Does anyone else think that Nick Diaz could beat Woodley?

OneBoredColeman

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I see a lot of people on sherdog saying Woodley wants the easy fight. And is trying to shy away from the harder fight in Thompson.

While I do agree Thompson is a tough fight for Woodley, I honestly think Nick Diaz can run through Woodley easily. The only thing Nick Diaz will have to worry about is Woodley's wrestling but if it goes to the ground, I still like Nick's chances.

The only thing going for Woodley right now is the fact that Diaz hasn't stayed busy at all in the octagon. Maybe ring rust will play a factor, maybe it won't.

I'm still not convinced about Woodley yet, he just seems like a power puncher, his standup is decent but nothing to write home about.

Thoughts?

The Diaz bros. both have suspect TD defense. Woodley is an extremely explosive, 2X all American wrestler.

I'm sure he'd have no problem taking Nick down and controlling him a la GSP.

His striking may not be the most technical in the world but, as he showed on Saturday, it might be the most dangerous at WW.

One-punching Robbie Lawler is, indeed, something to write home about.

If Woodley lands on Diaz like he did on Lawler, Diaz is going out cold.

I could see it, for sure.

Even off his back, Nick is dangerous. He has a very offensive guard, always looking for subs. If the fight gets past the 1st round, his chances go up exponentially imo.

The Diaz bros. both have suspect TD defense. Woodley is an extremely explosive, 2X all American wrestler.

For how long can he do that, though?

I think he will wilt later in the fight and won't be able to handle Nicks pressure.

Agreed. Historically, Diaz does well against power punchers. Granted, he takes an absolute ASS whooping, but he typically wins. I think if Diaz survived the first 2 rounds, he would likely win by tko or submission. I'm fairly certain Diaz could handle Woodley's power, and i'm also fairly certain Woodley couldn't handle Diaz's out put. With all that said, I doubt Diaz will take the fight and even if he does he'll likely find a way to smoke some dope and get suspended or something.

I think he will wilt later in the fight and won't be able to handle Nicks pressure.

Maybe, but his cardio issues are crazy overblown.

Nope. Nick diaz is an exciting fighter but he does very poorly against almost any top 10 WW at this point in time

Yes. Woodley has shown himself to have suspect cardio in the past and I would pick Nick over anyone with suspect cardio in a 25 minute fight.

They could also promote the fight with these two guys being the only two guys to knock out a monster like Robbie Lawler. Woodley also has some ammo in terms of trash talk with the opinion that Nick had avoided fighting him when Nick was Strikeforce champion.

His striking may not be the most technical in the world but, as he showed on Saturday, it might be the most dangerous at WW.

One-punching Robbie Lawler is, indeed, something to write home about.

Yea, funny thing though, Diaz ALSO one punched lawler. Lol. Long ass time ago, but it did happen. Crazy fight if you haven't seen it. I'd put money on Diaz, assuming he still has that ridiculous chin. He took Semtex's best, I don't see why he couldn't take Woodley's.

I don't think he wants an easy fight. He wants a money fight. It might be an easier fight than Wonderboy, but it is definitely a bigger money fight.

...and yes, I think Nick can beat Woodley. I'm not sure I'd pick him though.

Why would he wilt if he is on top? Nicks pressure isn't that insane. He just plodds forward.

If Woodley is smart enough to not engage Nick, he should be fine

Maybe, but his cardio issues are crazy overblown.

When Nick starts swarming he makes you fight at his pace.

If you can't fight at his pace, you will eat punches. If you CAN fight at his pace, its only a matter of time until you can't anymore.

Its just the name of the game.

If Woodley can't starch Diaz early I think he loses.

I could see it happening, yes.

Nick has an incredible chin and he can exhaust Tyron with volume for a late round finish.

Yea, funny thing though, Diaz ALSO one punched lawler. Lol. Long ass time ago, but it did happen. Crazy fight if you haven't seen it. I'd put money on Diaz, assuming he still has that ridiculous chin. He took Semtex's best, I don't see why he couldn't take Woodley's.

Yeah, but Semtex didn't/couldn't/shouldn't take him down. Woodley could/should.

Not to mention the fact that the obvious threat of the takedown would make his striking more dangerous than it otherwise would be.

Either way, I see no reason for Woodley to even try to out strike Diaz anyway. Not only would he fail, but with his wrestling strengths it would be totally unnecessary.

When Nick starts swarming he makes you fight at his pace.

If you can't fight at his pace, you will eat punches. If you CAN fight at his pace, its only a matter of time until you can't anymore.

Its just the name of the game.

If Woodley can't starch Diaz early I think he loses.
Nick tries to make people fight at his pace. If he succeeds, he usually wins, if he doesn't, he usually loses.

Strong wrestlers have the option of controlling pace by grinding it to a halt. Once that's achieved, the Diaz brothers' strengths disappear.

Swarming isn't very effective from your back.

Back