Does anybody remember the Ice Cube/ Cypress Hill beef in the mid 90's? it almost got REAL serious

I'm so glad we got past this toxic era of rap.

This harm this culture caused society persists today, but at least it's fading...

I remember all of this stuff happening, but didn't know about this Solo guy.

We could see something similar happening with this Tekashi 69 goofball that keeps popping up in my Youtube recommendations. Seems he keeps testing people and getting in trouble.

EDIT: didn't see the post about it above.

I enjoy the music of both. I’m glad no one died.

Temples of Boom is a fucking great album. I played that album non-stop from Halloween '95 when it was released until Cypress Hill IV came out in October '98. My dad used to rap along with Illusions. Haha.

Their first four albums are absolute necessities for any hip-hop collection.

Once Skull & Bones came out, they started falling off, their sound when they added the rock in just sounded too generic.

Stoned Raiders was a good album too. They found a better way to do the rap/rock thing, came out more trippy and sounded a lot better than the previous album.

Till Death Do Us Part from 2004 was the last album of theirs I bought. I remember being underwhelmed by it.

Also, that first Psycho Realm album is fucking great too!

Some dude named Solo pulled up next to Ice Cube at a red light and knocked him the fuck out, woke him back up, stole his Westside Connection chain and rolex, lol. Gave the chain to Cypress Hill and they held it up at a concert and showed it to the crowd and took pictures with it, lol.

That same dude voiced the black guy in GTA V.

I vaguely remember this, sort of, I think. Seems like maybe I heard something about it back then. Anyway, this shit almost got REAL serious. We're talkin city-wide violence / killings.

This is really interesting to me. It's a 13 min video but it's really well done, check this out: :D

Cliffs:

- Ice Cube and Cypress Hill were cool with each other and worked with each other in the studio

- Ice Cube straight up stole a hook Cypress Hill was gonna use as a single (and he did, he stole that shit and put it on the Friday soundtrack, lol).

- They both put out several diss tracks about each other

- Mack 10 was a blood but was with Cube. Cypress Hill were bloods too but Mack 10 said fuckit he was with Cube so he was ready to do some stuff.

- Some dude named Solo pulled up next to Ice Cube at a red light and knocked him the fuck out, woke him back up, stole his Westside Connection chain and rolex, lol. Gave the chain to Cypress Hill and they held it up at a concert and showed it to the crowd and took pictures with it, lol.

- Ice T made a public plea for Cube and Cypress Hill to make peace with each other.

- The fucking Mexican Mafia told Cypress Hill they were with them and they were about to get involved. That would mean city-wide killings, basically. And Cube was gonna end up getting killed too most likely.

- They called each other after Tupac's death and worked it out with B Reel (Cypress Hill) and Cube and Mack 10. They're cool now.

ace91b03cd16b6f3678660cd184af26a.500x323x1.jpg

vs

155AA0454FB1E5D50F0819

Thoughts:

I always loved Cypress Hill but had no idea they were not to be fucked with like that! They're seriously connected and everything I've seen or read about this beef all said that Cube would have ended up dead if he'd kept going. Cube was not actually gangster, but he had gangsters with him. But Cypress Hill WAS gangster, and had all kinds of other people ready to jump in with them, like the Mexican Mafia, certain Bloods, the Mongrels MC club, all kinds of ESE's, etc.

Ice Cube DEFINITELY stole their hook! It plays the 2 songs in that video above for comparison, and there's no doubt. He ripped them off and screwed 'em over. Apparently Cube is shady like that. These guys aren't the only ones that said Cube did that to them.

Thanks for sharing. I knew that the beef was legit but never knew exactly where it begun and what was really happen ...

Cool that this mess did not escalate that much. Would have been real tragic. Always a Cypress Hill fan.

Lol no one in Cypress Hill is Mexican, not sure I buy the part about the Mexican Mafia.

Fyi the dude that took Cube's chain is the voice actor for Franklin in GTA V. He was a friend of Kam who had a falling out with Cube at the time.
B-Real born in L.A. to a Mexican father and a Cuban mother. Isn't this enough for you. He and the group have always had affinity with the Latin public. If you don't know shit how can you buy arguments ?

You think DJ fuckin Muggs had any street pull on Ice Cube? Fuck no
How could you know that? So, fuck Yes...
This is a hip hop battle, and Ice Cubes King of the Hill shitted on Cypress Hill.
Just as Cypress shit on Cube for copy-pasting. Cube is the one that look bad on this one.

Solo isn't in Cypress Hill, and stole the chain from Cube during a scuffle. Cube wasn't KOd.
Solo was clearly a friend from Cypress, he doesn't need to be part af the musical group to wanna jump with them. You said that Cube wasn't KO'ed when the fact is that he indeed stole the chain and the Rolex, please explain what happen then smartass.

No bloods were going to help Cypress Hill, only the Mexican Mafia and thats even debatable and honestly Cube has and had alot of pull.
Honestly you don't know shit about this, you 're just biased to Cube.

Hip Hop wise Ice Cube won the battle without question. Cypress diss songs were stupid.
Lol, Cube didn't win shit as it's so obvious what he did with Cypress's lines. Actually Cube lost a chain, a Rolex and some fans.
Street Wise, Kid Frost had 10 times the pull then Cypress Hill ever had.
This topic ain't about Kid Frost. And is debatable.
Cypress Hill werent even Mexican, so its funny that people think Mexicans were going to fight for them
lol... this confirmed that you don't know shit.

Anyone remember the MC Eiht/DJ Quik beef?

And Canibus/LL Cool J as well?

i think that was ving rhames narrating.

edit: no that's not ving rhames, he did the narration on Beef 2. I think the narrator on this one is Keith David (black dude from The Thing).

I get their voices mixed up too. Still not sure which one of them does the V.O. for the Arby's commercials.

I thought that the Westside Connection track was much better than the Cypress Hill songs but I didn't know any of the backstory. Didn't know that Cube got his shit stolen like that. Obviously Ice Cube isn't really a gangster and I don't know about Mack 10, I always figured that WC was legit and it's interesting that he wasn't on the song.

Which was in response to this song, released one year prior (in 1995)

Here's the song and hook in question:

I've always been alone in this but I don't see how a common rhyme like "Throw your hands in the air/ wave them around like you just don't care" could create so much shit.

That's been around for decades. Snoop Dogg used it in "What's My Name" a few years prior and I'm pretty sure I've heard some New York rappers say it back in the 80s.

Ice Cube and Mack 10 wrecked them in King of the Hill tho

Lol no one in Cypress Hill is Mexican, not sure I buy the part about the Mexican Mafia.

Fyi the dude that took Cube's chain is the voice actor for Franklin in GTA V. He was a friend of Kam who had a falling out with Cube at the time.

Young blood over here..

This thread ain't for you son.

Solo was clearly a friend from Cypress, he doesn't need to be part af the musical group to wanna jump with them. You said that Cube wasn't KO'ed when the fact is that he indeed stole the chain and the Rolex, please explain what happen then smartass.

This is wrong. Solo was not a friend of Cypress. Solo was a friend of Ice Cube's. He ran with Kam who was beefing with Cube over money at the time. Cube shouts them out on You Know How We Do It: "Kam and Solo, they got nuts"

I don't know if Cube got knocked out but they did get into a fight and Solo took his chain. To Cube's credit, he threw down and didn't punk out. Cypress should not get any credit for that incident. They had nothing to do with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back