Does anyone know why Holm/Pennington is the co-main?

BooBoyMan

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
It makes absolutely no sense to me. Holm is 2-3 in her last 5 and Pennington is 3-2 in her last 5, with her last win being split decision. This isn't even a #1 contender fight.

On the UFC 246 Countdown, they are promoting Ferreira/Pettis like it's the co-main, and barely mentioned Holm/Pennington.

{<huh}

The UFC also did this for UFC Norfolk, where they put Felicia Spencer against Zarah Fairn dos Santos (who is 0-1 in the UFC LOL) as co-main, and there are much better fights on that card.

I'm no WMMA hater, but the UFC seem to be intentionally making their cards look worse for reasons I can't understand.

Last edited:
I don't feel THAT strongly about it, but unless it is Nunes or Val, I just alt-tab when WMMA is on these days.

Taking athletes from such a thin talent pool like WMMA and having them between the real fighters is never going to work out well.

Holm in general gets her rear licked 100% due to the Ronda fight.

I think it's something to do with the amount of influence ESPN has. I think they have more input than we think on the bout order etc.

Holly is always the last fight before title fights. The last time she wasn't was about 5 years ago.

You're still gonna watch so why are you whining?

You're still gonna watch so why are you whining?
I'm not whining dumbass, I'm genuinely curious as to why they put it as co-main. It doesn't really matter to me in what order I watch the fights, as long as the fights are good.

Holly Holm has like 2M social media followers. Relatively speaking, she is a HUGE UFC MMA star.

Even though it's one of the least appealing fights on the card, the UFC has invested in Holly. She's had 10 UFC fights. She headlined 5 UFC events- 3 of which were PPV. She also co-headlined 3 others- 2 of which were PPVs. She's been on a lot of posters.

I think Pettis/CDF is the people's co-main.

Because it's a really weak card. Both guys in the main event lost their last fight, Pettis lost his last fight and has lost 7 of his last 11 and Ferreira isn't even ranked. As sad is this is, Holm/Pennington is the highest ranked fight on the card.

If Cowboy and Holm win, that will make 5/6 of the people in the top 3 fights on this card under .500 over the last several years.

Last edited:
I was perplexed by it too.
The match up feels like two old veterans are throwing down for nothing.

Even though it's one of the least appealing fights on the card, the UFC has invested in Holly. She's had 10 UFC fights. She headlined 5 UFC events- 3 of which were PPV. She also co-headlined 3 others- 2 of which were PPVs. She's been on a lot of posters.

I think Pettis/CDF is the people's co-main.
I can understand that, but that also seems pretty contradictory when they promote Ferreira/Pettis like it's the co-main and gloss over Holm/Pennington.

It makes absolutely no sense to me. Holm is 2-3 in her last 5 and Pennington is 3-2 in her last 5, with her last win being split decision. This isn't even a #1 contender fight.

On the UFC 246 Countdown, they are promoting Ferreira/Pettis like it's the co-main, and barely mentioned Holm/Pennington.

{<huh}

The UFC also did this for UFC Norfolk, where they put Felicia Spencer against Zarah Fairn dos Santos (who is 0-1 in the UFC LOL) as co-main, and there are much better fights on that card.

I'm no WMMA hater, but the UFC seem to be intentionally making their cards look worse for reasons I can't understand.

Both cards are thin af.
Holm and Pennington are top 5 contenders. There isn't any fight close to this rankings wise here.

Norfolk really sucks, the main even would be on fight pass if they hadn't stripped Henry. Spencer was just a ppv comain, which match do you like there instead?

Very recognizable name

casuals don’t know her record they just know who she is and I guess thats what matters here

I'm not whining dumbass, I'm genuinely curious as to why they put it as co-main. It doesn't really matter to me in what order I watch the fights, as long as the fights are good.

Your OP reads like a whiner

Both cards are thin af.
Holm and Pennington are top 5 contenders. There isn't any fight close to this rankings wise here.
That's technically true, but if Ferreira wins against Pettis like I think he will, he would become very relevant in LW which is a MUCH more stacked division than Women's BTW.
I would argue it's more important than Holm/Pennington.

As for UFC Norfolk, while it is a thin card, there are multiple other fights that would be better as co-main. Spencer is 1-1 in the UFC and Zarah is fucking 0-1. That's a joke.

Cutelaba/Ankalaev is an obvious replacement, Spivak/Tybura, Brady/Naurdiev... If you want to argue that Spencer/Zarah is the most important rankings-wise, Megan Anderson vs. Norma Dumont Viana would still be a better choice.

Back