Does anyone see Wandy beating Chael?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by MMAProfessional, May 17, 2014.

1. MMAProfessional

MMAProfessional Golden Belt

I like Wanderlei a lot but I don't see him beating Chael at all. He seems way to emotional and if he goes in there trying to take his head off he will get taken down and either subbed or TKO'd. He has the possibility for a KO but I feel safe saying Chael will be able to take him down when ever he wants. Maybe he will fight in sandals who knows.

2. Kirin

Kirin Death Operator Platinum Member

Not probable, but possible. Wanderlei does best when guys stand and bang vs him or when they're overly tentative. Chael will do neither. He's going to go in there looking to take silva down. Once we find out whether wanderlei can defend the td's we'll know how the fight is going to go. If chael takes him down in the first and second, wanderlei will most likely gas. His condition looked like crap vs franklin in their second fight.

3. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

I think Chael should be the favorite, but of course Wanderlei has a decent chance if he can keep it standing.

The wild card is how well non-steroid Chael fights.

4. Fujita

Fujita Brown Belt

Yeah, Wanderlei is 7 years past his prime but he can pull it off, Wand already beat a much better version of Sonnen, Arona.

5. Harlekin

Harlekin Brown Belt

a lot of brazilians ^^ well his chances are better then Dan Henderson's

6. CinemaKingdom

CinemaKingdom Brown Belt

I give Wand a good chance. Chael isn't on TRT anymore and Wanderlei has beat way better ground fighters than Chael before. Wand inactivity and not always the best gameplans is probably his biggest problems in this fight. Chael has been subbed before and Wand has a nice armbar (at least he used to).

7. Estudante

Estudante Brown Belt

that split decision was bs

8. sangreporsangre

sangreporsangre Gold Belt

He holds a decision win over Arona sure, but I doubt anyone could watch that fight and use the word "beat". And Wand is my fave fighter ever.

I do think he can win this fight. Obviously he's gonna get taken down, but I don't see him taking any real damage on the ground. The only question is, will he be able to get up, can he sub Chael, can he make the limited amount of time spent on the feet count. I say he's capable of all 3 but he's coming off a long layoff, and has a lot of wear and tear over the years, so it won't be easy. He still packs a lot of power and we know Chael isn't the most durable, so hopefully he catches him on the feet and finishes him with a brutal tko.

9. Kanster

Kanster Guest

Wand by TKO. I'll AV or Sig bet that shit. Yes, I'm that confident.

10. JKS

JKS 77+&--#rT....

It's a fight that is very predictable in my opinion. We know what Chael will try and and we know what wanderlei will try and do. Chaels fights goes 3 ways vs strikers .....like okami/Stann where he dominates with wrestling and a dec or a sub, bisping where he grinds out a decision with clinching and wrestling or Anderson where he gets caught and tko'd.

Wanderlei will go one of those ways.....and wanderlei has a very good chance to win this one.

11. Steve08

Steve08 American Fedor Belt

I don't think he will but I would love to see him claim another head for his legendary highlight reel.

12. JayElectra

JayElectra Paper Belt Banned

Chael's style requires a lot of physical exertion and if he has declined physically over the last few years. Compound that with the fact that he won't have TRT and Chael could be in a bit of trouble. Having said that, Wanderlei is well past his best, as well, and Chael still has solid wrestling skills. Chael should be favored, but there are some question marks there. Overall, it isn't really a fight I'm all that excited about (if it does happen).

13. Sac423

Sac423 Brown Belt

Sonnen>>>Arona

14. ALAN PARTRIDGE

ALAN PARTRIDGE NO LONGER REGISTERED

15. Steve08

Excuse me? Do you know who Ricardo Arona is?

In the ADCC, he would take down everybody no matter who you were. Babalu, Tito, Kerr, Monson. NO ONE could stop his takedowns.

16. moreorless87

moreorless87 Disarming Posting

Ultimately it was a very close fight and it does show you that Wanderlei wasn't really as vulnerable to being held down as is often suggested.

In a way I think this kind of fight plays more into Wanderlei's strengths today than fighting good strikers, he doesn't have the chin or reaction time he did a decade ago but I don't think his grappling has dropped off as much.

What he still has in his favour is that he's an excellent finisher when he does hurt an opponent. That arguably matches up with Sonnen's weakness when put in bad positions, Chael might control much of the fight but Wanderlei might only need to catch him once or end up ontop for a short period.

I think people take rather too much from Sonnen/Shogun personally, not only has Rua's grappling clearly dropped off a lot but realistically Chael beat him by exploiting a weakness to leaving his neck out. Good for Sonnen that he did but that's not the same as successfully holding Shogun down for 5 rounds or TKOing him on the ground.

17. kashmir

kashmir #1 bullshit belt

You can't sleep on Wand. If he manages to sprawl and brawl for one round without getting pinned down, he will have his scalp.

that said, Sonnen UD

18. RiverCity

RiverCity Green Belt

Wand could definitely land a shot that turns the tide.

19. Steve08

excellent points in all regards man, especially the bold. If Wand wins, I see him catching Chael with something and then just swarming on him until he's done for.

Chael did something that Jones also could have easily if he had watched footage of Shogun's fights more intently, he gives up his neck a lot and I honestly think he was surprised that Chael was even attempting to pull guard to finish a guillotine.

20. The Komodo

The Komodo Blue Belt

Chael has a pretty underrated chin, never been properly KOed.

I expected Chael to 100% take it but because of the TRT ban, that only benefits Wanderlei.