1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Does anyone see 'fake' happiness?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by TalkinNoise, Jun 8, 2014.

1. Kirin Death Operator Platinum Member

I don't think there is any other version of happiness other than fake.

2. SoulBrotherNo1 Black Belt

The biggest religion in todays western society is this pseudo-spiritual chase for happiness. Of course its fake, happiness is like that one girl you instantly fell in love with...the more you chase her and trying to impress her the more she gets away, obviously.

I think those people who made their life goal to be happy wont be happy, they will just fake it, because they already have an ego investment in it. It would be embarassing for them to admit that okay, they failed.

I think the only way true happiness can be achieved is through struggle. You have to build up an ideal version of yourself based on your values, and then work towards it as much as you can.

But I think this is a great thing. If happiness could be bought for $20, society would soon collapse.

3. nstig8 Green Belt

Facebook or any synonymous social media platform is a place where you get to portray yourself, how you want the world to see you.

I think Facebook would be a whole lot more interesting if everyone BUT you got to create/edit your page.

4. fightingrabbit Banned Banned

I just recently got Instagram, and i definitely get jelly seeing people getting to travel everywhere in the damn world.

5. Terror Zone Banned Banned

All happiness is fake.

At least that's what I tell myself so I won't feel the need to eat a gun.

6. genecop Gold Belt

As fake as unhappiness....

7. SoulBrotherNo1 Black Belt

I think guns have bad taste, dont do it. Create a goal for yourself instead, and start working towards it. It will work, I guarantee.

8. WARRIOR POET Banned Banned

my job is pretty damn good. i make a very good wage for what i do, have a boss i can bullshit and drink with, work with other guys and bullshit all day, and i wear jeans every day. i have not worn a tie in about 6 years.

9. SoulBrotherNo1 Black Belt

I have a question you guys. The desire for happiness is presented as this deep, spiritual, meaningful thing. But is it really that much better than the desire for money? I mean in both cases people only care about their well being. Maybe its more peaceful, because you dont feel like its a zero sum game, but thats it.

10. Submission Machine Orange Belt

that's awesome. although it's definitely out of the norm. what do you do?

11. WARRIOR POET Banned Banned

senior network engineer. i got in with a company that had like 5 people when i started. we grew a lot since then.
    the owners are so fucking ridiculously good at business.

12. Blond Purple Belt

There is a popular opinion that money doesn't bring happiness, therefore it's not worth dedicating your life to. I agree to that to an extent. It's pretty easy to be miserable while making a lot of money. If you give up a lot to achieve your goal and at the end you don't achieve well being, then that's a pretty shitty goal. I think the problem with desire for money is that it often ends up not worth pursuing, it has little to do with the fact that it's a selfish goal.

13. TalkinNoise Green Belt

I've wondered this as well.

However I tend to think that spiritual happiness guarantees happiness for others and humanity as a whole, so it's held in higher regard than money.

14. ExquisitExamplE Banned Banned

Once and if you come to the conclusion that all things are bound together as one, one begins to see that by serving others, you are actually serving oneself. However, one must also see that conversely, by serving oneself, you are also serving others. So there is no true right or wrong way to go about doing things, only varying interpretations of experiential reality.

15. mushishi A is a, a is a, should I save her?

16. zackryder Long Island Iced Z Platinum Member

17. H0nkey K0ng Blue Belt

Maybe its just the expectations you put on yourself that make you miserable

18. Organic Damage Vantablack belt

How does one distinguish between "fake" happiness and "real" happiness?

I suppose fake is less ideal in the sense that it's dishonest, but if you're pretending to be happy, who but you is really hurt by it?

As saugeye killa said, fake it till you make it. I'm sure it's to my and everyone else's benefit that they have no idea what a miserable asshole I really am :icon_chee

19. DizzyYeahYeah Red Belt

LOL, one of the reasons I got off their. I didn't want to think less of people I like.

20. BPA00 Black Belt

I dunno. I tend to be a pretty happy person for the most part. As for the internet, people tend to post pics/stories/etc about good/fun/exciting/etc things that happen in their lives. I'm not sure I'd call that "fake happiness"... but it is more of a case of just sharing a very incomplete picture of their lives.

I'm not sure what marriage has to do with anything. There are plenty of happy married folk (myself included)... just like there are plenty of miserable single people. The opposite is also very true.