Does anyone else get social anxiety in big classes?

IamnotJonFitch

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Because I really do. I've always gone to small morning classes, but every time I go to an evening class it's packed and I get really nervous and antsy.

I usually go three mornings a week but have been planning to go more in the evenings, but I really struggle getting in there. Is this weird?

Just focus on the basics of what you're doing, not the social aspect. People are there to learn Jiu Jitsu, they're not sizing you up.

Nah, social anxiety is for teenagers, nobody is judging you.

remember they are your teammates; you are all on the same team. you all are helping eachother, and it's just practice.

Because I really do. I've always gone to small morning classes, but every time I go to an evening class it's packed and I get really nervous and antsy.

I usually go three mornings a week but have been planning to go more in the evenings, but I really struggle getting in there. Is this weird?

i probably do, but i just compartmentalize it and focus on jiu jitsu

Lol. Did I write this? I feel the same way.

But on a serious note I have the same issue. I go to morning classes because it's less people. The night class is packed and I don't want to feel like a stranger since I haven't trained night classes well over a year. Plus there is a kids class before the adult class and I feel awkward waiting around for kids class to end. Plus I'm not big on small talk when everyone else is socializing.

Never been in a big classroom before. Didn't go the college route. But I can only imagine I would hate it.

What courses are you taking?

A class isn't just something that has to be taken at a college, bro...

Like pottery class, for example.

I clicked on this thread from under Latest Threads. I assumed it was in the Mayberry Lounge and had to do with big College or University classes. You'll have to excuse me for being an idiot. I am going to quietly exit this thread now. :redface:

I clicked on this thread from under Latest Threads. I assumed it was in the Mayberry Lounge and had to do with big College or University classes. You'll have to excuse me for being an idiot. I am going to quietly exit this thread now. :redface:

Haha, it's all good man.

Also, I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this.

I feel a bit awkward when the kids class is still going on and I walk up with my whitebelt on as a grown man...

I feel like Kramer in that Seinfeld episode where he joined karate and was beating up the little kids, because they were all at the same skill level after all...

Lots of people suffer/deal with social anxiety. You are most certainly not alone with that feeling. There are thousands of studies done on this topic that suggest some form of meditaiton is very helpful.

I think the first step would be to not judge your thoughts about anxiety. For example, when it comes on your first reaction shouldn't be, "oh shit here we go agian." Be okay with what you're feeling and know it's actually a natural response. When people are taken out of their comfort zone things like this happen. It's a natural response.

Second, meet people. Introduce yourself and learn peoples names. Everyone is the same boat as you in your class.

Third, focus on your class. Be in the moment and not worrying about your heart rate, or what ever.

You're good.

yes. but I go anyway. people just think im an anti social ass most likely, but I have bad social anxiety and its not easy for me to talk to people in big group settings like class can be.

I get a little bit anxious before every class regardless of size, and I've training for nearly eight years.

Compared to a party or even worse a job interview or a speech, jiu jitsu practice doesn't bug me.
I definitely have social anxiety.
one thing I love about jiujitsu is popularity / social standing means nothing.
A nerd like myself can choke people fine

Think of it like this...the bigger the class the more you blend in. The smaller the class the more closely you are watched. I can't tell you how to feel but one would think you should feel less anxiety at the bigger classes.

Think of it like this...the bigger the class the more you blend in. The smaller the class the more closely you are watched. I can't tell you how to feel but one would think you should feel less anxiety at the bigger classes.

wise words here. Imagine in a small class with just 6 people and the instructor. As you are doing your reps, it's inevitable that the attention of the entire class will be fixed on you at sometime as the instructor attempts to transition to another part of training

Just don't worry about anything. Nobody is there to judge you, size you up, get your number or anything. Everyone is there to get their own training in and have a good time. I can also tell you that the higher belts are likely not thinking anything bad about all the white belts there. They're probably more preoccupied about what they're gonna teach/work on during training.

Just relax and casually start up a conversation with one person or so and stick with it

I'm just the opposite. Late class earlier this week was just four of us and the instructor. He skipped drilling and instead rolled with each of us in front of the others and then gave critiques. I freeze up pathetically in these situations.

Back