Does anyone feel Gaethje/Ferguson is a FOTY contender?

13Seconds

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
pvgw1i681w751.jpg

Because Ariel Helwani certainly think so. My question is how can a one sided beatdown be considered fight of the year? Is it the upset factor?

I remember the talks of Tj/Barao 1 being considered FOTY as well

pvgw1i681w751.jpg

Because Ariel Helwani certainly think so. My question is how can a one sided beatdown be considered fight of the year? Upset factor?

I’d say yeah, top contenders in the division, going at it toe to toe, a brilliant performance from an underdog against an absolute beast. Two great fighters, should be in the consideration for fight of the year imo.

Ferguson vs Gaethje really shows that the TERM SIGNATURE STRIKES HAS TO GO
It's from a time when the UFC was too cheap for a proper stat system.
143-136, yet one lands shots that sends to other on shaky legs, yet it counts as much as a slappy partially landed and checked lowkick. That hurt the kicker more than the other guy...

ofc TS is right btw

If it was a 3 round fight yeah. It was pacing that way through 2-3 rounds specially after Tony's knockdown at the end of the 2nd, but through like 3 minutes into the 3rd and the rest of the fight Tony was getting stomped

Year only half over and we lost a month to Covid

The fight was too one sided.

No not FOTY, but overall it was a pretty fun fight through the first 3 rounds. Gaethje was still winning early but Tony had his moments in the fight including dropping Gaethje with maybe the biggest punch of the fight in the 2nd. Gaethje really pulled away in the championship rounds and started to hurt Tony pretty bad. That fight was memorable for how violent it was, how great Justin looked and Ferguson showing crazy durability and heart. Not competitive enough to be a FOTY candidate though.

Well now it sounds like we don’t know the meaning of “Fight of the Year”.

Is it supposed to be competitive?
Is it based on expectations and hype?
Is it based on the upset factor?
<Fedor23>

Too one sided to be foty. Justin beat the shit out of Tony

Weili Zhang versus Jedrzejczyk is 100% Fight the Year.
Neither fighter yielded; both fighters were fighting TO WIN until the bitter end.

Poirier versus Hooker was good, but not competitive enough until the bitter end. Dustin took over after round three, and Hooker was looking "to survive" toward the end, whereas Zhang and Jedrzejczyk went toe-to-toe until the final bell.

Gaethje versus Ferguson isn't even in the running. It wasn't even a competitive "fight."
As such, it may qualify for "Upset of the Year" ... or even Rout of the Year).

Zhang vs JJ was still the all around best fight of the year. Could be the first year where a women's fight rightfully takes the award.

I enjoyed watching Gathje vs Ferguson more, but Porier vs Hooker was a better fight.

Zhang vs JJ is still the best fight of the year by far. Nothing else is even really close.

Yeah I don't think it belongs with the other 3. Too one sided like most are saying. I really enjoyed Emmett vs Burgos last week. Only thing holding that back was it was only 3 rounds.

Yeah, gonna have to be a no from me dog. Not even close. Shouldn’t even be considered sorted for fight of the year. The fielder Hooker fight was a better fight than this.

I didn't like the fight the way I liked Gaethje's performance, so no.

For fight to be the best it has to have constant adjustments from both sides as well as meaningful action and lot of damage. Gaethje had every answer for Ferguson.

Tony got his ass whipped, bar a few seconds at the end of the second, he was a human punch bag

I'm still shocked people thought he was lw GOAT with a mediocre record

Back