Does anybody NOT like their shoyoroll Gi?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by shima, Aug 29, 2010.

1. shima

shima Yellow Belt

I have been reading about the shoyoroll gi for a while and everybody pretty much states its their number 1 gi after purchasing one. I pretty much base 80% of my purchases for gear off the G and E reviews. My wife is ordering one for my bday from this next batch. I was just curious if anybody didn't like their gi and why.

2. jasoncyclops**

jasoncyclops** Red Belt

i read a lot of bad stuff about their Gi pants
    especially the shrinkage and the cut

3. BorisBJJ

BorisBJJ White Belt

There's a lot of variance in every batch of gis produced by gi companies.

SYR gained some fame for certain batches that were a hit with consumers.

Their last batch, the Competition 500, wasn't good. I got one, wore it a few times, then sold it to a forum member.

4. k1d

k1d White Belt

Thats weird.
    I like my competition 500 over my batch 6

5. Siva

Siva White Belt

I have the Comp 450. The jacket is great, the pants on the other hand shrunk like crazy. They still fit somewhat decently, but are uncomfortable to me. I don't really see too much point in the extra loopholes around them and just use the 2 front ones. The stretchy rope is the worst thing ever.

However, the style and uniqueness of the gi make up for the pants. I'm looking forward to ordering a Golden State :D

FYI 6'0" 170lbs and have an A2.

6. Arkitekt

Arkitekt Green Belt

I don't personally own a SYR but I was considering getting one until i've read about their poor customer service. Thats a huge selling point for me especially when you're spending big bucks on high-end products.

7. fighting.spirit

fighting.spirit Yellow Belt

Hmm, indeed you make a valid point. Especially when it's an international order.

8. Fulldraw

Fulldraw White Belt

I agree!! rope sucks and batch 6 ripstop pants shrunk WAY TOO much, top is great.
    I range from 170-180lbs at 5'9 and the pants will not meet IBJJF regs. Never put in the dryer, worn 2 times now it sits in my closet.

9. Fulldraw

Fulldraw White Belt

I agree!! rope sucks and batch 6 ripstop pants shrunk WAY TOO much, top is great.
    I range from 170-180lbs at 5'9 and the pants will not meet IBJJF regs. Never put in the dryer, worn 2 times now it sits in my closet.

10. BigCP84**

BigCP84** There are no absolutes!

I think there biggest hit was the Blackstar... I like their Gis, I had the blackstar but due to rules of my new gym I sold it (only purple and up can wear black gis), but I still have my SuperLite RS. The pants are very comfortable and roomy (I am a big guy too, 6'1" 250lbs) but I wish they were a little longer, they stop right above my ankle.

11. nykayfabe

nykayfabe Green Belt

I liked my batch #6 white and blue kimonos aesthetically, but was never too comfortable in either one. The pants are cut too slim for me and they shrunk up a lot (especially the white ones). Also, the collars were really flimsy on both and the sleeves were a tad long. I sold them both.

12. irc

irc Brown Belt

I tore my ripstop pants to shreds on the 3rd use. This wasn't so bad, but getting them replaced was a ridiculous debacle. Would never get a SYR gi.

13. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

I've read mixed things. My instructor loves his syr and had the pants rip, Vince sent him a new pair.

I've read people on this forum and others that had a horrible experience.

14. tlrnick

tlrnick Orange Belt

The pants suck ass on these Gi's but the jackets are brilliant. Customer service not the best unfortunately.

15. chino3

chino3 Purple Belt

the comp 450 was my first SYR. The jacket is the bees knees. I LOVE how thick the lapel is, and the jacket is light but still super sturdy. The pants shrunk WAY too much. The length is perfect after about 5 minutes of rolling (IBJJF reg wise) but the crotch area shrunk up quite a bit too... After about a month of rolling in it (twice a week, with washes after each use) a random hole has developed. not big right now, so no big deal.

That said, I competed this weekend in my Vulkan pro light, because it just feels a little more well rounded in all areas, if that makes sense? I brought both gis, but decided on the vulkan, maybe just because it was my first gi, and the one I am most used to? dunno.

I will be ordering a 7th son though :)

16. MUFC

MUFC Brown Belt

Everyone I know with that Vulkan loves it. Sadly, I don't think I fit into any of the sizes.

17. shima

shima Yellow Belt

Customer service is a huge factor for me. With the limited amount of gi's each batch, I would hate to have to return it for some reason and not be able to get a replacement. Torn between rolling the dice and snatching up the 7th son or just going with an Isami.
    still over a week to decide before pre-orders start.

18. nykayfabe

nykayfabe Green Belt

So long as you're aware that the Isami is not a very tapered fit (it's also not a wizard's robe, either), I don't think you could possibly be disappointed by the Isami. They use a completely different feeling, super-soft cotton. The weight of the top hits the right balance between comfortably light but heavy enough so as not to be rag while rolling. And, it looks sick.

19. Sir Tapsalot

Sir Tapsalot Orange Belt

I've always had great service from SYR, when my batch 4 got lost in the mail Vince immediately sent out a replacement and even changed the size for me. Given how popular Shoyoroll has become over the last 18 months it's got to be tough for one guy to handle all the requests etc, so I'm sure any feelings of bad service that customers are experiencing are not due to lack of care on Vince's part.

As to the original question - I love my SYRs, but they're not perfect. IMO the sizing is wrong. I had to wash all of my A1 SYRs multiple times at 70c to get them to fit, and they're still bigger then my other A1s (Koral Classic, Koral Light and Fushida Mantis). Isay that they need to lose an inch in sleeve length and width, and at least 4-5 inches in body width to be a true A1. In particular the body is pretty baggy IMO, just feels like with a bit of good cutting it would fit much better. Only other minor gripe is that the stretchy rope for tying the pants is too stretchy. Some good solid cotton cord would be much better.

But even having said all that, I still think they're a great gi, and pretty well priced too. I don't regret buying my 3 SYRs (1x Batch 4 and the Ripstock and Blue Superlite from Batch 6), but probably won't be buying another until I'm confident that the sizing has improved.

James

20. ohmalley

ohmalley Blue Belt

hey james, sounds like you're an a0 in syr, not an a1. there doesn't exist any uniform standard for sizing between gi manufacturers, and it seems too tall an order to expect one company to match their sizing to others -- especially when other companys vary from eachother as well.

i take an a1 as well usually (5'4, 157): syr, keiko, manto, lucky, venum and koral are all a1s. but in fuji's, the old lucky's, and a few others i'd need an a2 for the jacket to fit right.

i'm not saying you should buy a syr. i like mine but i'm not surprised to hear some ppl hate them. everyone's different. but if you like the syr construction, feel and styling, why not go with an A0? sounds like it could be the happy medium you're looking for.

cheers!