Does anyone see 'fake' happiness?

I don't think there is any other version of happiness other than fake.

The biggest religion in todays western society is this pseudo-spiritual chase for happiness. Of course its fake, happiness is like that one girl you instantly fell in love with...the more you chase her and trying to impress her the more she gets away, obviously.

I think those people who made their life goal to be happy wont be happy, they will just fake it, because they already have an ego investment in it. It would be embarassing for them to admit that okay, they failed.

I think the only way true happiness can be achieved is through struggle. You have to build up an ideal version of yourself based on your values, and then work towards it as much as you can.

But I think this is a great thing. If happiness could be bought for $20, society would soon collapse.

Facebook or any synonymous social media platform is a place where you get to portray yourself, how you want the world to see you.

I think Facebook would be a whole lot more interesting if everyone BUT you got to create/edit your page.

I feel sites like Facebook and Instagram in particular (not really familiar with pinterest or twitter) are a medium for many (though not all) people to portray the best of themselves. Instead of the outside world looking through "rose colored glasses", these medium's are their own sort of rose colored lens in and of themselves. Even the most mundane things are sensationalized through various filters and angles, so that people can both memorialize their own trivial pursuits and exude images representing the "good life."

To be fair, I don't see it as all negative, but I think it's important to recognize these things for what they are.

I just recently got Instagram, and i definitely get jelly seeing people getting to travel everywhere in the damn world.

All happiness is fake.

At least that's what I tell myself so I won't feel the need to eat a gun.

All happiness is fake.

At least that's what I tell myself so I won't feel the need to eat a gun.

I think guns have bad taste, dont do it. Create a goal for yourself instead, and start working towards it. It will work, I guarantee.

but just go around and ask people at work if they like their job. i'm pretty sure over 95% of people hate their jobs. and you'll see them say some bs about liking their job.

my job is pretty damn good. i make a very good wage for what i do, have a boss i can bullshit and drink with, work with other guys and bullshit all day, and i wear jeans every day. i have not worn a tie in about 6 years.

I have a question you guys. The desire for happiness is presented as this deep, spiritual, meaningful thing. But is it really that much better than the desire for money? I mean in both cases people only care about their well being. Maybe its more peaceful, because you dont feel like its a zero sum game, but thats it.

my job is pretty damn good. i make a very good wage for what i do, have a boss i can bullshit and drink with, work with other guys and bullshit all day, and i wear jeans every day. i have not worn a tie in about 6 years.

that's awesome. although it's definitely out of the norm. what do you do?

that's awesome. although it's definitely out of the norm. what do you do?

senior network engineer. i got in with a company that had like 5 people when i started. we grew a lot since then.
the owners are so fucking ridiculously good at business.

I have a question you guys. The desire for happiness is presented as this deep, spiritual, meaningful thing. But is it really that much better than the desire for money? I mean in both cases people only care about their well being. Maybe its more peaceful, because you dont feel like its a zero sum game, but thats it.
There is a popular opinion that money doesn't bring happiness, therefore it's not worth dedicating your life to. I agree to that to an extent. It's pretty easy to be miserable while making a lot of money. If you give up a lot to achieve your goal and at the end you don't achieve well being, then that's a pretty shitty goal. I think the problem with desire for money is that it often ends up not worth pursuing, it has little to do with the fact that it's a selfish goal.

I've wondered this as well.

However I tend to think that spiritual happiness guarantees happiness for others and humanity as a whole, so it's held in higher regard than money.

Once and if you come to the conclusion that all things are bound together as one, one begins to see that by serving others, you are actually serving oneself. However, one must also see that conversely, by serving oneself, you are also serving others. So there is no true right or wrong way to go about doing things, only varying interpretations of experiential reality.

There is but one service. The Law is One. The offering of self to Creator is the greatest service, the unity, the fountainhead. The entity who seeks the One Creator is with infinite intelligence. From this seeking, from this offering, a great multiplicity of opportunities will evolve depending upon the mind/body/spirit complexes

I feel as if society in the US is pushing this pseudo-happiness down our throats, everything on the radio, all this 'get married' philosophy, etc.... it seems forced and fake.

Am I a miserable bastard (serious question, I could very well be just a pessimistic person who's projecting my view on the world), or does anyone here agree with me? General question, not trying to make a big detailed OP, just your outlook on society and what seems to be 'pushed' now.

Fuck Pinterest.

Maybe its just the expectations you put on yourself that make you miserable

How does one distinguish between "fake" happiness and "real" happiness?

I suppose fake is less ideal in the sense that it's dishonest, but if you're pretending to be happy, who but you is really hurt by it?

As saugeye killa said, fake it till you make it. I'm sure it's to my and everyone else's benefit that they have no idea what a miserable asshole I really am :icon_chee

It's crazy on Facebook. Some people I know post about how great their life is and I think " yea I know exactly how your life is".

LOL, one of the reasons I got off their. I didn't want to think less of people I like.

I dunno. I tend to be a pretty happy person for the most part. As for the internet, people tend to post pics/stories/etc about good/fun/exciting/etc things that happen in their lives. I'm not sure I'd call that "fake happiness"... but it is more of a case of just sharing a very incomplete picture of their lives.

I'm not sure what marriage has to do with anything. There are plenty of happy married folk (myself included)... just like there are plenty of miserable single people. The opposite is also very true.

Back