Does anyone get art?

Some art is pretty. Some art is visceral. Some art requires a history lesson before you can appreciate it. Some art is a successful con.

There's a lot of paintings and sculptures and whatever out there in the world. You're not required to like or understand all of them. Pick and choose what speaks to you.

Or what will turn a profit.

Or will get you laid.

Remember...hot girls always show promise in every art piece they do.

But the same can be said for classical music of the same time period, when was the last time new classical music was popular outside of a select group of people. Folks want to see and hear something new to go along with their favorites.

You could argue its a little different in that sense as music along classical lines has remained popular in film soundtracks, John Williams is arguably the most recognised musician of the late 20th century in terms of outlout.

Again though I think that really tells you whats happened, traditional art forms have lost there larger scale appeal to newer ones such as cinema or photography, II'd agree there have been very few realistic paintings that have gained much widespread cultural weight post WW2(Hoppers Nighthawks is latter than American Gothic) but there are obviously a hell of a lot of photographs that have.

I don't really know much about art, but I admit I enjoy looking at some Dali's paintings. Dude had to have a really tisted mind to come up with some things he put in painting.

For the Mona Lisa, I have to admit it never impressed me much either, but might be a mix of who painted it, how good it was for the era back then, how he did the colours or how he painted it.

I for sure could spend my whole life trying, I wouldn't even come close

Also,

33urfpx.jpg
Enjoy getting banned. You make me sick

a lot of the stuff like the piece in that meme is essentially trolling some 60 or so years ago so I would say they were ahead of their time or they are referencing early 'trolling' pieces. There is a deeper sort of message too such as the canvas being blank implies that abstract/modern art is basically a rorchoarch test. The piece is meta in that the artist themselves is making fun of the veiwers deeper meaning derived from art and expectations of what art should be. It is also a commentary on the art world where art is sort of a racket where the value of art is really often the pretense of art as art and is therefore valuable. But where art like the piece in that meme is ahead of it's time and beyond the scope of present day trolling is it is aware of itself in that it is intended to upset you in a "this is art!?" response where art is a substitute for anything we have that same sort of interaction with, where we accept what ever the status quo is as reality. Implying it is really a blank canvas and that we have agency to decide what reality is and therefore we can change it.

EDIT: it keeps going from there too in a series of realizations and oppositional realizations in response to a realization. A lot of quality modern art or just quality clowning or trolling in general will display a level of comprehension of various levels of realizations in this process and explore them in various ways.

So in a way you can say that the blank pieces are a sort of IQ test where gauging the ability of people to go down that rabit hole is the artists way of revealing who is a troglodyte and who isn't. Then of course are the people who have that process taught to them so they are kind of memetic automotons.

Last edited:
a lot of the stuff like the piece in that meme is essentially trolling some 60 or so years ago so I would say they were ahead of their time or they are referencing early 'trolling' pieces. There is a deeper sort of message too such as the canvas being blank implies that abstract/modern art is basically a rorchoarch test. The piece is meta in that the artist themselves is making fun of the veiwers deeper meaning derived from art and expectations of what art should be. It is also a commentary on the art world where art is sort of a racket where the value of art is really often the pretense of art as art and is therefore valuable. But where art like the piece in that meme is ahead of it's time and beyond the scope of present day trolling is it is aware of itself in that it is intended to upset you in a "this is art!?" response where art is a substitute for anything we have that same sort of interaction with, where we accept what ever the status quo is as reality. Implying it is really a blank canvas and that we have agency to decide what reality is and therefore we can change it.

EDIT: it keeps going from there too in a series of realizations and oppositional realizations in response to a realization. A lot of quality modern art or just quality clowning or trolling in general will display a level of comprehension of various levels of realizations in this process and explore them in various ways.

So in a way you can say that the blank pieces are a sort of IQ test where gauging the ability of people to go down that rabit hole is the artists way of revealing who is a troglodyte and who isn't. Then of course are the people who have that process taught to them so they are kind of memetic automotons.
Art takes work and imagination.

That took 10 seconds to make and will take 10 years of explanation to defend.

It will never stand the test of time like real art has.

Fixed.

That trope has got to be over 30 years old at this point.

Yeah, modern art is like improvisational jazz. Do I get it? No. But I also don’t think it’s because I’m so much smarter than everyone else is, or that they’re “getting it” is only to be pretentious (though I have met some “jazz musicians” who I could fucking school on music that thought they were geniuses).

Art takes work and imagination.

That took 10 seconds to make and will take 10 years of explanation to defend.

It will never stand the test of time like real art has.
The vein in which those pieces descend from have stood the test of time. Those pieces are pre internet memes.

Modern art IS trolling.

They literally reinvented trolling and it is trolling at the level of genius when it is done well.

Modern art is essentially clowning where one creates clown props that represent a bit AND often a critique of the status quo that is self reflexive and interactive.

The whole point of modern art is that it takes imagination and creativity wheras art that had been confined to representing reality had not significantly improved for a couple hundred years and even still could not do it at the level of a camera. Which meant representational art was artisanal work, yes, but was no longer art in that it did not require imagination or creativity.

i'm not pretentious artsyfartsy guy and I don't claim to be educated or informed on art, but I do get certain feeling about some stuff I see.

I like to look at surreal stuff especially when I m high but also when I'm not. I like surreal movies and books and weirdo sculptures.

I also like dark and foreboding artworks I have some really good quality framed prints of Goya's black period works

- I have Goya's 'Saturn devours his son'

300px-Francisco_de_Goya%2C_Saturno_devorando_a_su_hijo_%281819-1823%29.jpg

and above my bed I have Goya's 'The Great he GOAT'

550px-Francisco_de_Goya_y_Lucientes_-_Witches%27_Sabbath_%28The_Great_He-Goat%29.jpg

I'm not Goth or anything I just like them.

I've also got a large (and v expensive) framed glicee print of Hans Melmings 'fall of the damned into Hell'

560120.jpg

Not religious just think it's badass.

I also like stuff like 'the hands resist him' I don't have a print of it hanging up or anything but it's fairly well known

2-the-hands-resist-him-william-stoneham.jpg

I really don't know shit about art appreciation, I just like stuff based on the way it makes me feel.
I like what you are showing. Those are the kind of paintings I would have on my wall as well. I have one painting that is very old. It is just a church in the woods at night under a full moon. It still draws wonder from me even after 20 years.

The vein in which those pieces descend from have stood the test of time. Those pieces are pre internet memes.

Modern art IS trolling.

They literally reinvented trolling and it is trolling at the level of genius when it is done well.

Modern art is essentially clowning where one creates clown props that represent a bit AND often a critique of the status quo that is self reflexive and interactive.

The whole point of modern art is that it takes imagination and creativity wheras art that had been confined to representing reality had not significantly improved for a couple hundred years and even still could not do it at the level of a camera. Which meant representational art was artisanal work, yes, but was no longer art in that it did not require imagination or creativity.
Who told you that garbage?f504b865f0d7c91b3936149b939bc8672593d3c27868ea149661c288cc6bea8f.jpg

I wish I loved art, history and architecture, I really do. Absolutely loads of it in England.

I get impatient.

Mona Lisa is popular because it was stolen and there was media thing around the robbery.

Here's how I figured it out.

I was shown this image taken in 1917 of the godfather of Modern Art, Marcel Duchamp's, piece titled The Fountain and asked
"Why is this art?"
duchamp-fountaine.jpg
It's not art.
That is a random picture of an object.
No talent hacks make modern art so they have a way to make money without being talented.
The only thing they are good at is manipulating sheeple.

It's not art.
That is a random picture of an object.
No talent hacks make modern art so they have a way to make money without being talented.
The only thing they are good at is manipulating sheeple.
At the time everyone was making representational paintings and such with perhaps some early forays into abstraction and Marcel Duchamp entered that urinal into the art show as his piece then someone took a photo of it. Marcel Duchamp was already an established and talented figurative artist at the time with some of the earliest forays into abstraction which meant he was already way ahead of the curve when he did this.

Here's how I figured it out.

I was shown this image taken in 1917 of the godfather of Modern Art, Marcel Duchamp's, piece titled The Fountain and asked
"Why is this art?"
duchamp-fountaine.jpg

To be fair the intension of this original piece was very different from a lot of whats followed, it was really intended more as a talking point about the nature of art and design rather than Duchamp's claiming it to be any kind of work of genius on his part.

To be fair the intension of this original piece was very different from a lot of whats followed, it was really intended more as a talking point about the nature of art and design rather than Duchamp's claiming it to be any kind of work of genius on his part.
Yeah, I get that.

I'm saying he's a genius which is my opinion.

I had the same sort of reaction most people had when I saw it which is "that isn't art!" then I thought about it for a while and by the time I spoke with people that had studied art formally I understood it on a deeper level than most of them. Duchamp would spend ridiculous amounts of time recreating pieces he already made which comments on the mimetic nature of culture decades before anyone had defined the word meme.

Back