1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Does anyone see 'fake' happiness?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by TalkinNoise, Jun 8, 2014.

1. EGarrett Silver Belt

Yes, it's called my Facebook feed.

2. RSmith47 Brown Belt

Is it fake happiness or someone just capturing a few moments of happiness and showing it to everyone while keeping the dark stuff to themselves?

3. Satsui Ryu Black Belt

The one's who go on and on about how happy they are are probably doing more to try to convince themselves rather than others. People who are just going through their lives and not complaining are probably the happiest.

Whenever someone posts a picture on Facebook with some inspirational caption I assume that person is on anti-depressants.

4. panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

I don't see fake happiness being pushed down anyone's throat.

I see genuinely happy people talking about their happiness. I see unhappy people talking about their search for happiness. And I see really pessimistic people pooping on everyone else's anything else.

I see people being people.

5. panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

There was thread a while back that talked about how people were using Facebook to project this false version of their lives and it was driving us all further apart. No one was posting about the downsides in their lives so people were trapped in this endless cycle of posting great stuff so they wouldn't be the only person posting about the bad.

But I don't think anyone's posting "fake" happiness, so I agree with you overall.

6. TronSpecial Blue Belt

anti depressants = pseudo happiness.

7. Tooth and Nail Forever Brocktober

I see a lot of fake happiness, but I see a lot of real happiness as well.

8. Merlotte's Gold Belt

Be the change you want to see in the world TS. Don't let the lonely feeling take over. Smile, people will reflect your smile. :)

9. Terror Zone Banned Banned

Half the people on my Facebook feed do this and the other half post whiney bullshit trying to get attention and others to feel sorry for them.

10. RSmith47 Brown Belt

Haha excellent point.

Yeah I remember that thread. I'd rather see just the false happy version than the bitching, moaning and complaining that you get from younger people and teens. I mean you can have some interesting conversations about some of the downsides to life but people stick to complaining about stupid first world problems that no one wants to hear about. People post the happy stuff for assurance that they are happy and they post the sad stuff to get attention from people to make themselves look better. Hardly anyone calls anyone out on there these days. Someone can make the most hypocritical post ever and 99% of the responses will just be "You go girl!" or "Don't let those people hold you back!". Doesn't matter how right or wrong the person is.

11. Goat Meal Shhh Belt

When you feel alone, go to Michael Troutman's YouTube page, watch as many videos as you can, and then realize it can get worse. I found this poor fool's page yesterday by accident and it's nothing but him vBlogging to a non-existent audience. He made a video finally worthy of comments and they were ALL negative, calling him names.

Just do it.

Edit: the black Michael Troutman.

12. EGarrett Silver Belt

I'm sure it's a happy moment for them, I was thinking of fake happiness as it giving a distorted image of the general level of happiness in their life.

(not that I think everyone should be miserable)

13. ErraofTheHoof Banned Banned

I am a black hole of negativity.

14. The_Renaissance Sherdog Bunceweight Champion

Each to their own.
    That said, there are definitely a large number of people who get married for all the wrong reasons - because they feel they should; because all their peers are; because their partner wants to; because they don't know what else to do with their lives.

I have a few friends who fall into that bracket. They don't seem any happier than before tying the knot, quite the opposite in a few cases.

15. norcal313 Purple Belt

I've learned that when someone tells you how happy they are in life, there's a very good chance they're not happy.