Does anyone think PFL will be successful?

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
In regards to competing with a UFC product? I’ve never caught one live before as I do not tune in on Thursdays, which they’re apparently airing on.

I guess I like the format but there are a bunch of bums littered in the tourney with only a few good names.

Hopefully they're saving a big chunk of their new investment money for the tournament winners

I would be very surprised it the winners got paid the promised amount. There is a reason why those payouts are supposed to happen at the very end of the whole thing. In my opinion, the business model is to never pay them that amount.

In regards to competing with a UFC product? I’ve never caught one live before as I do not tune in on Thursdays, which they’re apparently airing on.

I guess I like the format but there are a bunch of bums littered in the tourney with only a few good names.
I watch all MMA but their hours are not doable for most. A shame because they have some decent talent and fights but I'm working so just check the results.

The odds that the prize money is sitting in trust somewhere, being safeguarded so that it is guaranteed to be paid are ...

roughly zero.

WSOF was decently successful, PFL has potential, but so far they've had boring fights.

Just as successful as the last league based MMA promotion

Any success Bellator and PFL has will push the UFC to improve their product.

I wish Bellator and PFL all the best. Their putting efforts into creating and supporting a valid rankings system and working towards proving who the fighter is, not the best entertainer. The UFC's just on autopilot right now chasing buyrates.

There's room for both, but wrestling's for teenagers.

Maybe down the line, but it isn't good when each champion they get heads over to the UFC.

I would be very surprised it the winners got paid the promised amount. There is a reason why those payouts are supposed to happen at the very end of the whole thing. In my opinion, the business model is to never pay them that amount.

the fighters still get paid for each fight leading up to the tournament-

"There will be seven weeks of “regular season” competition, with each fighter guaranteed two fights. These two fights are compensated with traditional “show” and “win” contracts, with each fighter negotiating their own deal, just like traditional MMA pay structure."

the tournament payouts are as follows:

PFL 2018 playoffs pay structure
  • Playoff champions: $1 million
  • Playoff runners-up: $200,000
  • Playoff semifinal losers: $100,000
  • Playoff quarterfinal losers: $50,000
https://mmajunkie.com/2018/04/profe...roster-reveal-wsof-millionaire-tournament-mma

The only way it works is if nbc promotes the shit out of it. Non mma fans will tune in to see someone try to win a million dollars no matter what it is

I dunno about bums. In my opinion, their overall cards beat the nobodies that constantly plague the Bellator undercards.

With the new investment, they should be able to sign bigger names for next season.

The BEST thing they can do for now is pay the winners 1M and the names will come.

Last edited:
the fighters still get paid for each fight leading up to the tournament-

"There will be seven weeks of “regular season” competition, with each fighter guaranteed two fights. These two fights are compensated with traditional “show” and “win” contracts, with each fighter negotiating their own deal, just like traditional MMA pay structure."

the tournament payouts are as follows:

PFL 2018 playoffs pay structure

• Playoff champions: $1 million
    • Playoff runners-up: $200,000
    • Playoff semifinal losers: $100,000
    • Playoff quarterfinal losers: $50,000
https://mmajunkie.com/2018/04/profe...roster-reveal-wsof-millionaire-tournament-mma
Yeah, you can see how the whole idea is that the payouts are backloaded like a mo-fo, so if the company folds, it can just not pay the biggest paychecks.

WSOF was decently successful, PFL has potential, but so far they've had boring fights.
Their more exciting fights are on the prelims rather than the main card. Main reason for that is because their biggest names are blankets (Jake Shields, Will Brooks, Andre Harrison, Luiz Firmino, Jared Rosholt, etc.). Even then, the fights where they lose or get their ass kicked are pretty fun. (Shields vs Cooper, Tiller vs Rosholt, both of Halsey's fights). If you only watched Harrison's and Brooks' fights, then I don't blame you for that opinion.

There have been some good fights on pretty much every PFL card so far. Some WSOF cards from 2015-16 were stacked with absolutely boring fights. Especially the ones in the Bantamweight and Welterweight divisions. Well, besides the Marlon Moraes fights, anyways.

As long as they keep letting UFC pilfer their top fighters, nope.

Back