner for PFL 6. Same with Kevin Tiller. In just two events they've made it so that he can now headline a PFL card, and a decent part of that is because he beat a credible UFC opponent in Jared Rosholt.

In regards to competing with a UFC product? I’ve never caught one live before as I do not tune in on Thursdays, which they’re apparently airing on.

I guess I like the format but there are a bunch of bums littered in the tourney with only a few good names.

Who are you to judge who is a bum or not?

The tourney is filled with well known mid tier guys as well as lesser known but highly touted prospects as we've seen "bums" like Ray Cooper destroyed well established guys like shields.Kelvin tiller subbing roshalt was great too.

PFL isn't trying to compete with other orgs it's just still trying to gain a foothold in the sport.They have acquired more investors giving them some sustainability atleast to payoff this season's winners and put out a second season.They for sure are in the red but they've bought themselves some time to try to figure things out.

If they could get a better tv deal it would be great but only time will tell.

PFL needs to bring in some name value free agents to bring a visible barometer of talent to the fans.They have good fighters but it will only help if more homegrown talent can get some names on their hit list.

Their more exciting fights are on the prelims rather than the main card. Main reason for that is because their biggest names are blankets (Jake Shields, Will Brooks, Andre Harrison, Luiz Firmino, Jared Rosholt, etc.). Even then, the fights where they lose or get their ass kicked are pretty fun. (Shields vs Cooper, Tiller vs Rosholt, both of Halsey's fights). If you only watched Harrison's and Brooks' fights, then I don't blame you for that opinion.

There have been some good fights on pretty much every PFL card so far. Some WSOF cards from 2015-16 were stacked with absolutely boring fights. Especially the ones in the Bantamweight and Welterweight divisions. Well, besides the Marlon Moraes fights, anyways.

This is why I think PFL would be better off tape delaying about two hours and cherry pick the matches they show. Utilize the names to drive in viewers and show those match ups but the rest of the match ups should be the best fights of that event. I don't think to many people would cry over not seeing no namer vs no namer live. It could lead to a pretty exciting 2 hour or so event on TV. At least you be showcasing the best you can from that event.

This is why I think PFL would be better off tape delaying about two hours and cherry pick the matches they show. Utilize the names to drive in viewers and show those match ups but the rest of the match ups should be the best fights of that event. I don't think to many people would cry over not seeing no namer vs no namer live. It could lead to a pretty exciting 2 hour or so event on TV. At least you be showcasing the best you can from that event.
Once again you are the only person on planet earth asking for tape delayed fights or sports of any kind. It's obscene. You can do that on your own if you're so casual that you only want to watch certain fights and catch the parts of the broadcast that you want on Facebook Watch or your DVR after the fact. The rest of the world who cares enough to watch at all wants the whole card live and in the order that it happens.

If I couldn't watch live then they'd probably lose me as a fan.

I actually agree with skylowlow the events have featured some great fights and some absolute snoozers that ruined the vibe of the night.

Most fans aren't watching the prelims on Facebook and are COMPLETELY unaware of the results until informed by the broadcast team once the show starts.

Wouldn't agree with tapedelaying however having a 'best of pfl' special featuring The best fights, like UFC unleashed, that would be a good way to get ppl to commit to watching an hour of it. The end goal for that is still to create new fans to watch live. Live sports are one of the few things in 2018 that ppl want to watch in real time

The number 2-3-4 promotions always pop for a few years and disappear.

The number 2-3-4 promotions always pop for a few years and disappear.
No they don't. Bellator has been active since 2009; WSOF started in 2012 then re-branded in 2017 and became PFL with little downtime and are in full swing in 2018. LFC & RFA put on shows for years separately since around 2011 then merged and became LFA and are putting on more cards than ever in 2018.

Once again you are the only person on planet earth asking for tape delayed fights or sports of any kind. It's obscene. You can do that on your own if you're so casual that you only want to watch certain fights and catch the parts of the broadcast that you want on Facebook Watch or your DVR after the fact. The rest of the world who cares enough to watch at all wants the whole card live and in the order that it happens.

I do that on my own and talking to a lot people on here most do the same damn thing. I think very few people sit there and watch all the facebook fights and then tune in to watch the rest of the show on NBCsports. My guess is that is less than 30K people and I'm probably being generous.

Nobody is hardly watching the Facebook matches, hell hardly anyone is watch PFL to begin with. The market is so saturated no one except very diehard hardcore fans are even tuning in for most PFL events and they aren't even watching the whole event. Hell, its hard to even find a play by play of there events on MMA sites. Most of the events happen and not even MMA fans are aware that the event has occurred.

I get what your saying watching it live. But at this point they don't have the talent to draw hardly anyone in to watch it for 4 hours live. So giving fans an exciting two hours or whatever I think it would grow the fan base more or keep more people watching during the main show on NBCsports knowing there seeing the best fights that event has to offer. Instead of basically tuning in getting bored and coming back to the fights that they know the names of the fighters or just fast forwarding through a majority of the event(which I'm guessing alot of people do on here).

Back