Does anyone else think Gus could KO JDS?

JDS is 11-Cain in the UFC and has dominated everybody else before Stipe getting 8 stoppages and handing Carwin and Big Country vicious beatings that would have finished most people. But he looked slow against Stipe and took a lot of hard shots. He would have trouble closing the distance on Gus and would eventually gas and eat shots until the bell or possibly get TKoed if he didn't get to Gus early.

Part of me thinks it's crazy I even think that. But I don't think JDS is still the dominant fighter he used to be. Maybe Stipe is still really under-rated but pre-Cain 2 I would have thought Stipe would be an easy fight for him. IDK, maybe his next fight will change my mind but just I can't shake the feeling that the second Cain loss ended "Prime JDS".

JDS is 11-Cain in the UFC and has dominated everybody else before Stipe getting 8 stoppages and handing Carwin and Big Country vicious beatings that would have finished most people. But he looked slow against Stipe and took a lot of hard shots. He would have trouble closing the distance on Gus and would eventually gas and eat shots until the bell or possibly get TKoed if he didn't get to Gus early.

JDS isn't a midget and Gustfaffson isn't very elusive or an outside fighter. he likes the centre which is Juniors type of fight. his headmovement and defense aren't any better than Juniors either.

It's going to be interesting to see if people in here will still be thinking the same after a basic power striker in Rumble gives Alexander Ali all he can handle on the feet.

No I don't believe he would KO/TKO JDS. That fighter has a very strong chin. Maybe and a say that loosely, but just maybe Gus would win. Not by KO/TKO though.
Also Rumble is going to stand and bang with him. That's all rumble does. So lets see what Gus can do with Rumble before considering JDS!

Jds wrecks. Idk where people are getting that he could ko jds LOL. I can understand if you think he could beat jds but koing him? Gus doesn't exactly have much power, he hasn't koed or tkoed anyone significant, he couldn't even do that to shogun. Jds has never been koed or tkoed or even rocked, the closest is him slipping and it looking like he got knocked down. Where are people getting that someone who couldn't ko shogun has enough power to ko someone who can't be koed by hw who hit him for 25 minutes.

You are making it seem like shogun is easy to KO, until very very recently he had one of the very best chins in mma

d6e.gif

JDS isn't a midget and Gustfaffson isn't very elusive or an outside fighter. he likes the centre which is Juniors type of fight. his headmovement and defense aren't any better than Juniors either.

It's going to be interesting to see if people in here will still be thinking the same after a basic power striker in Rumble gives Alexander Ali all he can handle on the feet.
Is there a reason you edited out the second paragraph of my post?

I also said:

"Part of me thinks it's crazy I even think that. But I don't think JDS is still the dominant fighter he used to be. Maybe Stipe is still really under-rated but pre-Cain 2 I would have thought Stipe would be an easy fight for him. IDK, maybe his next fight will change my mind but just I can't shake the feeling that the second Cain loss ended "Prime JDS".

That is why we highlight or underline if we want to address a certain portion. Allowing people to quote out-of-context doesn't give the full picture and is often done with the intention of being misleading. If you are curious if people will still be thinking the same thing then please use my post in its entirety.

Some people will call me crazy, but they have to stop acting like Junior's boxing is amazing. It really isn't.

Gustafsson takes a pretty convincing decision over Junior IMO.

I don't think he'd knock him out, but you never know. Gustafsson is really sneaky with the right hand, whether it be the straight or the uppercut, he gets you from weird angles sometimes.

Junior may have a great chin, but you can only take so many shots. If Gus hurt him, he isn't going to swarm and throw punches into the wind, he's going to pick his shots very intelligently. No matter how great your chin is, if somebody hurts you and keeps landing clean, it can still put you down.

Maybe he could get the TKO if Junior does a poor job defending himself. Gus is one of the most dangerous fighters in the world when he has you hurt because he doesn't overcommit and just go crazy, he picks his shots intelligently, making him more accurate.

That said, I really do think Gus would take the decision for sure over Junior. I think Gustafsson's boxing is better than his. His overall movement is better and I think he dances circles around Junior and picks him apart and hurts him a few times at least.

Junior's boxing isn't nearly as good as some people think it is. It's not bad, but it's not great either. I think Gustafsson's got much better boxing than him. His defense is better, his counters are better, his footwork/overall movement is better, etc.

I think Gus would push a high pace, keep Junior on his heels and push him towards the fence with combinations. Junior seems to get very uncomfortable when his opponent is the aggressor and they force him to move backwards and rely on countering. Junior's counters aren't bad, but they aren't that great. Junior often drops his hands when his back is near the fence as well and I believe that is because he thinks his opponent is going to shoot for a TD.

If Gus can play it right, he can probably make Junior drop his hands and he can tag him with some shots. Gus is able to control the range very well, even when he's pushing forward with punches.

I don't see how Junior 'wrecks' him like so many people are saying. Gus would give Junior hell and Gus takes home a pretty convincing decision IMO.

This isn't to say Junior can't win. As I said - his boxing is good, but not as good as some people think it is. He relies on a lot of the same set ups and he throws almost nothing more than 1-3 punches at a time, which is, in my opinion, one of the big reasons that Stipe was so successful. Stipe knew that Junior wasn't going to throw many big combinations at him and that's why you see Stipe literally just drop his hands when he's standing right in front of Junior sometimes. Not because he was tired, because he knew Junior wasn't going to throw more than 1-3 punches.

The only time we really see Junior throw a longer combination is when he hurts somebody, that's really is. And he ends his combinations off the same almost every single time. He'll end it with the overhand, the uppercut or the left hook.

Gustafsson sets his punches up much better with angles and has a variety of different attacks/set ups to land his best strikes. He has that very, very sneaky right hand that comes in at weird angles sometimes and he's also pretty accurate. Unlike Junior, Gus doesn't throw everything at 100% and that makes him more accurate. Junior throws almost everything at 100% and will punch air a lot because of it.

Gustafsson will throw straight punches but not at 100%, but he's still landing. He's got some accurate hands and the placement is very good. He's able to move his feet and close the distance very well with his jab and then come with that right hand.

Junior rolls with shots pretty well, but he does keep his head on center a lot and he's extremely hittable because of it. I think Gustafsson takes advantage of this because he's very good with distance control and again, doesn't throw at 100%, making him more accurate. He confuses guys with it because it's not always the most powerful strike, but they're still getting tagged from it.

All in all, I really do believe that Gustafsson would take a convincing decision over Junior. Junior has the power to beat anybody but I believe Gustafsson is the better boxing from a technical standpoint, he's got better hands, better overall movement, better defense, etc, etc.

This is not an easy fight for Junior like so many believe and Junior's boxing is not as good as so many believe.

Heavyweight or not, Gustafsson is the better boxer than him and would give him serious fits on the feet and mash his face.

Last edited:
It's possible, but I wouldn't bank on it. Gustafsson could tire him out, beat him up and then get the T/KO stoppage potentially. He's a lot slicker than Junior is with his hands and he's significantly better offensively and better defensively, despite favoring his right hip/side when dipping his head. He actually has good kicks, nice knees and occasionally elbows too while Junior is basically just a boxer with good TDD and a ground game (which we never really see).

To the guy saying JDS has a better jab than Gustafsson, no. Gustafsson's jab is arguably the best in the sport right now. It also packs good power, in fact, he knocked Matyushenko out with it as he caught him rushing in with a punch. He packs above average, solid power in his punches but doesn't like to punch with full power because he favors speed and volume over power, until he has his opponent where he wants them, ie., trapped against the cage (see: his last fight against Manuwa). Gustafsson is also a hell of a lot faster with smooth lateral movement that could certainly trouble Junior (if he can consistently keep turning him) and very good cardio with a long reach to go with his better boxing.

If they fought tomorrow I'd lightly favor Gustafsson to win. He cuts to 205 from around 225-230 or so, or at least he used to. He's put on a little muscle though so it could be higher in that range or slightly over.

I see gus winning later rounds stopage or decision
and gus is big
images

Gus would outstrike him for the duration. Maybe overwhelm him with volume if he hurts him like with Manuwa, but JDS' chin is still rock solid.

I don't know if he can KO him, but I have no doubt that Gus can beat JDS.

No. JDS would beat pretty much any fighter other than Cain.

Looking at his very worst he still beat a very good top 5 fighter in Stipe.

Last edited:
Even if there were two of Gus both of them couldn't knock out JDS. Gus doesn't have heavy hands at all. He is more like Diaz bro...with worse hands though.

Gus nuthuggers always make me LOL.

clearly murican lacking brains and experience/knowledge. peace out bra

Maybe Prime Gus would beat current JDS, but not post-JBJ Gus. Unless Prime Gus fought pre-Cain JDS, then yeah.

Am I doing it right?

Jds nut huggers arent even taking the time to think how this match up plays out. Gus has good cardio and reach and a good chin combined with solid boxing and movement. These things do not bode well for jds. In a five round main JDS would be busted bloody and gassed by the end of three. Gus cardio would still be strong and he could possibly put the Brazilian away. Gus matches up terribly with junior

Gus hasn't finished anyone better than Jimi manuwa.

JDS by KO. Round 1.

Back