Does anyone have information on Derrick Lewis magnesium shot treatment

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by zxyss25, Sep 6, 2018.

1. zxyss25

zxyss25 Brown Belt

Anyone know what kind he was taking - magnesium normally has to bind to something else, so you have magnesium oxide, magnesium taurate, magnesium citrate, etc

How many MGs were the shots
    Normally magnesium is taken orally or through an IV - Ive never heard of shots before D Lew

Magnesium is a great muscle relaxer and great for stress as well - about 90% of Americans are deficient in magnesium

However, taking an electrolyte at a high dose can have drastic side effects.

High levels of magnesium can cause irregular heart beats - very harmful in athletes who already put stress on their hearts

It can also flush out calcium levels, making our bones very weak and muscles very sore.

scottjoebob likes this.
  2. lockjaw211

lockjaw211 Black Belt

Hold on. I’m in my 15th year at doctor school right now. As soon as I grab this doctors degree real quick I’ll give you my professional opinion.

mulderspooky and zxyss25 like this.
  3. zxyss25

zxyss25 Brown Belt

A simple no response would have been fine

Unless your the type of kid who in school would raise his hand just to let the teacher know
    A simple no response would have been better than your lame troll attempt

Unless you were the type of lad in school who would raise his hand and get the teachers attention, just to let everyone else know that you dont have the correct answer... ;)

4. accolyte1022

accolyte1022 Roll to the Goal

I think he's hinting this is not a proper forum to get any real info.

lenbiasgoat and Frank McEdgar like this.
  5. juanM3

juanM3 Purple Belt

I'm not sure they were that helpful. At first he said they were, but then apparently he still had all the same back problems. After the last fight, he got some kind of new treatment (some kind of corticosteroid probably).

Hopefully he gets it resolved. Seems like he should be taking more time off and losing some weight, but he just jumps back into another fight.

reddhelium likes this.
  6. reddhelium

reddhelium Black Belt

as of august 13, he said:

“I was taking magnesium, and magnesium was working for a while, but this last fight right here, it didn’t work at all."

apparently he tried a new treatment:

He revealed Monday on The MMA Hour that he underwent a new treatment on his back “two or three weeks ago” that has his body feeling up to the challenge of taking on another fight camp.

“Right now it’s going pretty good,” Lewis told host Luke Thomas on The MMA Hour. “The shots that I took, they said it should last like 10 to 12 months.

“It wasn’t stem cells or nothing like that. It was something — they shot me like 20 times in one spot, it was some type of steroids.”

Lewis noted that the procedure was approved by USADA. He explained that his back injuries are “muscular” in nature, and have nothing to do with issues regarding the discs in his back. In addition to the steroid shots, Lewis said he is currently doing “a lot of stretching and rehab” and has been told that trimming his weight down to the 250-pound range, rather than 285-pound range he’s walking around at now, would benefit him in the long run.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/8/...29-fight-against-alexander-volkov-back-issues

7. ROIDZ

ROIDZ Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

This is sherdog bro. You're too good for this place. Oh and fuck your mum.

8. nanika

nanika Brown Belt

Epsom salt balts def have a relaxing effect. Epsom salts are a magnesium salts. There are also many oral magnesium salts as you said that help from muscle spasms to constipation.

Many IV rehydration fluids wil also contain magnesium.

IM magnesium injections does sound odd though

9. Ideanudge

Ideanudge Purple Belt

So he is purely taking the steroids for his muscles to strenghten them, that it isn't an issue of weak bones but rather from his poor posture from being overweight and not training his back enough.

Sanctioned steroids lol

10. swarrrm

swarrrm ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

That was a lot of text when you could have just googled it. He stopped taking magnesium and had a series of usada approved steroid injections that he claims worked.