Does anyone actually own a Sako? Are they really that good?

Ninja Realist

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Cliff Notes:

-Are Sako rifles really as good as people on the internet claim?

-Are there equally good .270 bolt action rifles that are cheaper and equally effective?

Hey guys I own two relatively cheap though effective guns, a shotgun and a pistol, and am interested in buying a rifle

I've been going back and forth between the thought of getting a semi-automatic assault rifle or a really laser accurate bolt-action style hunting rifle, but since the shotgun is my go to home defense weapon and I don't really need another, I'm leaning towards the hunting rifle.

I'd always thought I would get an old WW2 bolt action rifle, but lately I've been considering getting a high-end rifle chambered in .270 which in my experience is a very accurate cartridge that is nonetheless quite powerful. I took my first deer with a .270 and the bullet was right on the money. It exploded the heart and killed the deer almost instantly.

Of all the .270 rifles I've looked at, the Sako is the one that really seems to stand out. All the reviews I've read of this gun are fantastic but one major drawback is the high price tag. New these guns go for like 2K and I haven't seen a used one for less than $700. That's a lot more than many bolt rifles cost.

Still if the gun is as good as people claim it might be worth the money.

Do Sako owners really think this rifle is all that (does it deserve the high price tag)? Are there cheaper .270 bolt-action rifles that are just as good in your opinion?

I have a Sako 85 stainless/synthetic in 300 Winmag. Yes it is a great rifle, dime size groups at 200yd no problem, very well made.

On the less expensive side but still very good rifles: Tikka, Savage, and Remington 700

If your looking for high end heirloom quality check out Sauer rifles.

The sako85 is no doubt an excellent gun. I have shot one but never owned one. IN my opinion for a hunting rifle it's over priced.

My suggestion would be a Savage 11/111 BTH or a KImber classic in .270.
The Kimber classic is a bit lighter. Either one of those with a good scope will serve as an excellent hunting rifle

Yes, and yes they are.

I own a Sako 75 in 6,5x55, and it is the nicest rifle I've ever shot. I've owned/handled Winchesters, Remingtons, Weatherbys, and Kimbers, and I still prefer my 75. They are very well built, and mine shoots .75moa with Hornady SPs at 100 meters.

Next bolt action I buy is going to be their TRG.

Ok, thanks for the info you guys. I will look into those other cheaper alternatives for rifles chambered in .270, but it's good to know that these Sako rifles actually live up to all the internet hype.

I'll post an update when I finally make a purchase but it might not be for a while. I really want to take my time and get the very best rifle I can afford.

As somebody else mentioned, if money is a concern i'd take a long hard look at a Tikka T3. They are made in the same factory as Sako, but don't come with some of the "deluxe" features (Steel bottom metal, double stack steel magazine etc etc) that the Sakos do.

They are very accurate rifles, and have an action that is nearly as smooth as the 75s and 85s. About the only bad thing I can say about them is that the magazine is a bit too flimsy for my taste.

ETA: While I grew up hunting/shooting my dad's Remington 700 in .270, and I know that it is a good cartridge. I think you should look into a .260 or .308.

My father has a Sako Finnfire .22 that I've shot pretty extensively, and it's a phenomenal rifle. It's accurate, the trigger is wonderful, and I really have nothing to complain about it, except that it's his instead of mine. It's one of the nicest rifles I've ever shot.

Also, I agree with the Tikka T3 recommendations.They're awesome guns for the price.

The TRGs are used by military and police around the world

The sako quad looks interesting. It would be nice to shoot .22lr for cheap practice and then switch to .22 win mag if you want to take out a yote every once in a while. I think the cz 455 is also supposed to have barrel swaps, but I'm not sure how that affects the rifles performance.

http://www.sako.fi/sakoquad.php

Back