Does Anyone Else Find Brett Okamoto Infuriatingly Annoying?

MMAProfessional

Golden Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Not sure what it is about him but with all this craziness I'm having to watch MMA content I typically would pass on. I personally like Ariel, he's very conversational and seems to be more of a bud to fighters. Brett is all corporate and always has this weird concentration face. He seems so serious and everything seems to be scripted and business. Even if a fighter makes a light hearted joke he seems to force a laugh because he thinks he should instead of actually laughing.

Maybe I'm just a hater who knows.

Ariel is a weasel, which is why so many fighters refuse to talk to him. He always wants to involve himself in the story, so he would mouth off about fighters and then act like he did nothing wrong. I cant count how many times he would get a fighter on and start the conversation by saying something like "So I heard you have beef with me". It gets old. Even Khabib wont talk to him anymore.

He tries to play the "I don't understand what I did wrong " card. Hes an instigator. He thinks manufacturing drama is doing people a favor. He even started going as far as baiting fighters to talk shit about another fighter, all while having the other fighter on the phone on hold. Then when the fighter talks about the other fighter he says, "Oh, we just happen to have that other fighter on the line, do you want to talk to him?"

You also know the dog faced pony soldier doesn't even like mma. He hates violence and complains about the brutality of fights all the time. Hes the type of guy who would rather talk about whos in the crowd than watch the fight. Mma needs to rid itself of this crybaby once and for all, as he only became an mma reporter because he saw it as an opening to become a reporter and transition to basketball. He calls himself a journalist when in reality hes nothing more than a glorified interviewer.

Ariels Wednesday show no longer exists and I assume its because the ratings were down. His regular mma show no longer airs either. Its now DC and Helwani. I assume thats a last ditch effort to save his failing show. Ariel is the type of guy to be given a career by Dana white then leak the biggest news the ufc had planned after they asked him in confidence not to talk about it, then cry because they banned him. Ariel does get a lot of praise for his "tough questions", but Ive found he asks a lot of incredibly stupud questions that make me shake my head.

Brett Okamoto is just a bland handsome guy, I have no real issues with him. He does an adequate job and Ive heard him ask tough questions, he just knows not too push it too far.

He’s Disney state media what do you expect
His job is to report what the UFC tells him

I don’t mind him..he also has a cool name...Brett like all American and kind of girlie, but Okamoto..kind of like an Asian fighter..

I don't mind him, but based from other threads on sherdog you are not alone with the disliking him.

Not sure what it is about him but with all this craziness I'm having to watch MMA content I typically would pass on. I personally like Ariel, he's very conversational and seems to be more of a bud to fighters. Brett is all corporate and always has this weird concentration face. He seems so serious and everything seems to be scripted and business. Even if a fighter makes a light hearted joke he seems to force a laugh because he thinks he should instead of actually laughing.

Brett is ok, but he is a bit bland

Ariel is a weasel, which is why so many fighters refuse to talk to him. He always wants to involve himself in the story, so he would mouth off about fighters and then act like he did nothing wrong. I cant count how many times he would get a fighter on and start the conversation by saying something like "So I heard you have beef with me". It gets old. Even Khabib wont talk to him anymore.

He tries to play the "I don't understand what I did wrong " card. Hes an instigator. He thinks manufacturing drama is doing people a favor. He even started going as far as baiting fighters to talk shit about another fighter, all while having the other fighter on the phone on hold. Then when the fighter talks about the other fighter he says, "Oh, we just happen to have that other fighter on the line, do you want to talk to him?"

You also know the dog faced pony soldier doesn't even like mma. He hates violence and complains about the brutality of fights all the time. Hes the type of guy who would rather talk about whos in the crowd than watch the fight. Mma needs to rid itself of this crybaby once and for all, as he only became an mma reporter because he saw it as an opening to become a reporter and transition to basketball. He calls himself a journalist when in reality hes nothing more than a glorified interviewer.

Ariels Wednesday show no longer exists and I assume its because the ratings were down. His regular mma show no longer airs either. Its now DC and Helwani. I assume thats a last ditch effort to save his failing show. Ariel is the type of guy to be given a career by Dana white then leak the biggest news the ufc had planned after they asked him in confidence not to talk about it, then cry because they banned him. Ariel does get a lot of praise for his "tough questions", but Ive found he asks a lot of incredibly stupud questions that make me shake my head.

Brett Okamoto is just a bland handsome guy, I have no real issues with him. He does an adequate job and Ive heard him ask tough questions, he just knows not too push it too far.

The reason why Ariel show is on hold right now and you get DC/Ariel thing or just a long interview on random day is because of COVID. There is literally hardly anything to talk about over the last two months and surely not fighter after fighter for 3+ hours. Most fighters are sitting at home and work out consist of running around the block or hitting some bags in the garage or basement.

Brett seems to be the UFC's news leaker for when the UFC wants to send something new worthy out. Similar to what Ariel was back in the day.

I guess you have to play nice guy if you want that type of access. But like in the past I'm sure eventually Brett will do something questionable the that door will be shut on him to.

No fighters managed by Abdelasleaze will talk to Ariel anymore. Ali forbid it after Ali made fun of Ariel, then Ariel dunked on Ali on twitter and Ali’s vagina hurt.

He doesn't look or sound anything like okamoto. Well, we had a Kentucky man named Mohammad Ali.

Are there really that many fighters that won’t talk to him? Cowboy, Dana, and Ali clients are the only ones I can think of

Are there really that many fighters that won’t talk to him? Cowboy, Dana, and Ali clients are the only ones I can think of
Considering that base covers three current UFC champions, an interim champ, and a slew of other fighters, for a guy who ignores everything outside the UFC, that’s a pretty big deal.

He's just boring. Cookie cutter-esque,

Ariel is the only interesting MMA commentator. Chael is very captivating but he talks a whole bunch of nothing, most of the time.

Considering that base covers three current UFC champions, an interim champ, and a slew of other fighters, for a guy who ignores everything outside the UFC, that’s a pretty big deal.
I actually think it hurts Ali’s clients more than hurts Ariel. Ariel got the Conor, Jones, nick and Nate Diaz, Ferguson, Covington, and masdival interviews prior to their fights. It helps promote the fighters. Ariel actually helped Cejudo get his cringe character out there. Usman has zero publicity even after the crazy fight with Covington.

He's Dana's new pet. Breaks whatever story Dana wants him to but won't challenge him on anything. A better looking, less confrontational Ariel.

I can’t stand him
As you said everything seems to be scripted and business

Back