Does anyone else think Edgar is a bigger challenge to Conor than Aldo?

You should learn to appreciate opinion. Until you stated your last sentence you didn't make it clear that you were a complete douche.

Leave it to a Diaz fan to be sensitive. Edgar's whole game is point fighting, from his takedowns to his striking and movement. He lacks the power to hurt Conor, rarely spends time in top control, and lacks the chin to eat Conor's left hand.

Chad was, for the bulk of his career, a takedown/top control guy. He's much better than Edgar at takedowns and riding top control with ground and pound. If Chad's wrestling wasn't enough no way Edgar's is. And as far as striking goes, Edgar may be technically better but Conor will fold him up quickly.

Leave it to a Diaz fan to be sensitive. Edgar's whole game is point fighting, from his takedowns to his striking and movement. He lacks the power to hurt Conor, rarely spends time in top control, and lacks the chin to eat Conor's left hand.

Chad was, for the bulk of his career, a takedown/top control guy. He's much better than Edgar at takedowns and riding top control with ground and pound. If Chad's wrestling wasn't enough no way Edgar's is. And as far as striking goes, Edgar may be technically better but Conor will fold him up quickly.

In MMA Edgar is much better because he can switch up from striking to takedown. I'm a fan of Diaz because he fights to finish not because he's the best. He won't force something because he's better at it he looks for the finish. He tries to win the FIGHT not the decision. You seem like a nut hugger not a fan. I would like my favorite fighters to win but I don't negate other fighter's strengths.

Both Frankie and Aldo beat Connor so bigger threat...no, equal threat.

you sound like a fanboy that knows dick about shit.

If I'm wrong I'll accept it because it's my opinion not a fact. If you're wrong you'll disappear and not admit you were wrong.

In MMA Edgar is much better because he can switch up from striking to takedown. I'm a fan of Diaz because he fights to finish not because he's the best. He won't force something because he's better at it he looks for the finish. He tries to win the FIGHT not the decision. You seem like a nut hugger not a fan. I would like my favorite fighters to win but I don't negate other fighter's strengths.

All you did was say, "In mma Edgar is better because he mixes up striking and takedowns." No evidence, no support, no facts.

I can just as easily say, "In mma Chad is better because the threat of his takedown opens up his striking, and he has real power to hurt his opponents."

The difference is, my point is backed up by evidence.
3%2Buppercut.gif

chad-mendes-clay-guida-k.o.-gif-full-video-fight-highlights.gif

tumblr_mf2rak2uPn1qaa8d1o1_500.gif

As stated earlier, Chad was also known as a top control ground and pounder. Edgar's game is takedowns for points. Ironic you support him after your soapbox speech about Diaz.

As far as your nuthugger comment, I'm known as a Conor hater. Go ahead, pm boxingislife and ask.

Kinda what I already feel. I'm a Conor fan (obviously) but am not worried about Aldo but am worried about Edgar. Edgar has more question marks but I think Conor getting taken down was due to his crazy kicks and Chad's cardio. Something that Conor would probably eliminate against Edgar.

I'm sorry but anybody who says they aren't worried about Aldo is just being foolish or isn't very educated in who and what Aldo is. Aldo is not a guy you take lightly in any situation.

All you did was say, "In mma Edgar is better because he mixes up striking and takedowns." No evidence, no support, no facts.

I can just as easily say, "In mma Chad is better because the threat of his takedown opens up his striking, and he has real power to hurt his opponents."

The difference is, my point is backed up by evidence.

As stated earlier, Chad was also known as a top control ground and pounder. Edgar's game is takedowns for points. Ironic you support him after your soapbox speech about Diaz.

As far as your nuthugger comment, I'm known as a Conor hater. Go ahead, pm boxingislife and ask.

If you're arguing that Chad is a better fighter in transitions than Edgar, then you're fighting a losing battle. Yes, Chad has more power, but when it comes to fighting in transitions or the ground game, Edgar is superior and dangerous in his own ways. Both Chad and Edgar are very dangerous in their own ways.

fe.gif

tumblr_mxpzufiOY71ry1rm7o1_400.gif

CreamyGaseousAplomadofalcon.gif

Frankie%2BEdgar%2BNeck%2BCranks%2BCub%2BSwanson%2BUFC%2BFight%2BNight%2B57%2BAustin.gif

vO0wD0.gif

Last edited:
If I'm wrong I'll accept it because it's my opinion not a fact. If you're wrong you'll disappear and not admit you were wrong.

squawk like you know me just like you squawk about fighting.

write a poem about it princess.

Yeah. Edgar isn't the better fighter than Aldo, but he has the better style to beat Conor compared to Aldo.
Bookies and bettors would disagree.

If Conor was to fight Edgar next instead of Aldo, he'd be over a -200 favorite.
Aldo doesn't have "a much better top game" than Frankie. They both have extrememly effective top games, just different. Frankie wears you down by controlling you and thrown insane volume from the top. Aldo, like you said, has terrific bjj.

And Aldo doesn't have Frankie's timing or tenacity on td's. Aldo doesn't seem to want to even try them anymore but if he does his td's aren't as good as Frankie's.

The problems that Frankie presents for Conor might not be more or less than what Aldo does, just different. His constant movement makes him a harder target to hit (especially because he no longer commits to throwing power shots so he's insanely hard to counter). He mixes in takedowns and has great top control. His cardio is among the best in MMA. The problem is that at some point he may need to make Conor respect his power and I don't know if he can.
No - Aldo DOEs has an equal or better top game than Frankie.

His BJJ is easily the best in the division. He crucifixed Faber, a high level grappler, like nothing. Florian is a high level black belt and Aldo mounted him numerous times, slicing thru his guard like butter. Frankie's guard passing is not in the same galaxy as Aldo's.

They both have solid GNP. Aldo opened up a baseball on Hominick with GNP. Edgar has shown improved GNP of late.

As for TDs, Aldo's are extremely effective for MMA. It's no accident he has one of the highest TD success rates in MMA history. Aldo mixes things up great, plus he is very strong, with great timing and technique.

Frankly it's not a given that Frankie has better TDs than Aldo. Many will find that controversial, but they shouldn't. When Aldo chooses to use his TDs they are elite. Aldo is like GSP - not a ammy wrestler, but in MMA one of the best both offensively and defensively.

Chad had cardio issues but it is not the same with Edgar.
Edgar would be a bigger problem for Conor than Aldo.

Conor will be very comfortable against Aldo in a stand up fight.
Edgar would dominate him on the ground for all rounds

UFC is counting on Edgar to lose to someone else before that fight, in order to make a case for him not deserving it. Frankie asked for the fight, had 4 straight victories vs Chad's 1, and somehow Chad got the fight. It just seems fishy to me.

No - Aldo DOEs has an equal or better top game than Frankie.

His BJJ is easily the best in the division. He crucifixed Faber, a high level grappler, like nothing. Florian is a high level black belt and Aldo mounted him numerous times, slicing thru his guard like butter. Frankie's guard passing is not in the same galaxy as Aldo's.

They both have solid GNP. Aldo opened up a baseball on Hominick with GNP. Edgar has shown improved GNP of late.

As for TDs, Aldo's are extremely effective for MMA. It's no accident he has one of the highest TD success rates in MMA history. Aldo mixes things up great, plus he is very strong, with great timing and technique.

Frankly it's not a given that Frankie has better TDs than Aldo. Many will find that controversial, but they shouldn't. When Aldo chooses to use his TDs they are elite. Aldo is like GSP - not a ammy wrestler, but in MMA one of the best both offensively and defensively.

Finally someone who actually knows something about Aldo fights.

I wonder if kids who bought the UFC's Koolaid will stop posting on sherdog when Aldo knocks him out.

Or, will they switch to Ronda Rousey avatars? that's the real question here.

Aldo will crush McCregor. Where he wants, easy.

Edgar took fucking Ben Henderson down. McGregor would stuff him early but eventually he would succumb to Edgar endless cardio

Every round starts standing. I doubt Edgar can last 5 without getting KO'd.

Many will agree.

But bettors would not.

It's by and large the same people who thought Mendes would be tougher for Conor than Aldo now say that for Frankie.

But bettors would disagree. Aldo was favored over Conor slightly, but when replaced by Mendes, Chad was was an underdog. It went from Aldo -140 to Conor -140.

Now Conor is favored this time around. But Edgar would be an even bigger underdog than Aldo is.

Remember, Aldo has great TDs as well. And a much better top game - his BJJ is so sick. He made Florian look like a white belt, the way he sliced through his guard.

The only thing Edgar really has on Aldo is cardio.

I think you remembered things slightly wrong. Aldo opened as favorite over Conor but was underdog by the time the fight was getting close. Same with Chad. He opened as slight favorite but was underdog by fight time. Aldo was a bigger favorite than Chad, but the short notice may have contributed to that. Essentially I still agree with your point that Edgar would be a bigger underdog vs Conor than Aldo currently is.

I think that's wrong though. I think Edgar has a better chance than Aldo. The cardio is very important, but I think the movement/wrestling combination is big too. Frankie is one of the few featherweights whom Conor has complimented; at the Time Is Now press conference he spoke about Edgar having heart, and that he respects his style. I don't think one can say Aldo has a definitive edge over Frankie one the ground. I think he's a more powerful, explosive, and varied striker than Frankie, and they're the only obvious advantages he has over him. Edgar has better movement, which will give him a better chance on the feet while he mixes in takedowns, and won't gas.

Edgar doesnt have ko power at all. That pitter patter style wont do shit to MC Gregor. Goat would actually hurt him bad and dominate him or finish him. Too big and strong for Frankie, and i am a big fan.

I don't really care what bookies say, Conor is a better striker than Aldo and Aldo is less likely to try and point fight against a guy he hates than Edgar is.

People seem to forget that Aldo likes to get angry and try and get revenge any time a fighter lands a punch on him, that could be his downfall in this fight.

Aldo has Edgar's number, as Aldo has elite TD defence and much better striking and timing than Edgar.

Edgar has quick feet and likes to avoid the fight until he has you down, this would be a hard style for Conor to beat, as Conor needs a guy to want to fight to make his style work.

Different set of problems from Frankie. Conor loses to both Aldo and Edgar though, that much is clear after seeing how the Mendes fight played out.

Yeah. Don't get me wrong Aldo is legit. The FW goat for sure.

But I slightly favor Conor due to style matchup. I wouldn't be too shocked if Aldo won though.

I have been saying it for months, Edgar is a way worse matchup than Mendes. He has more experience taking down bigger guys, even welterweight wrestlers like Bendo. His gas tank is endless. In my opinion, chads biggest mistake is he doesn't always use his footwork and movement very well. That's exactly what cost him the fight. He was gassed and stationary against a superior striker. I don't have to tell you that Edgar is never stationary and lanced shots on him nowadays is not an easy task. What he did to swanson sums it up.

Edgar probably has the best boxing in the division. It's almost a GSP like transformation.

Back