Does anyone else think Edgar is a bigger challenge to Conor than Aldo?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by MMAProfessional, Aug 18, 2015.

1. MMAProfessional

MMAProfessional Golden Belt

IMO I think Edgar would be a tougher fight for Conor. The main reason being because Frankie has elite conditioning and great wrestling. Aldo's striking wasn't that much better then Chad's even though Chad gave up a huge size advantage. Because of this I'm giving Conor the striking advantage (Chad looked like a fish out of the water on his feet against Conor). Jose also has poor cardio, which if he can't survive on his feet he will look for the ground game. If he can get it there he will gas pretty fast much like Chad did. Frankie is good enough and big enough on his feet to not look so vulnerable and also has the takedown when he needs it. Also Conor can't welcome the takedown by throwing crazy kicks because Edgar can grind out a round on top and be fresh the next round.

2. mangokush

mangokush Brown Belt

Of course he is.

The UFC know that and instead gave Connor Mendes on 2 weeks notice.

The UFC know that Edgar would destroy Connor.

3. Fyreborn

Fyreborn Brown Belt

Many will agree.

But bettors would not.

It's by and large the same people who thought Mendes would be tougher for Conor than Aldo now say that for Frankie.

But bettors would disagree. Aldo was favored over Conor slightly, but when replaced by Mendes, Chad was was an underdog. It went from Aldo -140 to Conor -140.

Now Conor is favored this time around. But Edgar would be an even bigger underdog than Aldo is.

Remember, Aldo has great TDs as well. And a much better top game - his BJJ is so sick. He made Florian look like a white belt, the way he sliced through his guard.

The only thing Edgar really has on Aldo is cardio.

4. IHWBass57

IHWBass57 Blue Belt

It would be interesting to see what Edgar could do on the mat, his movement, cardio, and timing are great. I'm no technical expert, but I feel like Edgar just doesn't throw with enough power to disrupt Conor. If he can't get it done on the mat I would just wonder in the 25 minute window when Conor will land that big strike. Frankie's chin and recovery are legendary, but how many fights will it take before he doesn't get up after the bomb.

5. Peteyandjia

Peteyandjia Winter Orchid Staff Member Forum Administrator

Yep. Frankie's conditioning is endless, he's faster than Urijah Faber, & his wrestling transitions are top-notch. That said, Conor still has great timing & power, size & reach so it's an interesting matchup for sure.

Jose is still an incredible challenge, but his strength is Conor's strength so it's head-on. Unless Jose actually tried to grapple-sub Conor. But that's not been his usual element for the last bunch of years.

6. fortheo

fortheo Steel Belt

I do think that Edgar is a horrible stylistic match up for Conor. I'd love to see Conor try those kicks he loves against Edgar. Everyone who has ever kicked Edgar has been taken down by Edgar. Also, Conor has shown vulnerability to knee taps—One of Edgar's specialties. Not only that, but Conor's bottom game looked very tame. Edgar would sub him in round 4 or 5.

7. Estudante

Estudante Brown Belt

Edgar took fucking Ben Henderson down. McGregor would stuff him early but eventually he would succumb to Edgar endless cardio

8. mkess101

mkess101 Not the hero he deserves, but the hero he needs

Aldo doesn't have "a much better top game" than Frankie. They both have extrememly effective top games, just different. Frankie wears you down by controlling you and thrown insane volume from the top. Aldo, like you said, has terrific bjj.

And Aldo doesn't have Frankie's timing or tenacity on td's. Aldo doesn't seem to want to even try them anymore but if he does his td's aren't as good as Frankie's.

The problems that Frankie presents for Conor might not be more or less than what Aldo does, just different. His constant movement makes him a harder target to hit (especially because he no longer commits to throwing power shots so he's insanely hard to counter). He mixes in takedowns and has great top control. His cardio is among the best in MMA. The problem is that at some point he may need to make Conor respect his power and I don't know if he can.

9. VictorCosta

VictorCosta Brown Belt

If Conor can beat Aldo, I truly believe he can beat anyone that Aldo already fought. But still a nightmare match up for conor.

10. MagnusGOAT

MagnusGOAT Make America Great Britain again.

Yeah. Edgar isn't the better fighter than Aldo, but he has the better style to beat Conor compared to Aldo.

11. VinceArch

VinceArch Venom in the veins.

Of course he is. The UFC knows this and that's the reason why they gave Chad the shot and not Frankie when Jose was injured.

12. mkess101

mkess101 Not the hero he deserves, but the hero he needs

Not since he's abandoned throwing power shots. He doesn't sit down on his punches much anymore and never stands in the pocket and trades like he used to.

Go watch the fights you're thinking of (Maynard II and III) and then watch his recent fights. He just fights differently now. The odds of him landing the power shots he put Gray away with in their third fight now are very slim since he won't commit to them. But the odds of him getting tagged like he did in both those fights is also much, much lower now.

13. KantoTerror

KantoTerror Silver Belt

Edgar always comes with great game plan...add the factor that he's tough to finish, good wrestling and great stamina. He's an upgrade version of Mendez...it's going to look like Edgar - Swanson...

14. LouisBolanos

LouisBolanos Popcorn tastes good

Are people all of a sudden forgetting how badly Maynard hurt him with strikes on multiple occasions?

Conor haters are funny. First it was this guy wasn't even top 10, then it was anyone in top 5 destroys him, then it's WTF he doesn't deserve a shot Aldo murks him, then it's HAHAHA Conor is fucked Mendes is nightmare, then it's waaah~~ Mendes wasn't in shape, and now it's...Frankie is a worse match up than Aldo?

It's like people hate Conor, but have so little confidence in their hate they're already moving past Aldo to the next challenge for Conor. It's like they're already trying to convince themselves of the excuse in case Aldo loses 4 months before the fight: oh Conor is just a bad match up for Aldo (not to mention Aldo has ring rust). Jesus, grow a pair and have some confidence in your champion will ya? If Conor's so overrated, Aldo would for sure murk him...right?

15. MMAProfessional

Kinda what I already feel. I'm a Conor fan (obviously) but am not worried about Aldo but am worried about Edgar. Edgar has more question marks but I think Conor getting taken down was due to his crazy kicks and Chad's cardio. Something that Conor would probably eliminate against Edgar.

16. DJ Deuce Groan

DJ Deuce Groan Yellow Belt

I agree with most of this, except the part about Edgar destroying Conor.
    This would be a fun fight to watch, but if Conor fights long and stays on his feet then I think he would eventually knock out Edgar.

17. MMAProfessional

I don't think Jose was all that injured which kinda adds to my theory lol. If I were a champ for as long as Jose was I would be confident I could win with a bruised rib...

18. Bones245n4847

Bones245n4847 Red Belt

No, Edgar just pitter patters and would have to beat Aldo over 5 rounds which is too difficult. Connor has nuclear fists and when he hits these featherweights, it's a whole new ballgame. Connor might not be able to beat Aldo in a 5 round fight, but he can definitely end the night early with Herb Dean or Big John pulling him off a semi-conscious Aldo.

19. Kneeuinthenutz

Kneeuinthenutz Steel Belt

Miyagi Do - Cobra Kai Dojo Kicking Major Ass.
    There isn't enough data to make an accurate prediction.

We will have a much better idea in a few months. I personally think Edgar would be very effective against Conor.

20. Drake

Drake Guest

Perfectly said.