Does Anyone Here Actually TRAIN in MMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Fuller

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
Just what the title suggests, who here actually trains in mma and who has had more than 2/3 fights? Because the conversation around here seems more focused on being a good lifter or being a strong guy that does mma rather than being a mixed martiarl artist who is strong. I am on here a great deal more than any of you would like I know :) yet I have seen less than 5 examples of people saying this lift/routine schedule has benefitted my mma game in X way, or even refrencing the work we do in the rack to the work we do in the cage.

This forum IMO has totally forgotten that all this lifting is supposed to be for ONE purpose: being a better fighter.

To (mis)quote Kenny Powers:

"I am not trying to be the best at exercising, I am trying to be the best at fighting."

edit: the # of fights is only important for gauging what works/dosent work for a particular fight camp. Training for a specific fight is the time you grow the most as a fighter. You can train all year but I will take the guy who has been prepping for a specific fight for 6 months instead.

Last edited:
Not everything on this site is necessarily related to MMA, S&C included. There are also subforums for Multimedia, Politics, weapons, Misc...all of which have nothing to do with MMA. So, in my opinion, and in practice, as long as it's related to strength and/or conditioning it relevant here.

That's why I wonder why Bodybuilding is a forbidden topic. Powerlifting is supposed to give you functional strength for fighting but most people don't compete in mma, I mean how many amateur of pro fighter tags do you see, barely any. So it ends up being a powerlifting forum with some conditioning but bodybuilding for some reason is a no no, even tough it's not a powerlfiting site but people are welcomed to solely talk about that.

Do you post your grappling questions in the standup forum?

I have never seen anyone recommend to a fighter he needs to get a 1500lb total or do a triathlon to be a good fighter. There is good info in the strength and conditioning FAQS. People also take into consideration one's goals around here. The advice given to a random sherdoger that stumbles upon the S&C and just wants to improve themselves, which I think makes up the lion's share of posters, is not the same given to people who are training in mma or other disciplines with specific goals beyond strength.

You can come here and learn about strength and conditioning, but how you apply that to your training is up to you. The same for what you would learn in the grappling or standup forums.

Edit: I have also seen many posts were people said just work on technique/train your discipline if that is all your time allows.

Last edited:
You can come here and learn about strength and conditioning, but how you apply that to your training is up to you. The same for what you would learn in the grappling or standup forums.

this

If you want to be strong, ask Rippetoe/Wendler/Starr etc. how to do that.

If you want to run farther faster, find a marathon runner.

If you want to be a better boxer, get Freddie Roach to coach you.

If you want to be a better submission grappler, find a Gracie.

I think you get it by now.

That's why I wonder why Bodybuilding is a forbidden topic. Powerlifting is supposed to give you functional strength for fighting but most people don't compete in mma, I mean how many amateur of pro fighter tags do you see, barely any. So it ends up being a powerlifting forum with some conditioning but bodybuilding for some reason is a no no, even tough it's not a powerlfiting site but people are welcomed to solely talk about that.

Bodybuilding is a forbidden topic because this forum is supposed to be focused on training for performance not looks.

As long as I've been around here this forum has been about getting stronger and there is no MMA-specific way of getting stronger.

Just what the title suggests, who here actually trains in mma and who has had more than 2/3 fights? Because the conversation around here seems more focused on being a good lifter or being a strong guy that does mma rather than being a mixed martiarl artist who is strong. I am on here a great deal more than any of you would like I know :) yet I have seen less than 5 examples of people saying this lift/routine schedule has benefitted my mma game in X way, or even refrencing the work we do in the rack to the work we do in the cage.

This forum IMO has totally forgotten that all this lifting is supposed to be for ONE purpose: being a better fighter.

To (mis)quote Kenny Powers:

"I am not trying to be the best at exercising, I am trying to be the best at fighting."

edit: the # of fights is only important for gauging what works/dosent work for a particular fight camp. Training for a specific fight is the time you grow the most as a fighter. You can train all year but I will take the guy who has been prepping for a specific fight for 6 months instead.

You're fucking out, I'm fucking in!:icon_chee

Very funny show, even for a Brit who knows nothing about Baseball.

You know you guys are right.

Just like how very few of the "grapplers" do mma in their forum etc. I guess very few people here actually apply this to the fight game, and from re reading the FAQ for what seems like the 1,000,000 time I understand that that is not the specific goal for this forum. I just assumed since it was in the training section of a major mma site that people here would have at least a passing interest in how their program affects their abilities on the street or in mma.

I just wish more of you did or maybe I wish more of the actual fighters on this website would come in here because I am sticking by my belief that it would change the culture in here for the better and more practical. Plus they could benefit as much as I have from the advice given (check out my "Thanks SC forum" to have your butt kissed fyi)

I think James brings up a good point and I've been thinking about starting a similar thread. After all, unlike Mayberry and other subforums in the "General Discussion/Off-Topic" section, this is in the "Training Discussion" section of an MMA website. Of course, I can also relate to and see truth in the counterpoints as well.

I think it would be a step in the right direction if there were more discussion regarding "S&C training for MMA" as I imagine that is how the subforum was originally intended to be. I also respectfully disagree that there isn't a way to tailor your S&C specifically for MMA. My personal opinion is that if the goal of your strength training is to support your fighting career/hobby, it should emphasize power movements (C&J, Snatch) and squats over powerlifting. Of course, I'm not a fighter. Just my opinion.

Nah, the forum is good as it is, it was better when it was split (just because of the people that roamed around, not because of the conditioning add per se), too bad moderators had beefs.

Edit: I mean nothing stops people from creating threads with more specific info/adds, so is more of an user thing. I just do bjj for cardio but lifting is my main hobby so wont be adding too much :p

I think James brings up a good point and I've been thinking about starting a similar thread. After all, unlike Mayberry and other subforums in the "General Discussion/Off-Topic" section, this is in the "Training Discussion" section of an MMA website. Of course, I can also relate to and see truth in the counterpoints as well.

I think it would be a step in the right direction if there were more discussion regarding "S&C training for MMA" as I imagine that is how the subforum was originally intended to be. I also respectfully disagree that there isn't a way to tailor your S&C specifically for MMA. My personal opinion is that if the goal of your strength training is to support your fighting career/hobby, it should emphasize power movements (C&J, Snatch) and squats over powerlifting. Of course, I'm not a fighter. Just my opinion.

Is'nt this addressed in the FAQ? Something along the lines of:

How do I get strong for MMA? You get strong. Period. Too many people think that doing one-legged Squats holding Dumbbells while balancing on a Bosu Ball and avoiding a stick swung at them by an elderly Asian gentlemen will make them better fighters.

I just wish more of you did or maybe I wish more of the actual fighters on this website would come in here because I am sticking by my belief that it would change the culture in here for the better and more practical.

I agree with this. It would be good if more fighters posted here.

But you have to realize that an awful lot of Sherdog posters are simply MMA fans, or people who don't have that strong an interest in MMA but like some aspects of Sherdog -- I'm one of this group.

But consider this -- even if S&C were populated strictly by MMA fighters, you'd have a fairly broad range of training philosophies and experiences, and you'd still have to sort through the posts and posters to find information that seemed relevant to you. Same thing if you go to the bookstore and look through all the MMA training books there -- I'm betting that you'd dismiss a few of them out of hand, find some that contain a bit of info that's useful to you, and maybe find one or two that really clicked with you.

James, I hope you feel free to post whatever questions and observations you think are important. You are an asset to this forum. But I'd daresay that most of us are, in some way, to some readers.

I'm going to in a few years. Right now I'm in school. I've done 2 grappling tournaments if that counts, and in those have grappled about 6 guys.

This does bring up a "chicken and the egg" type question. Are there few discussions about MMA-specific training because of the lack of fighters posting? Or do the fighters not post because there are no questions about MMA-specific training?

To be fair to TS, I rarely see ab workouts being advertised as great strength enhancers around here. But grappling does benefit from strong abs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back