Does anyone else think that Nick Diaz could beat Woodley?

When Nick starts swarming he makes you fight at his pace.

If you can't fight at his pace, you will eat punches. If you CAN fight at his pace, its only a matter of time until you can't anymore.

anderson-silva-hears-sonnens-loser-leave-town-offer1_original_display_image.png

I'l watch Nick fight anyone. That said, it's been a while and he doesn't really deserve a TS.

I'd rather see him fight someone in the lower half of the top ten, I think it would be a much more fitting match.

Also, Woodley is definitely a hitter, which makes it better.

Nick can definitely win but I think Woodley is a bad matchup for him at this point. Diaz isn't getting any younger and he has never been a guy that moves a lot in his fights. He relies on his chin quite a bit which is dependable but I think his lack of movement combined with the speed advantage Woodley will have could end badly for Nick. On top of that Woodley may be able to use his wrestling to control Nick against the cage or drag him to the ground.

Having said that Nick could definitely stun Tyron with stiff straight down the middle when he's coming in and then swarm him.

I see a lot of people on sherdog saying Woodley wants the easy fight. And is trying to shy away from the harder fight in Thompson.

While I do agree Thompson is a tough fight for Woodley, I honestly think Nick Diaz can run through Woodley easily. The only thing Nick Diaz will have to worry about is Woodley's wrestling but if it goes to the ground, I still like Nick's chances.

The only thing going for Woodley right now is the fact that Diaz hasn't stayed busy at all in the octagon. Maybe ring rust will play a factor, maybe it won't.

I'm still not convinced about Woodley yet, he just seems like a power puncher, his standup is decent but nothing to write home about.

Thoughts?
He already did, Brah!

tumblr_mz0gh4HkTO1ry1rm7o2_r1_500.gif

I got Nick if it's a 5 rounder. Woodley's gonna be exhausted by the 4th

The Diaz bros. both have suspect TD defense. Woodley is an extremely explosive, 2X all American wrestler.

I'm sure he'd have no problem taking Nick down and controlling him a la GSP.

His striking may not be the most technical in the world but, as he showed on Saturday, it might be the most dangerous at WW.

One-punching Robbie Lawler is, indeed, something to write home about.

GSP was able to do that for 25 minutes, i cant see Woodley doing it too.

Do you mean the guy who ducked Gunnar Nelson to save his skin?

If he is in a good mood Nick can beat anybody in his division

If Woodley lands on Diaz like he did on Lawler, Diaz is going out cold.
Daley hits harder than Woodley and couldn't KO Nick. When has Woodley ever been a big KO artists anyways? one fight doesn't prove that. Stop overrating this guy. He looked average against Gastelum and pathetic against Rory.

Woodley gasses in the second and Nick goes to town on him.

Nick can beat him. I think the UFC should give him the fight and give Nate the shot at Eddie and see if they can both get belts simultaneously.

Woodley is one of the easier fights for Nick in the current welterweight picture.

Assuming its a 5 round fight, it is a forgone conclusion that Tyron runs out of gas long before Nick.

Betting on an early KO against Nick is a bad idea, and Tyron doesn't have the tank to out wrestle him for 5 rounds.
Perhaps Nick should win a fight at WW before you consider him having an easy fight. Despite Woodley asking for Diaz, Nick should not be considered in the title picture.
I do agree that Nick has way better cardio then Woodley.

Didn't this fight already happen not that long ago? I'm pretty sure TWood got boxed and slapped up.

hqdefault.jpg

No, everyone needs to chill out on the 'Nick is a top WW' junk. I know the Diaz name is booming because of Nate being a stylistical nightmare for the cash cow, but they are both gate keepers. More so with Nick.

Nope. Nick diaz is an exciting fighter but he does very poorly against almost any top 10 WW at this point in time

At ANY point in time. Nick Diaz has never beat a legit Top 10 WW in his entire career!

Perhaps Nick should win a fight at WW before you consider him having an easy fight. Despite Woodley asking for Diaz, Nick should not be considered in the title picture.
I do agree that Nick has way better cardio then Woodley.

You are making all sorts of assumptions.

I didn't suggest Diaz should get a title shot and it wasn't even addressed in my post.

The theoretical question posed is 'how does Diaz and Woodley matchup' which is what I answered.

The answer is 'well' based on everything we know from both fighters. There are far worse matchups for Nick in the welterweight top 10 picture than Woodley, who is a liability in the conditioning department.

Yes, Nick fights at a high pace and if they were to fight it would be a 5 round fight, Woodley slows after about 2.5 rounds or so. I think Nick would have to finish him but he could do it standing or with a submission and Nick is the more durable fighter with much better cardio and a much faster pace.

Back